Swimmers

First Open Water Swm (Read 143 times)

Bugs

I was with a group, we had a kayak for anyone in trouble. Water temp was 65F and we were to swim across the pond, about 200 yards. I went in, stuck face in water right away intent on swimming just like I have in the pool. I got half way and just felt like I could not do it. My heartrate was high from being nervous, and the cold water, and the stupid wetsuit felt awfully tight around the neck and I think it chokes me a bit. I just completely panic'd. It was awful. I hung onto the kayak for a few minutes and then finished the swim.  Then I swam back, and did not put my head in the water as much, and was able to get back SLOWLY. (Kind of frustrating, because I only swim front crawl and damn looks like I would be better off with a good side or breast stroke. )

Took a little break, and then swam across again. Really struggled swimming straight. The more I tilt my head up the more the wetsuit choked me. Where the water was more shallow it was warmer, and then I could front crawl, slow a nice relaxed slow swim but it felt good.

This triathlon, my first open water TRI, is in a month. The swim is 400 yards, and thus no break half way. Hopefully the water will be warmer. There will be group swims every Saturday, and  I will do them all. I was told to try and pull the wetsuit up higher, get the neck up higher. I hope this helps with me feeling like I was out of breath.

We have a boat, would it help to swim in a lake with my husband manning the boat? Just the memory of that little panic attack is starting to freak me out. How much would you practice in the next four weeks?

holly molly is this harder than I expected. How do people just jump in these events without training or practice? I understand now why kids have died trying to swm across this pond.

Bugs

protoplasm72

Yeah, more practice is all you need.  Try some body glide around the neck of your wetsuit.  It might help with the choking feeling.  65 degrees is actually not that cold so you should be able to get used to it with more practice.  Make sure you float around in the shallow and get your face wet and flood your wetsuit before you start swimming.

For a 400y swim I wouldn't even use a wetsuit in 65 degree water.  It's so short that unless you need it to feel comfortable it will actually cost you more time removing it then you save.  If you can, try practicing in the lake without the wetsuit and see how that goes.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Bugs

I had the temp wrong last week, that was taken near shore, so temps must have been colder?  

Swam again, much warmer this time. Much better swim. I got half way across the pond and wanted to freak-out. There was a few times I started thinking I couldn't do this, wanted to grab onto the rescue boat. I just started counting in my head, anything to get my mind to focus on anything else. It seems when you're scared in the water the best thing is to put head in water and blow out, and stay mentally positive. People had told me to get on my back or side, but for panic, head down, easy breathing worked better.

Body glide around the neck, and really pulling wetsuit off helped. I'm not sure about wearing in that day or not. Most people are, just for the extra floatation factor, it did come off easy (it doesn't have arms)

Bugs

under a rock

Glad to hear you latest OWS went better! I'm sure the warmer water temps helped.

I did my first OWS yesterday, 800 meters. I was really nervous because I had heard other accounts of people's first OWS and it didn't set my mind at ease. Luckily the lake was warm, very warm. So there was no chill to deal with. My main concerns were staying on course and not colliding with the other swimmers. I have to say I actually had a good time. It took me to the turn around buoy to get in a rhythm. I had some goggle issues that I had to flip on my back for a few times. I occaisionally veered a little off course but not as much as my friend did. She has more swim experience and fitness but due to her left drift it kept her from getting too far ahead of me most of the swim. Having her near by gave me extra confidence. I'm actually looking forward to my next swim and excited about signing up for an aquathlon in the fall.

Carl A

The local pools are still closed, so today I jumped in the river.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

old Paratrooper

Sounds like the swiming is improving nicely, OW is a different animal.  I swim a traditional front crawl with a look ahead at bouys to see where I am about every 4th breath, works well for me.  Body glide at the neck will help but a 400 m swim in 65 water I agree, no wetsuit.  If you are doing a wetsuit swim spray yourself down with pam before putting it on, it'll go both on and off much faster

Carl A

Got in about a half hour in Florida a week ago the day after a wedding. Pretty effortless to be out in the warm, calm sea.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.