Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

Monthly training thread? (Read 179 times)

I don't know how you guys feel about this, perhaps you are already doing something similar in the master's forum.

The idea is to check in regularly and compare training patterns and ideas.

We could report daily or just give a weekly summary, then start a new thread at the beginning of each month.

I manged to do a slow 10 miler last night in uncomfortably hot conditions, I have a double shift today at work so definitely a rest day.

Had a cramp in my left calf in the night, which probably means I didn't drink enough during/after the run. Always a few adjustments to make when the hot weather first arrives.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

old-runner

I don't know how you guys feel about this, perhaps you are already doing something similar in the master's forum.

The idea is to check in regularly and compare training patterns and ideas.

We could report daily or just give a weekly summary, then start a new thread at the beginning of each month.

I manged to do a slow 10 miler last night in uncomfortably hot conditions, I have a double shift today at work so definitely a rest day.

Had a cramp in my left calf in the night, which probably means I didn't drink enough during/after the run. Always a few adjustments to make when the hot weather first arrives.

Sounds good to me Simon... would you mind starting the new one each month or week (whichever suits everybody best)?

I had 8 miles scheduled yesterday but only made it through 7. About a mile from the park I saw a temperature sign that said it was 98 degrees. Not sure if that was correct but it was definitely hot out there. I was running with some other people so I was able to get 7 miles in... without them I would have probably quit at 4 or 5.

I just started using the training schedule on RA lately and was hoping to run 40 miles per week but after the first week at 40 I decided to drop down to around 34 or 35 and gradually build up. I had been at 30-35 per week and was feeling pretty good with it but 40 could be a bit much for me.

#artbydmcbride

It sounds good to me.  Whatever format you guys come up with.   I am trying to get a good mix each week; long run, hill run, track speed workout, and easy runs.    I have been racing once a week as well.  

I am struggling to get my right knee healed up, and I have a few physical therapy appointments towards that goal. Smile

Runners run

Ilene you are doing a lot of running for someone with a bad knee!

(Incidentally, I remember you well from CR, the first running website I found when I took up the hobby 5 years ago. )

I am sure it is much hotter down south, Richard, but its all relative to what you have been used to over the last couple of weeks. Up here in the cool blue North it has been mostly in the 70's until the last couple of days.

Some hot weather here in Tennessee, too.   I mainly run in the early morning before work, but sometimes add a short run after work.  I'm trying to run 40 or so miles a week.  Right now I'm doing 10 on Saturday and will up that later in the summer.  Tuesday before work I do about 7, which is as long as I can really do during the week without getting too exhausted.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

#artbydmcbride

I barely get out of the house and on my way to work fully dressed by 6 am.  So I do all of my running in the evenings during the week.  Smile

Most of my running is on the weekends.  

SimonR, were you SimonR on CR too, or did you you have a different name?

Runners run

old-runner

I went for a 5-mile run in 90+ degree weather this afternoon. It turned out to be a Theory of Relativity workout.

Wasn't sure I could make the whole 5 miles in the scorching heat but met up and ran with a pretty girl about 4 miles into the run. Ended up running 8.6 miles. 

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.”

Great explanation, Richard, I always thought it was more complicated than that!

Yes, Ilene, I used the same screen name, though I had to change by adding an extra letter when their servers crashed and no one could log back in. Used the same name at Kick as well. Mostly in the half marathon group at CR- that seems to be my best and favourite distance, I posted mostly on the Masters at Kick.

Very consistent running, Karen, you are a disciplined person.

A nice 10k this morning, not too hot and quite breezy.

Ran slowly for 3k to warm up then did a faster  km, relaxed for a km, then a few 100m strides, slow km, fast for 2km then slow the rest of the way.

My intention was to start getting used to various paces again, and to get used to running faster.

I am going to try another 5k in August, put on by the local running club, the Newmarket Huskies. This always attracts some good runners although there are also the usual hobby joggers like me in the middle, and people just supporting the event at the back, the mayor, the girl who drives the Zamboni at the rink, the guy from the beer store, a real estate agent and some ladies from the bingo hall.

I usually come about 45-50th out of 110-150 runners.

Last time I ran this event in 22:08 and we had 12 guys under 18 minutes, I think I was 7th out of 14 runners in M60 plus.

old-runner

Simon... That 22:08 is a good time for 60+. If the last time you ran it was 2009 it looks like you were still in the 40-59 age group (wow... 20-year age groups!). From the results online you walloped the first 60+ guy by about 2 minutes so if you're still running about like that you should do well...

http://rrresults.com/results.php?race=53

I'm finding that overall the 60+ age group is a lot easier most of the time as far as placing in the top 3 but of course, not only is everybody slower there are fewer of them! This past weekend I won the 60-64 age group but there were only 10 in the age group in a race with 600+ finishers!

#artbydmcbride

Yes, but it totally depends on the race and who shows up!   I won my division last month with a 2:02:33 half marathon, but in another one I ran I came in 3rd and the woman who won my division ran a 1:41:03!!!   Shocked

Runners run

We have been having some really hot weather, but this morning was a little cooler and breezy.  I got out the door at 5:30 and ran 8 miles, which is my longest before work run in ages.  At about 6 miles I was wondering what I was doing out there!   Good to have it done for the day. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Sorry about the age group confusion, Richard- yes I was 58 then, and I doubt I will get back to that sort of time.

Very true that with a smaller group it depends on who shows up.

Ilene that is a sensational time for a female athlete our age! I try to compete with the guys I know are close to my level, maybe a little better- and at local races I tend to know the names to look for, or even know the individuals fairly well in some cases.

Sometimes quite famous runners may show up- Ed Whitlock ran our little Carrotfast race (part of the Carrot Festival) last year and set a world record. Good luck to any 80 plus runners with him  in the field!

Karen, I am trying to build up my mileage and consistency, 40 a week seems a good target, but the first step will be 25-30.

old-runner

Sometimes quite famous runners may show up- Ed Whitlock ran our little Carrotfast race (part of the Carrot Festival) last year and set a world record. Good luck to any 80 plus runners with him  in the field!

Wow -- Ed Whitlock! I'm a big fan of his! Do you know anything about how he's doing? I think last fall sometime he fell down and broke a couple ribs or something like that and that's pretty much all I've heard. I think I read somewhere he was slowly trying to get back to running but I haven't seen anything other than that. 

Locally (Charlotte, NC) we've got a 79-year-old phenom (Charles Rose) who's not too far behind Ed Whitlock. He ran in the same 5k that I ran this past Saturday and finished in 23:11, which ain't bad for 79 years old. He's recently run about 30 seconds faster than that. I just looked at his results on Athlinks and in 88 races it lists since 1994 he's been #1 in his age group every time...

http://athlinks.com/racer/results/32710245

It's not quite as easy to find Ed Whitlock's results on Athlnks, probably because he runs mostly in Canada. I think Ed's probably a minute or two faster in a 5k and I don't think the Charlotte guy runs any marathons at all. I'd love to see both of them in a race together though!

Here's what I found for Ed (just New York races)...

http://athlinks.com/racer/results/34651709

There is a Canadian site called sportstats.ca which collects information on Canadian races.

We also have a ranking website for the province of Ontario which tells you where your best result at each distance ranks in your age group for that year. They keep the top 2,000 times for each age group at each distance, but for us older people there are sometimes only 700-800 times or fewer at the less popular distances- this is for a province of over 11 million residents.