Swimmers

Total Immersion DVD (Read 171 times)

Bugs

Total Immersion Drills Video

I bought the DVD a few years ago, but those drills seems so pointless, but I think I'm just too eager. I can see the point to some but say the one where they she is in sweet spot and almost rotates on her back to breath (at about 4:40 in the vide), what's the purpose in that drill?

Bugs

Slo

Bugs

I thought the same thing when I first bought the video....after spending another year in the pool working harder and not seeing any benefits I decided to commit to at least 4 weeks of following the drills as outlined.

They work....

If you want to swim competitively then I wouldn't say theTI program is the best. If you want to learn how to swim for fitness purposes, your a beginner, or your a novice looking to hone and progress then I think the TI program has much to offer.

There is a progression of the drills.....one compliments the other. Once you have some time moving thru them you can drop the everything before the side drills. I still do these on a regular basis.

I haven't seen the DVD, but I have heard lots of good things about it. I did read the book, but I've been swimming since I was about 2 and felt like trying to change my stroke was similiar to trying to change my strike when I run.  It just was too unnatural. 

What I did feel like was a huge help for me was joining a Masters Swim team.  The coach did notice suttle things that I needed to change in my stroke and it helped me quite a bit to get faster.  But it wasn't things that were a total change for me in my style etc. 

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers

Bugs

I think I will try some of the drills, maybe even now. I've had a little over training lately, but want to keep my head in the water. Would you agree most of those drills are not a workout?

Bugs

Slo

I would agree that drills are not a workout...in terms of and aerobic effort anyway.

Kick drills and Paddles however can be a workout.....But we're not talking about technique oriented drills.

The drills covered in TI will not provide much of an aerobic workout and they should be done fully rested between sets so you are doing them properly. Thats the purpose of Drills....to re-enforce perfect technique.

A trip to the pool should look as follows.

Warm Up (5 -10 mins)

Drills

Main Set

Cool Down (5 mins)

Your main set is your actual workout.