runnit

Training recap week of 8/20-8/26 (Read 70 times)

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

I just finished week 9 of 10 for my half marathon training. It was a pretty decent week of running for me. I tapered down mileage wise from the 40's to the mid 30's -- and a long run from 12 to 10. This weeks long run I practiced eating and drinking, and it made a HUGE difference. My heart rate was lower and I was able to push the pace faster. It was a great confidence boosting run. 

I'm planning to take this week extra easy with some intervals on Tuesday followed up by a couple days of easy running and a couple of rest days before the half marathon. I'm still hoping to hit a goal pace of 8:20 min/mile. I think If I hydrate well and fuel well during the run, I can do it. 

How was everyone else's week?

Nice week, deds. Can't wait to see how the half goes. I think you'll hit your goal.

I had a rough week. I started out with a promising tempo on Monday, but had a strenuous lower body lifting session on Tuesday that left me pretty messed up for the rest of the week. I still don't know exactly what went wrong, but I wound up with horrible DOMS Tuesday night and Wednesday (despite the fact that I've been lifting consistently for months) and a weird pain in my left calf that then migrated to my left IT band and glute. I took Wednesday off and ran with a local group on Thursday. We did a killer hill workout and I felt okay but not 100%. Friday I could hardly run. I basically limped through 3 miles on the treadmill. Skipped my long run on Saturday as a result and did an easy 4 instead, which felt better than Friday. 7 yesterday at about 90% health but I am feeling extremely cautious now and am quite worried that I have an injury coming on. I have been foam rolling and icing like mad.

shelfoo

I had a light week leading up to my first trail race - a 16km race with about 450m of climbing.

40ish km total, including the race, trail training paid off, I don't have "official" times yet, but watch time was 1:42ish - my goal was 1:36-1:44 so I fell in that, feel pretty good about it. In retrospect, camping the night before, sitting around the campfire and bumming a couple of cigarettes was probably not the best idea, my lungs were burning a bit during the race, which doesn't normally happen.

The one really weird thing was the 6k recovery run I did last night - HR was <70%, effort felt minimal, but speed was way up from what it normally would be, especially the day after a race! Fluke maybe or a breakthrough in form, or something else? I don't know, all I know is a 6:00min/km pace is pretty fast for me, especially at <70% HR/effort! I guess I'll find out this week whether this is a breakthrough of some kind..

This weeks mileage should bump back up to about 65km, starting to put in some extra miles for the half mary at the end of September, shooting for a 1:55ish or less time on that.

mapfe

I had an easy week because I had some achilles tightness and tenderness and pain under my ankle. Pretty boring and uneventful, but the ankle pain seems to be gone. My achilles still seems a bit tight.

2014 Goals

Don't die