Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

August training thread. (Read 162 times)

I am running a 5k on the 18th. so hoping for a cool day that day. My goal is 23:30 which is 68% and equivalent to 19:04 for a youngster.

This may be a bit optimistic given my recent lack of miles, we shall see.

I seem to have had trouble getting back into serious training after a half marathon I ran almost 3 years ago- I really put everything into it,   collapsed at the finish. I was really happy with my time, but I think I scared myself a bit and am reluctant to risk that level of effort again.

I suppose I see myself more as a health and fitness runner than a competitor now.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

old-runner

Good luck on your 5k Simon! Don't feel bad about just running for health and fitness... I think that's the overwhelming reason we all do it. If I can be healthy and fit, that's all that really matters.

And speaking of healthy, I'm off to a rocky start this month. Had a little bit of a setback last week trying to run too hard during a speed work session with my running club. We all seemed to go out too hard on some 600 meter intervals and on the first one I strained a hamstring. Not too bad but enough to slow me down for the past week. As I get older I'm more cautious about injuries since it's harder to recover when you're older so I cut my mileage and speed way back for now.

#artbydmcbride

I have intentions to not race so much in August and just build my mileage, especially the weekly long run. 

Runners run

Another muggy day, but managed 11kms, after running a hilly route yesterday, and a nice swim.

If cool enough I hope to do something longer tomorrow, but keep getting sidetracked by family and friends.

#artbydmcbride

I have intentions to not race so much in August and just build my mileage, especially the weekly long run. 

mta.  Okay, I have modified my plans somewhat....my running club's Grand Prix ends August 31 and I am currently in the lead.   I figured I have it sewn up and can focus on my Fall marathon  buildup.   BUT...no, some of my running colleagues are gunning for me and racing twice a week .....

Shocked  So it.is.on!   I should be okay as long as I race every weekend.  grrrrrrrrr

Runners run

Go Ilene!

I have not done much running so far this month but have been doing some walking with my wife and some cycling, so I hope that is a reasonable substitute. It is more important at this point to support my wife in her walking as she is trying to lose weight and control her type 2 diabetes than it is for me to train properly.

How are things going for you guys?

#artbydmcbride

You are a good husband, SimonR!   That is true gold!   Smile

Runners run

old-runner

That really is nice of you Simon! I'm not nearly so helpful to my wife... she kind of just does her own thing and I do mine. She turns 60 this week and is training for a half marathon in October. She's the slow and steady type and doesn't want me messing with her pace anyway... says she feels pressure to go faster if she tries to run with me. 

I'm running an indoor half marathon this Saturday at this place...

http://www.jdlfasttrack.com/index.php/component/content/article/9-uncategorised/78-photos

I think it'll be fun but I'm not quite sure what to expect with 125 people running a half marathon on a track... might be a big mess, but it'll give me something to talk about.

#artbydmcbride

Wow old-runner, honestly that looks awful  Big grin

Runners run

old-runner

Wow old-runner, honestly that looks awful  Big grin

I thought it looked like it would be fun but I'm probably in the minority on that. They had a limit of 125 runners and I don't think they've reached the limit yet so there's not a lot of excitement about it. They've got it set up somehow with a U-shape that will half the turns to the left and the other half to the right so that should help. At least I won't get a sunburn and there aren't any hills, so that's a plus.

The surface should be easy on your knees and ankles, and you could have water or aid stations every 200 meters!

Certainly an interesting idea, there is an charity indoor event  in Toronto in February with people going for up to 8 hours- that I cannot contemplate.

Ran a 5k tempo yesterday, misjudged my pace but finished around 25 minutes which is encouraging.

old-runner

Had fun at the Hot to Trot Indoor Half Marathon this past Saturday... I finished 2nd overall behind a 63-year-old! It was a small race. From what I heard, 34 people started the race but only 25 finished it. It was flat but we did 42 laps on a 500-meter course with 10 turns, for a total of 420 turns. Surprisingly I didn't really get sore from all the turning. It was a pretty fun experience but I might not be running anymore indoor half marathons anytime soon.

#artbydmcbride

Woohooo!  Second overall is incredible!  Smile

Runners run

Great result!

I also like the fact that over-60s dominated the podium!

Had stomach trouble on Saturday and was not able to run my 5k. Thinking about a half in October.