Swimmers

Freesytle Form: updating the 80s S-form? (Read 257 times)

Brian, will the shops fit you for free? I'm only 5'0 tall, so I am assuming I would need an XS bike, but it would be cool to know...just in case.

They should fit you for free.  When I was shopping, I was giving them the impression that I had lots of money (in my pocket ready to buy).

They'll definitely fit you then Smile

Really what you NEED is the size of the bike.  The actually details of the fitting might have a price tag at the bike shop, or you could do it yourself (by doing a little research, and asking questions to those in the know).

MTA: you can bring in a used bike that you purchase from Craigslist or anywhere, and they'll do the detailed fitting for you for a price (seat height, seat location, bar height, etc.).  They'll work on bikes that aren't new and weren't purchased from them.

I'd guess that you'll need either a 48 cm (centimeter) or a 50 cm based on 5' height.  My wife is 5'4", and she has 48 cm that's a little small (she could have a 50cm without any problem).  You might need a 46 cm... They'll give you good advice at the bike shop.  (And yes, 46 - 48cm is like an XS).

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

To me it's very odd that cycling is my weakest event by far.  8mi at 15mph (on a stationary bike) was pure torture.  I would have thought that the cardio base and strength of my legs, would help me much more than it seems to help me in swimming.  It might be the stationary bike that's the problem -- I've always hated them.  Legs too far apart compared to cycling.

Also, I have the opposite problem from Vege.  I'm 6'3".

Stadjak,

I think it may be a little early to say whether it's your weakest event.  Just like swimming and running, cycling takes practice and requires different muscles than you've conditioned with the marathon training.

It may be the setup on the stationary bike.  It may be the fact that you ran a marathon 7 days ago.  It may be that's it's new muscles. 

When I do stationary bikes, I try to use the SPIN cycle bikes rather than the bike seated stationary bikes.  For one, the weight of the flywheel on the SPIN bike requires a more consistent spin and provides for an even workout.  It also typically provides for good modification of the seat height and bar height.  The one that I use at the gym is made by Keiser.

For 6'3", you're probably in need of a 58cm (maybe a 60cm)???

I'm 6' with a 56cm.

Life Goals:

vegefrog

Thanks for the info Brian Smile

BT those are good articles.

I'm glad this thread got started, I'm definitely gonna spend a few weeks working on technique when I hit the pool. I like to think my swimming form stays intact even through the off season, but there is always room for improvement!!

vegefrog

Well nobody I asked had too much to say on the subject, LOL. The college coach told me that while the swim smooth method appears similar to the technique the swimmers use, she hadn't ever seen that website or heard it called that. I guess by the time they get to her the swimmers pretty much have their technique down it's all about the workouts and races so she doesn't so much teach technique as make sure they are race ready fitness wise. 

http://www.swimtypes.com/

Got this link emailed to me yesterday.  Taking a look at it now.  Pretty interesting.  Don't know who I am, but it's a decent read.

I have a feeling I'm an over-glider.

Life Goals:

vegefrog

Oh yeah. I'm totally a swinger!!!!

This morning I hit the pool for the first time this year. It was freaking FREEZING! I ran 4 miles first to warm myself up. I wore my swim suit on underneath shorts/shirt so I could just rip them off and dive right in, LOL. Took my breath away for the first few laps then I guess I got numb Smile

I was thinking about my stroke, something I rarely do, and I can definitely use a tune up. I wasn't going to add drills into my sets, but I think I will for sure now.

I'm going to try to swim 3 days a week a mile each day. That's about all I have time for with all the running I'm going to be doing. For the first time in my life I am swimming to help my running, not the other way around!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

A friend of mine who wants to get into Tri, but "doesn't know how to swim" (whatever that means) has cajoled a collegiate swimteam friend to help him with the basics.  I'm trying to hork in on the lesson.  I'll report back on the advice I receive. 

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do