Swimmers

50 miles down, 50 to go (Read 321 times)

I just completed my 50th mile in 2011.

Less then a year and a half ago, I could barely swim a length of the 25 yd pool without stopping and holding onto the side of the pool.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

AWESOME!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
      My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
      Ride 112 miles.
      Run 26.2 miles.
      Then brag for the rest of your life.
      -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

protoplasm72

Congrats.  I'm not even close to 50% on my goal for the year and we are well past the half way mark in the year.  Blush

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I just swam past the century mark today with a total of 100.4 miles for 2011.

Totals by year:

1968 - 2009 = 0 miles

2010 = 61.5

2011 = 100.4 and counting

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

vegefrog

Way to go! That's like swimming from Key West to Cuba Smile

I just swam past the century mark today with a total of 100.4 miles for 2011.

Totals by year:

1968 - 2009 = 0 miles

2010 = 61.5

2011 = 100.4 and counting

I just past the Century mark today!

For me, 100.3miles!!! Woo Hoo!!! 

I saw your post a couple weeks ago, and decided to swim a bunch to get my 100 miles before I head off to vacation in a couple days.

Congratulations to you on your 100+ miles in 2011.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I just past the Century mark today!

For me, 100.3miles!!! Woo Hoo!!! 

I saw your post a couple weeks ago, and decided to swim a bunch to get my 100 miles before I head off to vacation in a couple days.

Congratulations to you on your 100+ miles in 2011.

10,000 yds in a week, my shoulders ache just typing that.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

10,000 yds in a week, my shoulders ache just typing that.

Yes, this last week was my 2nd longest week this year, but in 2000 yard segments, it worked out ok.  

The longest week was when I was recovering from a minor hip injury in February.  

Regardless, I also got the 100 this year.  What's the goal for next year? 125?  Ready, Set, ....

Life Goals:

Yes, this last week was my 2nd longest week this year, but in 2000 yard segments, it worked out ok.  

The longest week was when I was recovering from a minor hip injury in February.  

Regardless, I also got the 100 this year.  What's the goal for next year? 125?  Ready, Set, ....

Goal for 2012 is 2.5 miles a week or 130 miles for the year.

I finished out 2011 with 107 miles and change.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Goal for 2012 is 2.5 miles a week or 130 miles for the year.

I finished out 2011 with 107 miles and change.

Ready, Set, Go!

I'm in for 130 miles.

I look forward to the challenge.  I was thinking 10 miles per month (120), but 2.5 miles per week (130) will work too.

(BTW, 2+ weeks off of swimming sucks!)

Life Goals:

Ready, Set, Go!

I'm in for 130 miles.

I look forward to the challenge.  I was thinking 10 miles per month (120), but 2.5 miles per week (130) will work too.

(BTW, 2+ weeks off of swimming sucks!)

I will cross the 175 milestone for 2012 on Friday and will probably finish around the 190 mark. I NEVER thought I'd be willing and able to swim that much in a year so I'm a bit amazed that I actually put in the time to complete them. Its funny though, I still do not care much for swimming and if it wasn't for triathlon I'd hang up the trunks for good.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I will cross the 175 milestone for 2012 on Friday and will probably finish around the 190 mark. I NEVER thought I'd be willing and able to swim that much in a year so I'm a bit amazed that I actually put in the time to complete them. Its funny though, I still do not care much for swimming and if it wasn't for triathlon I'd hang up the trunks for good.

I won't get the 120 / 130 that I said I'd do.

I think I'll get 100 again though.

Congratulations.  Next year, we need to set more realistic goals Smile

190 miles is a long way to swim.  That's a long way to swim in a given year!  Wow!

And, FWIW, last December, I saw your 100 mile 'horray' post, and that gave me incentive to get the 100 miles swimming for myself.  But, I have no incentive to get to 190 miles this year!   That would require about 4,250 yards per day for the next 45 days.  Smile

Life Goals:

I won't get the 120 / 130 that I said I'd do.

I think I'll get 100 again though.

Congratulations.  Next year, we need to set more realistic goals Smile

190 miles is a long way to swim.  That's a long way to swim in a given year!  Wow!

And, FWIW, last December, I saw your 100 mile 'horray' post, and that gave me incentive to get the 100 miles swimming for myself.  But, I have no incentive to get to 190 miles this year!   That would require about 4,250 yards per day for the next 45 days.  Smile

I scaled back my swimming in December and crossed the 180 mile mark for the year. I am battling some tendonitis in both forearms right now so thats the reason for the cut back in yardage. I'm hoping to keep some of my speed (haha thats all relative) and some cardio and some feel for the water by swimming easy a couple times a week.

My goal for 2013 swimming is 264,000 yards (150 miles). I'll be easing into it during the first couple months of the new year and hopefully recover from the tendonitis. I'll crank up my running for those couple months then start building up bike mileage. I was pleased with my swim results last season and finished with a 3rd, 5th and 4th in AG for the swim. The swim was no longer my limiter and thats what I was trying to get better at last year. This year it will be the run.

Whats your goal going to be for 2013?

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Congrats!! Wow, these are some hardcore swimming distances! I hope the tendonitis eases soon, Burnt Toast. 190...I'm not sure I can imagine that. Just curious, do you count kick sets in your mileage? But if you're able to run, go get that!  KCD, 100 is awesome.

Since I have recurring foot issues, it seems I'll be doing more swimming (and pool running) this year, and making these types of goals may help increase my excitement for swimming as much as I feel for running. I have been swimming since I was a child and really made some vast improvements in technique with the help of my masters team about 3 years ago, and I continue to reap those benefits on my own. We've had English Channel challenges before at my Y so maybe I could do some of those for inspiration. Thanks for the great ideas here, all! I'll check back in with more concrete goals. I think 100 is doable. We shall see.

I ended 2012 with 99.9 miles... Oh well Smile.

I spent the last couple weeks in Florida, and I was planning on a swim on New Year's Eve, but the 55* temps were enough for me to say 'who cares?'.

2013 will be somewhere around 100 miles again.  I driving back to Texas now.  Should be swimming again soon.

Cheers, Brian

Life Goals: