Swimmers

new group member introductions (Read 506 times)

Welcome to the group! That's cool that you've done aquathlons. I really would like to try an aquathlon next year since I'm not really keen on doing the bike part of a tri.

I highly recommend it. Hope to do a bunch next summer.

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Aquathon: interesting, I haven't seen any of these, I have seen Aquvelo's that are held along with some tri's, especially some ironman distance but no Aquathons,  those sound like fun!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
      My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
      Ride 112 miles.
      Run 26.2 miles.
      Then brag for the rest of your life.
      -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Bugs

Hello. I'm not much of a swimmer.  I worked on it a few years ago and got where I was just about ready for a TRI but it was November in Minnesota, not TRI season and then just fell back into just running. Lately I've been hanging out with more triathlon friends and kind of feeling "less then" for just running. I'm not sure what my goals are other than I really want to get more muscles in shape besides my running ones. Honestly in the past I've wanted to run fast, more than even look hawt. Now I'm just enjoying exercise and using the events as a place to see what I can do. I'm backing away from all my friends encouragements to slog/run marathons, and want to focus more on shorter distances and total fitness.

I am registering for an indoor non-competive TRI end of Feb.  It is simply 15 minutes of swimming, 20 minutes of biking, and 20 minutes of running. However all the local very strong triathlon people will be doing it, and your laps will be counted, so it is an event for the books. I also don't want to cheat...which means I have to swim the 15 minutes without grabbing the side of the pool.

I look forward to getting to know everyone on this forum. Right now I'm just trying to get re-acquainted with the water.

Bugs

protoplasm72

Welcome back to the water Bugs.  It's not very warm but that is the way swimmers like it.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Elly.

I'm Elly.  I've been swimming forever ... but then again, I'm probably the oldest one posting on this forum.  I learned to swim with a masters' group over thirty years ago, when all  I did was swim.  Since I am originally from Europe, I've also have been cycling forever ... but that's for another forum.  Never did much running, but when I figured out I had the two other parts of a triathlon licked, surely I could learn to run!

A few years ago, I wiped out on the bike and landed in the ICU for several days rather broken and battered.  Life got in the way, the wonderful pool I had used closed, just excuse after excuse for me to forgo what had spent a lifetime building.  Oh yeah, did I mention I got fat, too? 

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to photograph for a local running club's newsletter.  I went digital and the pics were put on the website gallery.  And the enthusiasm of both young and old for the sport caused me to revisit the enjoyment I once had.  

I'm back in the swimming pool, doing a masters workout of 3,000 meters, biking to a video (it's snowing outside and I hate spinning classes) and running in a wonderfully huge, hilly park.  I bought a Garmin. 

Last year I stuck a hesitant toe in the sport of triathlon, and was flabbergasted to win my age group, of course I didn't have a whole lot of competition.  I signed up for a triathlon in June. I'm hoping for more competition. 

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

Slo

Hi Elly

Don't hesitate to join in the discussions. We're not the most active group but I think we all can benefit from your experience.

You Are Beautiful.

My name is Cassie. I'm 29. I live in Portland. I'm new to swimming. I mean I learned when I was a kid but never really swam for any particular reason. I'm doing the zero-to-one-mile program, just finished week one (2100 m total, 700m x 3days). I love biking and I enjoy running at times. I'm definitely a water-person.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

protoplasm72

Welcome Cassie.  Do you have a link to that swimming plan?  I'm just curious what kind of build up they recommend.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

You Are Beautiful.

Sure, protoplasm.

http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

Done with week 1.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                    Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

under a rock

Hi, I'm back after falling off the swimming wagon about a year ago. I'm now wishing I had never stopped. I continue to deal with ITband problems off and on. I'm over dealing with it. In a few weeks I'll be joining the YMCA again to get started back swimming so I can reduce my days of running to 3 a week. I'm also interested in aquathlons. I've been intimidated to commit to one in the past because the nearest ones to me have long swims that intimidate me. To solve this issue my Tri-pal has offered to do a sprint tri relay with her and I will do the swim and run portion. So I'm very excited and I hope that having a goal will keep me from falling off the swim wagon again.

Hello!  I've been on RA for a while, but just now found the Swimmers User Group.

I've been running for years.

I began swimming and biking 2 1/2 years ago (because I needed to learn how to swim in order to finish the triathlon I signed up for).

Since then, I've been hooked on multisport training. 

I try to do all 3 actitvities at least 2 x / week.

Over the past couple years, I've done a few Sprint triathlons, an Olympic, and a 1/2 Ironman.  I've done about 5 - 7 open water swim races, but the majority of my swimming is at the gym staring at the tiles at the bottom of the pool.

Next year, I'll be doing a full Ironman, and between now and then, I need to gain endurance and efficiency. 

So, I'm here to figure out how to be more efficient in the water.

Cheers,
                        Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

protoplasm72

Welcome Brian.  

I'm here mainly to pretend that I still swim, ha.  I really need to get back on the swimming wagon.  Shocked

vegefrog

I am a swimmer first, runner second. I swam age group and HS in Arkansas growing up. I continued to swim throughout college and I have done quite a few sprint triathlons. I don't do longer ones because my bike is a heavy, trusty ole Schwinn and I can't compete with the fancy carbon fiber bikes. I have always run off and on. My sister and I are training for our first marathon (Myrtle Beach in Feb '12).  Often on long runs I long for the pool, LOL. After this marathon I'm hoping to train for some long distance open water swims, there are quite a few here in Charleston.