Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

October running and rambling. (Read 119 times)

Things seem a bit quiet this month- I have been a bit neglectful the first week, but put together a couple of decent runs in the last few days, today a trail run with my son.

Speaking of my son, he has been offered a bib by a friend of a friend and will run the Scotiabank Marathon this Sunday- with 6 days to prepare!

He has been doing a bit of running over the last few weeks, and also rowing on a machine at the gym he joined last week. He feels he is fit enough to run it as a fun/training run, as he is training for a spring trail ultra.

It must be nice to be twenty six and confident! I should point out he has run marathons before and up to a 100km ultra, so he can make a reasonable decision without my input.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

#artbydmcbride

It must be nice to be twenty-six period!!  Big grin

I have had an awesome weekend.  My running club gave me an award as Runner of the Year.  I got a cool trophy at a local 5k for coming in 2nd place in my age group.  And I had a fun marathon on Sunday.   If only the weather had been as cool as predicted I would have a had a faster race, but I am happy enough with the outcome.

Now to recover and hopefully PR at a 10 mile race on the 20th.

Runners run

It must be nice to be twenty six and confident! I should point out he has run marathons before and up to a 100km ultra, so he can make a reasonable decision without my input.

I have one of those, too!  My triathlete son (26) is running his first marathon- Philadelphia- the weekend before Thanksgiving.  He entered himself at 2:40.  We'll see.  He did his first 20 miler on Sunday at a 6:30 pace, which is the longest he has ever run. 

I struggled through what was supposed to be a "training" marathon on Saturday.  My daughter had a 20 minute PR with 4:45.  Her  main race is Marine Corps.  I made it in in 4:50 (boy, have I slowed down.....) but did manage to win the age group. (yay to being 60, although I would have won 50-59, too, as it turns out).   However, I got rubber legs or something in the finish stretch, went down on the asphalt and hit my head pretty solidly.  I popped up and finished, but really freaked out the course volunteers.  My Doc Son in Law was with us (ran the half) and pronounced me fine since I didn't black out and didn't have a headache.  He's 30 and doesn't seem to get particularly concerned about my pavement dives.  This was odd- I didn't trip.  I just sort of lost my balance and couldn't correct.   I've never had my legs be so stiff in a marathon.  I think it was the chill and dampness which I'm not used to yet.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

#artbydmcbride

{{Hstreet}}   be careful out there!

Runners run

Glad to hear the fall was not too serious- and man that son of yours is fast! Wow!

10k race 47:17, placed 12 of 160, 2nd in M40 plus.

#artbydmcbride

10 mile race; course was long and official time seems to be gun time only (?)  Garmin had me at a few seconds PR, but not the official time.  Oh Well.  2nd place AG.

Now to see if I can PR a half marathon in a few weeks.

Runners run

Yay, Ilene.  Take the PR!

I learned that at my age 2 weeks between marathons isn't enough.  I came close to DNS yesterday at Chattanooga 7 Bridges, but I had dragged us down to Chattanooga for the race.......  Anyway, my goal was to start, and if I could make myself start, then I needed to finish.   I started with some walking breaks at 12 miles (I never used to do that) and I did finish, but with my slowest time ever except for running with my daughter in her first marathon last May.  4:55.   Did get 3rd in the age group.   I don't care as much about the slow time as about how awful marathons are feeling these days.   I love my finisher's medal and the feeling of NOT quitting.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

#artbydmcbride

Yeah HStreet, we do still learn things even as oldsters!  Big grin   Hooray for not quitting!  That is awesome!

Runners run

Way to tough it out H Street!

Good luck with your half, Ilene.