runnit

How's everyone's 2014 going so far? (Read 17 times)

Tweeeked

We're not that far into 2014, but our RA group isn't very active...at all. So how is everyone's training going thus far into 2014?

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
    • 10k: sub-36
    • Half: sub-76
    • Full: 2:45 in Boston

I guess I'll bite. I had bronchitis and had to take a full week off because I couldn't breathe. So that sucked. Training has been a wash so far. I have a half coming up at the end of March and I'm hoping to PR, so things will have to turn around soon. I've been back to roughly my normal mileage this week but I do not feel like my usual self at all, though I did some 200s and 400s at the track last night and somehow managed to hit my paces spot-on.

So far so good; I'll be registered for my 5th half marathon of 2014 by this time tomorrow -- one per month thru May!

Training up & base building in advance of the 2014 NYC Marathon

Also, if you have your running stats in Garmin Connect or Nike+, you should definitely be on Smashrun -- very cool data visualizations & motivational badges.

2015 Goals

A -- Stay healthy, raise Luke

B -- Run 1000 miles

C -- Sub-4 at NYC 2015

Tweeeked

I guess I'll bite. I had bronchitis and had to take a full week off because I couldn't breathe. So that sucked. Training has been a wash so far. I have a half coming up at the end of March and I'm hoping to PR, so things will have to turn around soon. I've been back to roughly my normal mileage this week but I do not feel like my usual self at all, though I did some 200s and 400s at the track last night and somehow managed to hit my paces spot-on.

Good luck with your half training! Hopefully your bronchitis didn't affect your training too much, and who knows, maybe it will have acted like a well-deserved break that leads to even stronger running! Edit: What is your goal time, if you don't mind me asking?

So far so good; I'll be registered for my 5th half marathon of 2014 by this time tomorrow -- one per month thru May!

Training up & base building in advance of the 2014 NYC Marathon

Also, if you have your running stats in Garmin Connect or Nike+, you should definitely be on Smashrun -- very cool data visualizations & motivational badges.

I like your A goal of defeating Sarah Palin's time! Good luck on your halfs!

As for me, the last 1/4 of 2013 was filled with dealing with ITBS. 2014 started fairly well, and I am now back into the swing of things with no more ITBS. I did lose some fitness, but I'm hoping to gain it all back quickly. Nailed some intervals today with negative splits that were much better than this time last year, but I need to cut back my recoveries a bit.

2016 Goals:

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

I've been battling to get my fitness back after being injured last year. Now I feel like I'm at a point that I can actually make some gains. I recently raced a flat 10k  in 42:20 = 48.6 VDOT.

My goals are to increase ~1 VDOT by my March 1st 10k (49.6 VDOT => 41:37) and another ~1 VDOT by May 5k (50.6 => 19:45) by doing Jack Daniel's 5-15k training plan. I'm currently in Phase I, just trying to push my mileage back up to 45-50 mpw.

I'll probably just move to base mileage for the summer, then look for a fall/winter half to break 90. This year is the year!

Thanks! That's what I'm hoping! I am starting to feel normal again so hopefully I am back on track. My goal time is 1:23:something, hoping to get down to sub-1:23 by the fall.

Good luck with your half training! Hopefully your bronchitis didn't affect your training too much, and who knows, maybe it will have acted like a well-deserved break that leads to even stronger running! Edit: What is your goal time, if you don't mind me asking?

Tweeeked

I've been battling to get my fitness back after being injured last year. Now I feel like I'm at a point that I can actually make some gains. I recently raced a flat 10k  in 42:20 = 48.6 VDOT.

My goals are to increase ~1 VDOT by my March 1st 10k (49.6 VDOT => 41:37) and another ~1 VDOT by May 5k (50.6 => 19:45) by doing Jack Daniel's 5-15k training plan. I'm currently in Phase I, just trying to push my mileage back up to 45-50 mpw.

I'll probably just move to base mileage for the summer, then look for a fall/winter half to break 90. This year is the year!

From what I've seen already, you are making some significant progress. As long as you stay injury-free, I don't see why those goals would be unreachable!

2016 Goals:

Tweeeked

Thanks! That's what I'm hoping! I am starting to feel normal again so hopefully I am back on track. My goal time is 1:23:something, hoping to get down to sub-1:23 by the fall.

Those would be stellar times! Shame about losing your streak, but you gotta do what you gotta do to stay healthy. Are you going to get a new one going?

2016 Goals:

Thank you! Yeah, I'll start a new streak. I basically run every day as my default, but I will take time off if I have to (for illness). My previous streak was right around the same length (~200 days). We'll see if I ever get a full year!

Those would be stellar times! Shame about losing your streak, but you gotta do what you gotta do to stay healthy. Are you going to get a new one going?

mapfe

I am out of my winter training rut! Was feeling pretty unmotivated, but I am feeling pretty good again.

I have a half marathon coming up in April and one in May. I think my goal race will be the May half marathon- not sure what my goal time is yet. I am thinking of using the Hanson's Half Marathon Plan for my May half but modifying the week where my April half will be.

This fall, I ran 1:39:49, and that was with much of the last month off/inconsistent due to some minor injuries. I can definitely beat that time by a bit, just not sure by how much yet.  For my yearlong goal, I feel like if all goes well, I could maybe hit sub-90 for the half or at least get close.

2014 Goals

Don't die

Tweeeked

I am out of my winter training rut! Was feeling pretty unmotivated, but I am feeling pretty good again.

I have a half marathon coming up in April and one in May. I think my goal race will be the May half marathon- not sure what my goal time is yet. I am thinking of using the Hanson's Half Marathon Plan for my May half but modifying the week where my April half will be.

This fall, I ran 1:39:49, and that was with much of the last month off/inconsistent due to some minor injuries. I can definitely beat that time by a bit, just not sure by how much yet.  For my yearlong goal, I feel like if all goes well, I could maybe hit sub-90 for the half or at least get close.

If you are going for sub-90, make sure to get some quality into your long runs. End the long run with some kilometres/miles at race pace; it'll be a good simulator of running race pace on tired legs, and it feels really good when you are successful. Good luck!

2016 Goals:

mapfe

If you are going for sub-90, make sure to get some quality into your long runs. End the long run with some kilometres/miles at race pace; it'll be a good simulator of running race pace on tired legs, and it feels really good when you are successful. Good luck!

I definitely plan on that. My training since I began running again after a few years off hasn't too intensive. Mostly easy runs and long runs. This year I plan on going back to training hard with more tempo runs, intervals, and varied long runs. One of my favorite type of runs is a long run with the second half being a progression run.

I feel like if I can get 1:39:49 on a peak of 40 mpw with no intense workouts, I can get way down adding real workouts and higher mileage.

2014 Goals

Don't die

Tweeeked

I'm pretty excited. I broke 50 miles this week (which I've only done once before) with 2 quality workouts and a long run, and I had no ITBS trouble. I think I can officially say it is gone! I'm going to take a step back next week, just in case, then jump back up and maintain 50mpw for a while. Hopefully that plus the quality workouts can get me close to my goals pretty quick!

2016 Goals:

mapfe

I'm pretty excited. I broke 50 miles this week (which I've only done once before) with 2 quality workouts and a long run, and I had no ITBS trouble. I think I can officially say it is gone! I'm going to take a step back next week, just in case, then jump back up and maintain 50mpw for a while. Hopefully that plus the quality workouts can get me close to my goals pretty quick!

Nice! I hope to get back into the 50s this year. High mileage feels so great!

2014 Goals

Don't die

All business

High mileage feels so great!

That's so true. When you feel your appetite ramp up, and you feel like a ball of kinetic energy.

My 2014 so far has been good. Coming off an injury, and trying to get some miles in this year. I haven't missed a day yet.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy