Swimmers

Summer swimming (Read 89 times)

vegefrog

How's it going? Is everyone outdoors?

I'm trying to fit in 3 miles a week, but so far have only managed 2 a week. I'm swimming them straight right now, in order to try and get some endurance back in the water. My swim/run race is July 28 and it's only 750 yds. I will probably start doing some speed sets in July, but for now I'm just cruising.

It's nice to be in the water, that's for sure! Hope everyone is doing well.

It's been a long time since anybody has posted within this forum...

But this week I discovered that you should NEVER EVER TAKE 3 MONTHS OFF OF SWIMMING!

(I haven't swam since May, and I didn't have anything to offer within this thread)

So, how was your July 28 swim / run race?

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

vegefrog

It was great. So great, in fact, that I have decided after my Marathon in Feb...I am switching gears and Triathlon training Smile

A friend of a friend just opened a bike shop here, so I'm gonna head that way and get myself hooked up in December. For now I'm going to add a few bike miles to my weeks. It can't hurt to get some miles in, even if they are on my Wal-Mart Schwinn with mountain bike tires, right??? Smile

There is a sprint series here that starts in May, with 5 races total, the last one being in August. I'm going to do that series and an Olympic distance Tri in Sept. At least that's the plan. It's all pretty far off so things could change, but it just feels so GREAT to be in the water again, and I have the running under control...so I thought why not just add the bike and see where I can go with it.

I'm sure I'll have tons of newbie triathlete questions for you!! Smile

It was great. So great, in fact, that I have decided after my Marathon in Feb...I am switching gears and Triathlon training Smile

A friend of a friend just opened a bike shop here, so I'm gonna head that way and get myself hooked up in December. For now I'm going to add a few bike miles to my weeks. It can't hurt to get some miles in, even if they are on my Wal-Mart Schwinn with mountain bike tires, right??? Smile

There is a sprint series here that starts in May, with 5 races total, the last one being in August. I'm going to do that series and an Olympic distance Tri in Sept. At least that's the plan. It's all pretty far off so things could change, but it just feels so GREAT to be in the water again, and I have the running under control...so I thought why not just add the bike and see where I can go with it.

I'm sure I'll have tons of newbie triathlete questions for you!! Smile

Was it hard to transition from swim to run?  Was it awkward to get your running legs after the 750yard swim?  I found (find) that to be the hardest part of multisport races.

I found that balancing training between 3 sports makes me better at all 3 without having to put in the high effort in any of the 3.

You'll love it!

Yes, miles on your WalMart bike will be fine.  I did my first triathlon on a former urban police mountain bike that I bought used on Craigslist, but it didn't take long for me to realize that I'd be better off on a road bike.

I'm starting to get the itch to start training for my next race.  Over the next couple weeks, I'll make the decision whether to sign up for a race in May, 2013.

Enjoy!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

vegefrog

Oh YEAH! My legs felt like jello for the first half mile. My 5K time was a 27, a full 4 minutes slower then my PR. Now it was on the beach so I'll admit it was harder then running on pavement, but it definitely took me a good while to get into a running groove. I didn't think the swim would take that much out of me, but the waves were pretty hardcore and the current wasn't exactly helping us. ALSO...my T-time sucked! I got second overall female, and I lost by about a minute...her T-time was 40 seconds and mine was 1:50!!! I didn't think it was that important...but obviously I need to work on that.

swim-bike-run....

I'm not gonna get a tri-suit yet. I think I'll just wear a swim suit then throw on short running tights for the bike/run...that shouldn't take too long. I won't have clip pedals for at least a year or 2...I'm gonna have to win a few races to justify those. So I'll just wear my running shoes for the bike/run...I think my longest transition will be swim-bike...bike-run shouldn't be any time at all. You just drop off the bike right?