Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

Welcome! (Read 278 times)

old-runner

I set up this group specifically for those of us who are 60 or older to get to know other older runners on Running Ahead. I'm not sure how many people on RA are over 60 but I suspect there aren't all that many, so please join if you're one of us. Feel free to start new topics on anything of interest.

Technically, I have 3 more weeks till I qualify for membership.  But maybe you can make an exception this time.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hi guys!

I think this is a great idea as I think many of us find our performance declining about the age of 60, so our training needs change quite a bit.

In other words I think we as a group can benefit from sharing our experiences.

I am 61, by the way, and hoping to set some new marks for myself in my new decade.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

old-runner

Hi Bill... Thanks for joining! I was hoping I'm not the only person on RA who's 60 or older. Of course we'll make an exception since you're only 59.9. Truth be known, we could probably let anybody sneak in who's 55 or older but I wanted to see if there's interest  in a group for older runners like us. As you know, there's a huge difference between 40 years old and 60 years old. Heck, I've got kids in their 40s... maybe even some socks and underwear. So let's see what happens.

old-runner

Hi guys!

I think this is a great idea as I think many of us find our performance declining about the age of 60, so our training needs change quite a bit.

In other words I think we as a group can benefit from sharing our experiences.

I am 61, by the way, and hoping to set some new marks for myself in my new decade.

Hi Simon... Glad to have you! I guess one of the great things about hitting those older age groups is that you can claim some PRs for the new age group. I'm 60 now and just started running at 56. All (or at least most) of my all-time PRs were set last fall at the age of 59 so I guess I was getting faster until then. For some reason I'm not quite feeling it this spring now that I'm 60. I just seem to be a little slower... not much, but a few seconds per mile in most races. Makes me want to train harder and eat better, but I guess there comes a time that that's not enough.

Hi Bill... Thanks for joining! I was hoping I'm not the only person on RA who's 60 or older.

There's a fair number of runners on the RA Masters forum that are over 60.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them join up once they see the post.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

#artbydmcbride

Big grin  Here I am.     I do plan to defy the odds and keep improving, so this may be a place where it is safe to discuss that kind of stuff; like are these supplements considered performance enhancing?  How soon to race after a colonoscopy?   How are these 55 year old whipper snappers getting such fast finish times?   Is napping everyday a good idea?

Thanks old-runner!

Runners run

Henrun

Hi. I'm probably the oldest runner on RA-78 and have been running since just before my 40th birthday. I've been in the top quarter for most of my running career but have really slowed down in the last 2 years. Despite that I have no intention of quitting -either running or racing- as long as I'm able to.
                  my wife is also eligible but time challenged so she may or may not post. Sounds like it will be an interesting group
                  old-runner

Glad to see we've got 5 member the very first day!

Ileneforward... It would be great if you'd start a new topic on each of those things you brought up because individually they're all interesting, and it would give us something to build on. I took a peek at your running log... Wow... that's a bunch of half marathons, like almost one every week! I think I've run 6 or 7 this year and thought that was a bunch until now. 

henrun... Thanks for joining us! I'm sure you've got all kinds of wisdom you've gained over the years that you could share with us. Looking forward to hearing about your running and how you've modified your training (and maybe your expectations) over the years.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks old-runner too.

Big grin  Here I am.    

I do plan to defy the odds and keep improving.

Hey Ilene -
                      Are you the same ilene who does the Intrepid Race Schedule over on the regular masters forum for 40-years and up? I guess as long as you hide your real picture behind the cute little kitty avatar, no one’ll be able to question your chronological qualifications for this group.  If they do, I’ve got about nine extra years I really don’t need that you can have anytime you want.  Anyone else too..
                      Good luck on keeping on improving as a sr. masters.  I doubt very much if it has ever been done before to the extent of your marathon PR and consecutive half marathon PR’s already this year.  I’ll be worthy of the Guinness Book of World Records like a grand slam if your summertime 5K and 10K’s produce new lifetime PR’s too.  Good luck.
                      At the other end of the spectrum, however, having garnered so many red lanterns in triathlons (both swim leg and overall), ultras from 50K - 100K, and some of the smaller marathons lacking the large walker divisions I getting to like more-and-more, I can help you come to grips with any DFL’s you might ever encounter in the future, if any.  I've gotten to appreciate mine so much that I honor them as DGL’s (dead-glorious-last). It's a far cry from your PR’s but, for me, a DGL trumps a DNF/DNS any time.
                      Good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

#artbydmcbride

Big grin  Thank you so much for the accolades and the offer of extra years, tetsujin!   No one has carded me so I haven't had to prove that I am all of my 61 years.

I assume I will someday have to get some DNFs and I plan to celebrate them if need be, but I plan to try to make sure I am well trained before each event in order to minimize my chances.

I plan to get an automatic PR for sure at the mile race in August. 

Runners run

I have 3 months until I turn 60, but I'm glad to find this group!   So I'm NOT the oldest person on RA!

Looking forward to my new age group, actually!  This 59 year old stuff is tough!

I've been running since 1976 with some breaks for injury.  Had a good 2009 with 5 marathons, proceeded to get hurt and tanked in 2010.  Doing OK now but   s l o w e r......  

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

#artbydmcbride

Welcome HStreet!  Smile

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

hey old-runner, please make me an administrator of this group.  I want to add a picture to our homepage.  Smile

Runners run

old-runner

hey old-runner, please make me an administrator of this group.  I want to add a picture to our homepage.  Smile

Okay Ilene... you're an admin... thanks for the help!

Just think how popular this group is likely to become as everybody eventually ages up into it!