Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

New award category (Read 198 times)

#artbydmcbride

Lots of races give significant awards to top 3 overall male and female, and top 3 Masters male and female (over 40)

and yes, generic pot metal medals to 5 or 10 year age group finishers.  Smile

But how do we campaign to get top 3 Senior Grandmaster awards to be given out?   Sure it would cost the race a bit more, but think of all the fast geezers they could attract, and how many oldsters they could encourage to train more?  Big grin   Maybe we should start petitions over that Facebook place.

They could do away with the 'Masters" division of 40+ anyway.  It is too arbitrary now, 40 year olds don't have any significant drop off of performance from 38 year olds.   Heck, some 40s win the overall race.

I would say start rewarding those 50 year olds too, but hey we're past that.  Cool

Runners run

old-runner

That would be great if anybody would go for it. Maybe it's something that will be done more and more as runners get older. I ran a half marathon this past Saturday and the person handing out the awards mentioned that they had more runners in the 65+ age group than they had in the 20-24 age group. 

I wish there was a standard for age groups that everybody went by, but I guess that will never happen. For the past couple years I've been involved in the Running Journal Grand Prix series and I like their age groups. It's 5-year age groups but they also include Masters (40-49), Grand Masters (50-59), Senior Grand Masters (60-69), and Veterans (70+). 

Henrun

I'm on the board of the New England 65+ Runners Club (over 600 members), We continue to promote recognition of older runners and have successfully worked with race directors to award the top 3 in older divisions. Many of the larger local races have even recognized 5 year groups up to the 90's.

#artbydmcbride

That's cool.  I hope they start doing more out west here too.  They do at the RRCA championship races.

Runners run

old-runner

A couple years ago I was talking to a local phenom who was then 87 (he's 89 now and still going strong) and he was telling me about a race he was going to run because they had an 85 and older division. I think a lot of younger people think that once you hit about 60 it's all the same and we have a lot of races in this area (North Carolina) that the oldest age group is "60 and Older." That doesn't bother me a lot, at least this year, because I'm 60. It'll bother the heck out of me when I'm 65, 70, 75, 80, or even older though.

#artbydmcbride

I know, right?   I ran a small local race and they put me in a 55 - 99 category!   Oh man, I complained!  Big grin

Runners run

A great idea!

The public perception seems to be that any interest in athletic pursuits (or even health!) after 60 is just a waste of time if not a delusion.

The small, local 5k I ran last weekend classed me as 60 plus, and the Ontario Masters Association recognizes "masters" from the age of 30, though possibly that helps them attract more members!

I do think more recognition of older athletes would attract more competitors, the few there are in my area are mostly very serious, very fast runners.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Henrun

Hey, Simon, I grew up in Toronto and visit there quite often and run when there (mostly along the Don Valley and along the waterfront).  Looking forward to running the Scotia half again one of these years.

I know, right?   I ran a small local race and they put me in a 55 - 99 category!   Oh man, I complained!  Big grin

It's a plague all over the country! My sister and I run a couple of local races and their categories are WAY too broad. 50-59? Please. I'm 59 competing against someone just turning 50? And anyone over the age of 60 gets lumped into one age group - 60+. I ran their 4 mile race on Memorial Day weekend at an 8:50 minute mile thinking that was pretty good but that didn't even get me in the top 5.  Next year I'll go into the 60 plus age group which really ticks my 70 year-old sister off. We'll be competing in the same age group. Totally unfair for her but there was a 78 year old woman who ran this race at a 7 minute plus mile pace. I agree that it would be really great to see older runners like this rewarded.

coastwalker

If there is a specific race where you want the age groups changed, look at the results from at least the last year or two. If there are enough finishers to warrant an additional age group, or going to 5-year age groups over 60, then send those numbers to the RD and make your case. Getting the timers to incorporate different age groups into the results is just a matter of a few keystrokes on their computer and won't cost the race any more money for timing expenses. And the prizes don't have to be expensive, since it is the recognition that is more the issue. If an RD gets only 3 (only 3!) additional racers, at $25 each, because of an added age group, and he/she gives out an additional $20-$25 in prizes, they are still $50 ahead. So what is the downside?

Good luck!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

No more marathons

I like the idea of masters, grand masters, and senior grand masters overall - and there are a few races were I've seen that, but not enough.

The Asheville track club has an annual race series (I think there's 20 races and they count your best 10) and they give recognition at various levels, not just age groups.  It's a good way to encourage frequent racing.

One local RD a few years back did an age graded race - allowed an old phart like me to get a second overall.  Smile

Hey Richard - you coming up this way for any races? Let me know which one's so I can avoid them. Smile

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Just checked the results of a local 5 miler at our Oskar Blues.

They had, in addition to top 3 male and female overall - top masters, and top grand masters as well as 5 year age groups up through 65-69.

But there were only 3 in that age group, and only 1 in the 70 and up.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!