Swimmers

Swim races (Read 165 times)

protoplasm72

Anyone do swimming only races?  I've done a 2 mile ows a few times that is basically just triathletes.  Now I just signed up for a 5k ows (Big Shoulders) that is geared more towards actual swimmers.  Looking at past years results is discouraging.  They are really fast.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Anyone do swimming only races?  I've done a 2 mile ows a few times that is basically just triathletes.  Now I just signed up for a 5k ows (Big Shoulders) that is geared more towards actual swimmers.  Looking at past years results is discouraging.  They are really fast.

I would never consider such foolishness. If I was a good swimmer, instead of a good paper weight, I would consider it.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

I joined the US Masters program with intentions of getting involved in meets. My shoulder can't handle the work load of competitive swim training.
        protoplasm72

Did 5800m last night.  I'm not going down without a fight.  My goal is to be in the top 50% of the swim and the top 50% of the Half Marathon I'm running the next day 

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

One of the girls on my Masters team does Big Shoulders.  She is super fast. 

But you'll enjoy it either way...good practice and a nice change of pace.

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
            protoplasm72

I've never been so worried about the weather before a race.  Lake Michigan can vary 15-20 degrees depending on the direction of the wind.  Right now it's 63 degrees and I'm signed up to swim without a wetsuit on saturday.  Last week it was 75 degrees.  By saturday it could be back to 75 or in the 50's.  

I've never been so worried about the weather before a race.  Lake Michigan can vary 15-20 degrees depending on the direction of the wind.  Right now it's 63 degrees and I'm signed up to swim without a wetsuit on saturday.  Last week it was 75 degrees.  By saturday it could be back to 75 or in the 50's.  

Fingers crossed for you that it's back to 75!

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                protoplasm72

I survived but I wimped out and switched to the wetsuit division.  It was 62 degrees and 2 foot waves in a small storm.  I've never swam in anything close to that without a wetsuit (but I've done 58 with one).  I don't have any natural insulation and doubt I would of finished.  My time was 1:26:11 and I was well within the top 50% in the wetsuit and overall divisions.  I'll have to do this race again without a wetsuit though.

I ran a 1:39:16 HM this morning so I'm happy with both races.

protoplasm72

I found this video from the race.  

Oh my that water looks cold and the storm looks awful.  I'm not sure I could have done that at all, even in a wet suit.  Great job!.  Hopefully next year the weather will be better.  Congrats on the HM too.