Swimmers

How to begin (Read 290 times)

Hey all,

I have been finding myself injured from excessive mileage too often anymore so I want to incorporate swimming into my weekly regime. Problem is, I don't really know how to swim. I mean I can swim if I had to save my life but I'm sure my technique is not correct. Also, the pool I am thinking about using is like 50 meters or something and I'm concerned I simply will not make it across.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to go about this? Any books or video's I can review. Also, what kind of gear is required? Would I need goggles and stuff.

TIA

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?
    Slo

My recommendation is to get lessons.

It won't require many.

Next, make sure you stick with it. It takes a certain amount of tenacity to become a swimmer. Swimming is about the most un-natural thing we humans do. There is nothing intuitive about it.

There is a very good Book and Video put out by Total Immersion. I don't recommend trying to learn to swim by self instruction but the Total Immersion program can get you swimming.

And then there is always the person in the lane next to you. Watch, imitate and ask for help......I never mind helping someone.

Did I mention tenacity? I've seen so many beginners come and go. Do yourself a favor and stick it out. It may literally take a year before your comfortable in the water......but over that time you will have may "break thru" moments.....things just click, seconds fall of your lap times, you learn that going hypoxic isn't going to kill you.

Good luck !

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I agree with everything Slo-Hand said.  I started swimming about 3 or 4 years ago using Total Immersion.  It was very helpful in getting me used to being in the water, breathing and balance.  You will be a better athlete if you can swim regularly.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Cool, I'm going to do this. The YMCA has lessons so I think I'll go that route. After doing a little research I realize I suck really bad at swimming. I am hoping this will be a fun means of cross training because I hate eveything else and I simply can not hit the mileage I want to without getting injured.

One other question, is it necessary to wear those speedo things or can I just purchase a regular pair of swimming shorts?

Thanks guys

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?
          protoplasm72

One other question, is it necessary to wear those speedo things or can I just purchase a regular pair of swimming shorts?

Nah, only women are required encouraged to dress in skimpy swim suits.  You'll see a lot of triathletes and former swimmers wearing jammers all the time cause they do feel different so you wouldn't want to only wear them on race day.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Slo

Thanks guys

I would recommend the Jammers. Maybe not at first, but once you get started swimming laps you'll be amazed at the difference in the drag.

Keep us posted on how things go. I don't know anyone who ever regreted taking up swimming but I hear "I wish I could swim" all the time!

Carl A

Hi Jesse,

I'm the guy who ran with you once around Lake Scranton. I used to swim at Weston Fieldhouse, on lunchbreaks. It's an older and smaller pool, but it's more economical, especially if you're just looking to swim and not use all the other YMCA equipment. The water there is sometimes really warm, though--probably to suit the retirees who mostly use it. I'm going to rejoin as soon as I can get together an extra $37.50, which is what they charge for three months.

Since you asked, here are some swimming links:

links

Good luck!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Hi Carl,

I sure do remember you. Did you say $37.50 for 3 months?!  Is the pool at Weston regulation size(if that's what it's called)? Also, I'm looking for swim lessons do you know if they offer that? YMCA offrers it to non-members but it's quite pricy that way. It still might be worth it though to pay for a few expensive lessons and just go to Weston. Currently I have a memebership to a pool less gym and I'm stuck on this contract for a few more months. I really want to start swimming though for my spring marathon buildup. I plan on adding swimming instead of mileage(sick of getting injuredSad.

Carl A

Is the pool at Weston regulation size(if that's what it's called)?

The pool there isn't really regulation size; it's 20 yards long (the side numbers show 60 feet), and forty-four 40-yard laps are exactly a mile. The public-swim hours on the handout they gave me last year say two hours around noontime and an hour or so in the evening, depending on which weeknight.

Also, I'm looking for swim lessons do you know if they offer that? YMCA offrers it to non-members but it's quite pricy that way. It still might be worth it though to pay for a few expensive lessons and just go to Weston.

I'm not sure if Weston offers lessons. Even if they do, though, you'd probably get better ones at the Y than you would at Weston. I'm not knocking Weston; it's just that they're operating with far less resources.

I really want to start swimming though for my spring marathon buildup. I plan on adding swimming instead of mileage(sick of getting injuredSad.

I hear you on the injury thing! While I don't think that swimming makes me a faster short-distance runner, it definitely increases overall body fitness and is therefore great training for long footraces: In 2008, I swam regularly on my lunchbreaks and managed to finish the 100-miler that I trained all year for. In 2009, I barely swam at all and DNF'd the same race at mile 79. Coincidence? I think not!

2010 is going to be a swimming year.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Thanks Carl. Perhaps I will run into you at WestonSmile