Swimmers

Feet Cramping (Read 269 times)

Bugs

Twice after swimming I had a foot cramp and they've been more sore this week. It is rare I'd get sore feet from this low of mileage, but that may be the cause especially since I've been on treadmill lots. But I suspect the swimming is playing a factor and that I am probably a tense swimmer, even in my feet. I'm going to have to limit my time in the water till I know for sure. Perhaps I am flexing my foot incorrectly, or you guys have advice on this? Do you think swimming could be a factor?

Bugs

aellopous

I hear that runners tend to kick wrong. You shouldn't flex your feet at all. They should be pointed hard at the wall at all times. Your feet should stay pretty much still as you swim; all the kicking should be from the larger joints, particularly the hips. Don't force your ankles to be rigid, obviously, but your feet shouldn't be doing the kicking.

If  you find yourself being particularly tense, do some active stretches on the pool deck, like windmills with your arms, or breaststroke kick (one leg at a time, obviously).

protoplasm72

Are these cramps happening in the water or after you are done?  I've never had cramping after I got out of the water.  I used to frequently get cramps from pushing off to hard against the wall but those have mostly gone away as I started swimming more.  I also do a number of foot/ankle strengthening exercises, for a running related foot injury, which I think have helped reduce the cramping while swimming.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Bugs

The cramps have happened both in and out of the water, all towads the end of the workout. At first I just thought perhaps a little dehydrated, been watching that since, add a couple of bananas to my diet. But I'm fairly certain this is about me being tense in the water. I think I was trying so hard to keep my leg straight (not have a runner's kick) and point the toe that I flexed my arch in trying to point my toe instead of bending more from the ankle.

Today I got in the water and did a warm-up lap of the back stroke. Making sure I was relaxed before I started swimming. I focused more at bending at the ankle. I don't think my foot was as straight, but it felt more relaxed, and no foot soreness. I'll have to work on ankle flexability I guess.

I've been rolling my foot on a rod..basically big heavy pipe. Think the craps produced knots, and needed to be worked out.

Bugs

Elly.

Hi Bugs,

I think the cramps may have to do with how cold the water is.  Do you have naturally cold feet? I love snorkeling, but dipping in that cold sea can bring on the cramps really fast. 

I've done the water and bananas routine as well, but that's not it.  I have noticed that I cramp a lot more if swimming is my second sport of the day, so there might be a tiredness factor in there. I've also noticed that flippers tend to bring on the toe/foot cramps.  When that happens, I switch to paddles and pull buoy to give my feet a rest.  The cramps ease off.  I also flex my feet on the side of the pool. 

I'm kind of hard nosed about finishing as much of my workout as possible, because it's such a hassle to get cleaned up afterward.  I figure I'm going to make that swim worth my while!  I think the cramps will eventually ease up as you learn to relax in the water. 

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

Bugs

Elly,

The water is really warm here. Could be a tiredness factor. I had to back off a bit, and have not had any problems since.

Bugs

"I'm Brian, and I have foot cramping while swimming and I need help."

(I feel like that was an AA introduction from this "Aqua Advice" forum...)

In all seriousness, though, I struggle while swimming longer than 40 minutes straight.

I'm training for a full Ironman, and plan to do the swim portion in about 70 - 75 minutes, but I'm most afraid of having a foot cramp before I exit the water.  I'm confident in my stroke, and feel relatively efficient (1:40's / 100 yard)

Background:

- I swim in a 25 yard pool

- I do not do flip turns

- I do about 15 - 17 strokes per length

- I swim about 3x / week (between about 1500 yards and 3000 yards / session).

Whenever I get above 2000 yards though (when swimming straight through, no rest), the bottom of my foot cramps up making it painful to continue swimming.

(FWIW, I don't have pain while running or biking or walking around, even after a few minutes after my swim, the pain is gone).

Any help / advice.

Sounds similar to the challenges Bugs had a couple years ago.

Cheers,
                Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

protoplasm72

The answer is probably to swim more Big grin  Do you get cramps when swimming in open water?  For me it was always pushing off the way that triggered them.  I don't know if there is any truth to this but a swimmer friend once told me to increase my calcium to prevent cramps.  Might be worth a try.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

The answer is probably to swim more Big grin  Do you get cramps when swimming in open water?  For me it was always pushing off the way that triggered them.  I don't know if there is any truth to this but a swimmer friend once told me to increase my calcium to prevent cramps.  Might be worth a try.

I think it has to do with the pool as opposed to open water, but I don't swim in open water often.

That is why I made special mention of the 25 yard pool and the fact that I don't do a flip turn, which would be 80 push offs per 2000 yards, and 160 (over the course of 4000 yards).

On Tuesday, I tried to control the intensity of my push off, in an attempt to do 3500 to 4000 yards.  But, at 3000 yards, I cramped up (120th push off).

Interested in the calcium mention.  I'll research (and continue to wait for more AA feedback from y'all).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I've had cramping in my arches before and I sure it had something to do with pushing off the wall. As I've tried to biuld up my yardage, its got better and I haven't had an issue for quite awhile now so I think swim more while easing up on the push off the wall is the key.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life