Swimmers

Early Open Water Swim (Read 8 times)

I did an open water swim this past Saturday.
    54 degrees (air and water)

200+ swimmers.

Fun day of swimming with DFW Tri Club.

What's the coldest water temperatures you've swam in?

How early in the season for an open water swim?

Cheers,
    Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

mbk

I wanted to swim with that group but they required a wetsuit and I don't wear wetsuits.  I swam the next day with a different club.  I saw the pictures on Facebook and it looked like a great time.

The coldest water I've swam in is 54 degrees in San Francisco Bay (without wetsuit).  Last year I did an Alcatraz swim in March, that was probably my earliest swim ever.  Are you training for an event?  Are you planning other OWS?

I did an open water swim this past Saturday.
      54 degrees (air and water)

200+ swimmers.

Fun day of swimming with DFW Tri Club.

What's the coldest water temperatures you've swam in?

How early in the season for an open water swim?

Cheers,
      Brian

I'd have to cut about 40 inches of ice to get to water around here. I think open water swimming is going to be late this year

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I wanted to swim with that group but they required a wetsuit and I don't wear wetsuits.  I swam the next day with a different club.  I saw the pictures on Facebook and it looked like a great time.

The coldest water I've swam in is 54 degrees in San Francisco Bay (without wetsuit).  Last year I did an Alcatraz swim in March, that was probably my earliest swim ever.  Are you training for an event?  Are you planning other OWS?

There was 1 guy there who swam without a wetsuit.  I think he had special permission (training for an English Channel swim).

You could have borrowed a wetsuit.  I think it was RBM or somebody that was letting people 'rent' them for the cleaning fee.  I think they were new too.

Did you swim at Grapevine on Sunday?  With what group?  What are you training for?  Why don't you ever swim with a wetsuit?

In the picture, I was the guy wearing the wetsuit in the middle Smile

I'm not training for an event.  My friend is training for Galveston half Ironman this coming weekend, and hadn't ever done an open water swim before, so I went out there to 'coach' him and get him through the morning.  I need to be training for an event though.  I'm just working out whenever I want to, and I'm ready to get serious again.

By the way, BT, enjoy your winter while we enjoy our spring / summer Smile  40 inches of ice still?  I mowed the yard Saturday after the swim.   It'll be 88 degrees tomorrow.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

mbk

I have a wetsuit I'm just not a fan.  Also, I do mostly open water swims where wetsuits are discouraged.  You are only eligible for awards if you don't wear a wetsuit.  I'm not fast enough to win awards, but I guess I'm trying to be as "authentic" as possible.

I'm a member of a triathlon club, Tri-Now Endurance, even though I don't do triathlons because I don't really care for cycling.  I do two pool swims each week with them, plus a track workout.  From late March through October they offer a couple of Open Water Swims each month on Sundays on the north side of Lake Lewisville in Little Elm.  They are also going to start doing some occasional Saturday swims in Lake Ray Hubbard.  You can come out to any swim and pay a $10 drop-in fee.  I do occasionally swim with other groups but mostly go to the Tri-Now swims.  It's a great group of people and very open and friendly.  Feel free to join us any time.

I'm currently training for an Alcatraz swim on July 6 called "Swim Around the Rock."  You start at Aquatic Park in SF, swim out to Alcatraz, around the island and back to Aquatic Park.  It's about 3.25 miles.  I might do the Swim Across America 5k swim in June, and I usually try to do one or more of the Snapping Tortuga 5k swims in Conroe, TX.  Last year I signed up for a 10k swim in Conroe but had to skip due to family issues.  I'm hoping to sign up again (it's in November) and also do the "Slam the Dam" 8k swim in Lake Meade outside Las Vegas which is in September, I think.

My running is kind of like your swimming right now.  I was injured most of last year and haven't raced since 1/1/2013.  Right now I'm just trying to keep fit and get faster but don't have any races on my calendar and don't think I'll sign up for anything except maybe a 5k.  I love to run and it was my first sport before swimming, but right now I'm running just to run.

Maybe we'll meet at a swim someday.  Let me know if you sign up for any races.