Swimmers

Flip turns (Read 769 times)

Beware, batbear...

My flip turns suck.  I basically don't even attempt them when I'm in the main portion of my swim.  Any advice?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

I learned these so long ago that it's instinctive, but let me type my way through one.

- use last stroke of lap to propel yourself into somersault.  Beginning of somersault should have both arms at your side.

- tuck your chin, and get tight.  Not completely fetal-tight, but tight enough where you're not simply performing a 90-degree change of direction along the Y axis Smile

- Don't try to get back to your stomach until you push off the wall.  You want to flip onto your back and push off the wall pretty much that way.

- Now that you're pushing off the wall, gently roll from back to stomach.  Once you get better you can worry about the underwater kicking part and the break-out stroke (first stroke of length, and a key to not wasting momentum from push-off).

This pic on Google isn't half bad, but it's not scaled very well (meaning the swimmer seems a bit far to be entering the turn, and too far from the wall during the turn, etc)

http://www.winderickx.com/gillis/photos/swimming/tumble_turn_crawl.jpg

Man this is hard to describe.

Great way to practice is in the shallow end of the pool.  From a standing position 3 yards or so away from the wall, jump into a flip turn.  Practice, practice, practice. 

under a rock

Thanks for that description. I've been working on my flip turns but I'm pretty slow. The thing I find the hardest is timing the last breath before my flip. I either do it too late or too early end up gasping for air when I reach the surface. Any suggestions?

This is so hard to describe because flip turns become second nature.

Let's see.  I am a predominantly right-sided breather, so typically what happens I'll take a stroke with the left arm and breathe to the right.  Then I take my final stroke of the length with my right arm - it follows through over water as I breathe.  When the right arm enters the water I usually do a slight dolphin (butterfly) kick to propel into the somersault.  Pretty much as the right arm starts its scull underwater, I tuck my chin and flip***.

So it's on the last "breatheable" stroke that I breathe.  The better you get at the flip turn part, getting into the tuck and getting your body over, the less you think about breathing. 

I remember when learning these that the jumping off the bottom of the pool "drill" of sorts really teaches you to get through a flip turn quickly.  Also, it lessens your worries about breathing, because you're only working on the turn and not necessarily worrying about the swimming into and pushing off parts - those come after you get the sensation of flipping through and getting your feet placed on the wall.

***I'm trying to remember what my age group coach used to say about this but it's been... 28 years.  LOL.  I can envision him on deck teaching us.  I seem to remember him teaching us to kind of follow that last stroke with our eyes.  In the example above, I'd briefly watch my right hand as it sculled underwater, forcing me to tuck my chin and roll into the flip turn.

Beware, batbear...

When I start to tuck, my arms fly out and I feel like I can't get a full somersault going.  Maybe that's where the slight dolphin kick comes in.

I never learned these as a kid.  I'm a good swimmer, but TERRIBLE at flip turns.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

I don't think I'm going to be able to get to the pool until at least Friday - I'm having a kidney stone lasered out today (my groin pain issue should be solved finally, huzzah!) and will probably need to rest a bit.  When I do get back I'll try to concentrate a bit on the mechanics and let you know what my arms do.

One thing I'm thinking about - if you're just standing or sitting, hold your hands out with your elbows bent, and your palms up as if you're going to communion (hands apart though) or holding a food tray.  I think your hands get to that position in the middle of the turn as they go from your side to the streamlined position as you push off.

The second picture of the swimmer in the pic I linked kinda shows that.  But it doesn't show how to get from pic 1 to pic 2.  There should be a couple more in between, because that's the trickiest part.  How to get from facing one direction to the other is rather important after all!

Ooh, try these.  Here are more pics.

Turn Pic 1

Turn Pic 2

Turn Pic 3

The second pic is what I'm trying to describe in the second paragraph above. 

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR0C-P5Bghc

Check this out.  Practice - then commit to doing flip turns every time.  It will take several sessions, but it will become second nature and it will make you a better swimmer.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

under a rock

I felt like I did much better flip turns today  using some of the advice given. I couldn't remember it all so I'll refresh my memory again before my next swim.

Thanks for the video, very helpful as well!

under a rock

I wanted to thank you guys again for all the tips. My flip turns are getting easier. They are feeling so much smoother and I'm not struggling for air by the end of the flip. I no longer feel like they are slowing me down like before. Thanks!
                    T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Right on!  Keep after it!!

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

gebuh

am I the only one who gets sick doing flip turns?  I don't do them because of the dizziness and disorientation I feel immediately afterwards.
                        Slo

I really need to get back to doing flip turns.....I've gotten lazy and got away from them.

Can't say I've gotten sick gebuh.....but I have left with my sinus cavities filled with pool water and a nasty headache for the rest of the day.

Slo

am I the only one who gets sick doing flip turns?  I don't do them because of the dizziness and disorientation I feel immediately afterwards.

I just stumbled across this.....Maybe this will help.

Flip turns make me sick

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

but I have left with my sinus cavities filled with pool water and a nasty headache for the rest of the day.

Are you blowing out of your nose while flipping?

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
                              My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
                              Ride 112 miles.
                              Run 26.2 miles.
                              Then brag for the rest of your life.
                              -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Slo

Tri_kev

I'm not a stranger to flip turns. I'm just sayin....once in a while....timing just isn't on your side.

For the record......I'm back to doing them as standard practice.