runnit

Training recap week of 9/10-9/16 (Read 71 times)

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

How's everyone's training going? 

I finished my half marathon at the beginning of the month in 1:45:35. I even came in first! (out of 16). Anyway, that felt great. I spent most of the past couple weeks recovering and building back up a little.

I'm starting marathon training for the Tucson Marathon. I have 12 weeks until then. I'm going with Pfitzinger's 12 week plan. I figured that I would have a decent base going into it from my half training and that the shortened schedule (his typical one is 18 weeks) shouldn't be an issue. We'll see if that proves to be correct. Here's the 12 week Training Plan if you are interested. 

Plugging my half time into McMillian, it spits out 3:42 (8:29 pace) for the marathon. This scares the shit out of me. My goal was sub 4, but maybe it should be sub 3:45. What do you guys think?

All business

Well congrats on the win and the PR!  Even if it was a small race, a win is a win. 

That training plan looks good, and similar to ones I've run in in the past.  Just by looking at your numbers, and if you run what you've planned, I wouldn't be surprised if you ran a 3:45 in Tucson.  Definitely sub 4.  If it's your first marathon, I'd aim to be conservative (you don't want that first one to be a DNF).  See how your long training runs go, and adjust from there. 

My training is going well, except for a little cold I'm still getting over.  Trying to get the miles back up, and hopefully I'll sign up for the Seattle Marathon soon.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Congrats on the PR, deds. You did great (as I suspected you would!). I think you should go for 3:40. You might surprise yourself.

My training is going pretty well. I had a couple of really solid workouts last week and ran a 20:21 5K on Saturday, which is a season PR for me and one step closer to sub-20. I am taking 6 weeks off from racing and making up an abbreviated 5k plan based on Hudson's training principles to carry me through to October 27. I have a race that day, advertised as flat with a "fast, downhill finish" so I think I'll have a good shot at 19Tight lippedx after this period of very race-specific training (lots of goal pace 800s and 1000s moving toward short recovery, 20 minute tempo runs, and hill sprints for power/muscle training).

mapfe

Congrats on the HM. I say go for that marathon time. It seems doable.

I've been getting my mileage up and had a 26 mile week. I am gonna stay around 25-28 for three weeks then up it to 30. Just miles right now. I'd like to do a 5k again soon.

2014 Goals

Don't die

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. It feels pretty good to know I've attained a higher level of fitness. 

jdmcgregor - Being sick sucks. Rest, lots of rest... naps and sleep. That's what I've found works best with me. Seattle Marathon is coming up soon! Have any goals in mind?

youngoffender - 20:21 5k, congrats! That is damned fast. I want to be that fast. I think I could maybe run 1 mile at that pace... The goal pace tempo runs really did a lot for me during my half marathon training. I think these would be beneficial for any distance really. I know you can do this. You've been running very consistently and these very specific workouts will put you over the edge. 

mapfe - that's what I started with at the beginning of the summer. All slow miles and just building a base while slowly building up miles. I think this was one of the most important things I did this summer. 

All business

Yes, resting and I like getting my vitamin C in there too.  Seattle should be fun.  I'd like to go sub-3 hours, but I don't think I've been focused enough on running this year to do it, and Seattle is pretty tough.  I'll probably shoot for <3:08:00 which was what I ran Seattle in a few years back.  We'll see how the long runs feel in October.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

<3, or even 3:08 is just so damn fast, I can't even imagine running that. Good luck!