Swimmers

Looooong swims (Read 149 times)

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

So I've been training for the St. Croix 5 mile swim this October,  while I have been able to get in some long open water swims on a few weekends, it is getting to the point with work and family obligations that I will do the rest of the training staring at the dreaded "black line". 

I've been fairly successful at keeping the boredom at bay. 

For instance this morning's swim was: a 200 yd warm up, 200 breast followed by 5 sets of: 500 swim, 300 pull, 200 pull 100 pull 200 breast (all with 30 sec rest), then a 400 yd cool down for a total of 7500 yards.  Not too mind numbing as I also alternated the 500 swims with using paddles and not using paddles, any thing to mix it up.

So anyone have any other suggestions for long workouts?

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
    My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
    Ride 112 miles.
    Run 26.2 miles.
    Then brag for the rest of your life.
    -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

A 5 mile swim??????

I have nothing for you.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Not even sympathyBig grin

Swim 2.4 miles.
        Ride 112 miles.
        Run 26.2 miles.

vegefrog

Not even sympathyBig grin

I'll give you that!!! Hey, you are gonna be in St. Croix, so it can't be THAT bad!  Swimming over the tops of sea turtles and rays and neat-o fishies Smile

5 miles...holy crap. That's a lot of swimming.

No advice, but it sounds painful.

But, as an Ironman, you know that things that once seemed impossible, are very possible.

Regarding the boredom, I got nothing for you.  Just like Ironman training, you just need to do it.

7500 yards sounds very long!

Enjoy!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Yes, St. Croix will be a really nice swim. Also the good news is that 4K swims now seem pretty short Wink Thanks for the nice sentiments too!

Swim 2.4 miles.
              Ride 112 miles.
              Run 26.2 miles.

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

for today's swim I set a new time and distance record: it took me 2:29:45 to swim 8,500 yards, which is 340 lengths or 170 laps ... oh what the heck its 4.8 MILES of staring at the blue line (yeah our pool' line is blue, not black and I can probably tel you how many mosaic tiles make up a line, but do you really want to know) oh God help me, my brain is fried and numb Joking 

Swim 2.4 miles.
                Ride 112 miles.
                Run 26.2 miles.

How are you sure it was 170 laps and not 169 or 170? Doesn't that drive you a little crazy too? I hate it when I'm swimming, and I know it's around this or that number, but not certain. It's important to keep my RA log accurate or else I'll be crucified by my peers Smile. Great job! Enjoy staring at the blue tiles. ..... .....This is how my swimming occasionally goes.....are the 2 inch by 2 inch tiles? Therefore, 25 yards equals 75 feet = 900 inches, therefore there could be 450 tiles per length minus the 1.5 yards at each end, which would be 36 from 450 = 414 tiles per length {flip turn}. Let's recalculate to be sure my math has rationale... Damn, what lap am I on now?

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Hahahaha, I sued to do sets of 500s and move my water bottle around to keep track of how many sets Iv'e done, but no more!  My Garmin 910xt does a pretty good job, it misses a length every once-in-a-while so I can pretty much rely on what it says is accurate unless I come up with an odd number, then I have to remember to correct it when I download the info. 

Anyway I only have one more real long swim coming up this Wednesday and then I can enjoy the taper Smile

Swim 2.4 miles.
                    Ride 112 miles.
                    Run 26.2 miles.