Swimmers

Swimming Goals (Read 251 times)

protoplasm72

Anyone have any specific goals they are working towards?  A new distance? A new stroke?  Time goals?

I am hoping to break 20 minutes for a 1500m swim by summer.  Right now I'm at 22:46 and was at 24:07 in August.  My training was a little shaky through September but since then I've been really consistent and focused and my times are starting to drop.  I went through a few months where I wasn't pushing the pace on my intervals or I was just doing long easy swims and my times stalled.  Now I'm pushing hard and the pain is paying off.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

TMorin

My goal is to do the swim part of Timberman 70.3 in 36:00.

I started swimming last summer with pretty much zero experiance. Once I figured out how to breath under water I just increased my swims to about a mile. On 7/26 I did 0.9 miles in 38:02 and had that lowered to 0.9 miles in 32:42 a few month later.

I've never done any type of swim drill and after reading around thats what it looks like I need to do. I bought the total immersion freestyle dvd and am waiting for it now.

Also, a wetsuit will help some too.

protoplasm72

My goal is to do the swim part of Timberman 70.3 in 36:00.

I started swimming last summer with pretty much zero experiance. Once I figured out how to breath under water I just increased my swims to about a mile. On 7/26 I did 0.9 miles in 38:02 and had that lowered to 0.9 miles in 32:42 a few month later.

I've never done any type of swim drill and after reading around thats what it looks like I need to do. I bought the total immersion freestyle dvd and am waiting for it now.

Also, a wetsuit will help some too.

That would be useful.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I want to get my Ironman swim split down to close to an hour (1:02ish).  I did a 1:06:00 in 2008 in less than ideal conditions (58 degree water, wind and waves).  I did two sub-30 minute half iron swims this year, so I think it's possible.  The plan is to swim 4x each week.  One swim will be tempo/speed (3000-3500), two moderate swims (3500-4500) and one long swim (4000-6000).  In March I will start moving my long swim up to 4000, then 5000, then a couple of 6000s.   One swim will be tempo/speed, two moderate swims and one long swim.

I have strated bilateral breathing all the time.  I had to slow down a little initially.  This week I swam 1000 straight, breathing every third stroke, in 14:40.  I think the bilateral breathing is really helping me develop my "off side."

There it is.  It looks good on paper.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

protoplasm72

T-Bone, you do those swims as straight swims or do you break them up into intervals?  I've pretty much given up on the long straight swims over 2k.  I used to go as far as 5k non-stop but I didn't see significant improvements.  Maybe I didn't stick with it long enough.

Carl A

I listened to an audio interview with S. African distance-swimmer Cari Bruwer, and she said that she only does long, relaxed swims--no intervals or speed workouts at all. Other distance swimmers like Lynn Cox also also follow this method, although it seems to me that triathletes tend to do speed and technique workouts. The way we train probably depends mostly on our goals.

That said, I'm setting only one simple swimming goal for 2010: a mile a week.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I want to get my OWS down to 2:00 per 100 for my sprint tris next year.  I haven't done a lot of timed laps so I'm not sure what my time is for regular 100's in the pool, but would like to start timing them and get faster by the end of the year. 

Want to definitely see an increase in speed and endurance.    Would like to be able to do butterfly longer than 50 yards without out passing out Smile

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

T-Bone, you do those swims as straight swims or do you break them up into intervals?  I've pretty much given up on the long straight swims over 2k.  I used to go as far as 5k non-stop but I didn't see significant improvements.  Maybe I didn't stick with it long enough.

They are broken up.    I rarely swim anything more than 1000 yds. straight.  I do that once in a while to see who I'm progressing, if at all.  I usually stick with sets that include 100s, 200s, 300, 400s and 500s.  I'm usually pretty detailed in my log about what I did during each swim.  Last year I was getting coached, so feel free to check out the workouts and steal them if you'd like.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'