Swimmers

Roll Call (Read 292 times)

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Hi everyone,

I did a quick check of my log yesterday and see that I accumulated 95 miles of swimming this year,  I am hoping to get in the last 5 before the end of the year, but just can't get motivated to get back into the pool after the St. Croix 5 mile event in Mid October.

We didn't get a chance to swim the entire 5 miles during the event due to Tropical Storm Raffeal, but we did swim the two mile event, into a current, into the 20 MPH wind and seas that were 2-4 feet.  They modified the swim from 5 to 2 miles and everyone was grateful,  I got a little blown off course and swam about 2.4 miles, slowest 2.4 miles ever!

Anyway, I'm hoping to get motivated to get back in the pool next week.

Kevin

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
    My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
    Ride 112 miles.
    Run 26.2 miles.
    Then brag for the rest of your life.
    -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Hi everyone,

I did a quick check of my log yesterday and see that I accumulated 95 miles of swimming this year,  I am hoping to get in the last 5 before the end of the year, but just can't get motivated to get back into the pool after the St. Croix 5 mile event in Mid October.

We didn't get a chance to swim the entire 5 miles during the event due to Tropical Storm Raffeal, but we did swim the two mile event, into a current, into the 20 MPH wind and seas that were 2-4 feet.  They modified the swim from 5 to 2 miles and everyone was grateful,  I got a little blown off course and swam about 2.4 miles, slowest 2.4 miles ever!

Anyway, I'm hoping to get motivated to get back in the pool next week.

Kevin

Sounds like a rough race.

Heres your motivation.....100 miles. Get in the pool and knock those remaining 9000 yards out, That shouldn't be much for a guy that enters a 5 mile race and ends up swimming in a tropical storm.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Hi Diana,

I'm here, and there are a couple of others that have posted here in the past year.  Mostly, though, it's dead.  BurntToast is our resident swimmer.  From his original post in March 2010, he struggled in his 2nd month of swimming.  In 2012, he's scheduled to swim 190 miles for the year.  That's a lot.

Regardless, both him and I come from other areas of activity and began swimming +/- 3 years ago.

We're not fast former collegiate swimmers.  There may be some lurking within the forum.

Welcome.  Enjoy.

To start, you must start with short intervals.  If you run / bike, it may be frustrating, because you'll be limited to 1 - 3 minute swimming sets rather than 20 - 60 minutes of continuous running.  DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED.

For me, swimsmooth.com has been a tremendous tool to help me understand what I'm supposed to look like in the water.

Brian

That is so sad. I feel like a phony just being called a swimmer, but I guess technically a Walrus swims too.

Welcome Diane. If you have questions or comments, feel free to post them up. Someone will answer eventually and hopefully and shed some insight and knowledge.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Shakedown Street

I am a lurker too...new to RA from RWOL....swim on easy/off running days, currently about 5K a week. Hoping to get that up more.

Lucky that I have an indoor pool next-door to my office.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

toyger

Just ran across this forum. Yay! I'm also new to RA from RWOL.

Swimming used to be my main sport--ever since I was 6 years old, I was on a swim team through high school and then was part of a masters team in college (I took a few years off between middle school and high school; hence masters and not college team).  I recently joined the Peluso Masters Swim Team in Richmond, VA in August of this year. And, even though I'm 38 and way out of practice, I'm falling in love with swimming all over again. I can't get enough. It's been a nice complement to running.

We have a swim meet coming up on the 16th--my first in over 20 years.

I'm excited to get to know folks here and share experiences/tips.

Jen

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

OK, so on this last day of 2012, I got in the pool for my final swim and logged 2000 yards, which put me at 100.5 miles for the year!

Thanks Burnt Toast for the kick in the pants Wink

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
              My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
              Ride 112 miles.
              Run 26.2 miles.
              Then brag for the rest of your life.
              -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Congrats, Tri-Kev! I posted in the "50 miles down, 50 to go" thread, but I thought I would check in here too. I look forward to a fun year in swimming and continuing to improve technique, speed and fitness. Happy New Year, all!

toyger

Happy New Year!! Heading out for my first swim of the year, followed by a short run.

Jen

I hope you had a great swim, Toyger. Happy New Year!

I went for a mini-row, mini-pool run and mini-swim this morning (15 minutes each). All went well but I felt a little fidgety and listless so I just went with it. I plan to settle in and get down to business in the next few days. Good day and happy swimming, all!

toyger

Thanks, melco! I had a little trouble getting up this morning at 4:30, but I'm glad I pushed through and went to practice. It was drill day, so not as intense as usual which is fine since it's been over a week since I've been in the pool. It felt great. We ended up swimming about 2200 yards. I'm participating in a stroke technique clinic starting this Sunday. I'm excited to see how I can improve my form.

Hope you had a good swim workout as well. With the mini pool run, do you run on an underwater treadmill? What is a mini-row?

Jen

Awesome job of getting up and at 'em! I'm an a.m. exerciser too. ^5 for 4:30!! That's some awesome yardage to kick off the new year. Are you on a school team or a masters team? For the stroke clinic, will it be for freestyle or a variety of strokes?

Oh, I wish I had access to one of the underwater treadmills! That sounds like fun, but no, I do deep water pool running. Some use  aqua jogging belts, but I do it without (I have my own buoyancy around the middle at the moment, lol!), but basically you just run in the deep end. I use a variety of forms: cycling and bounding mostly, as long as I am pushing all the way through with my foot, I feel like I've gotten a decent "run" in. Maybe I'm not describing it well enough? I can link a blog from an injured runner if you'd like to learn more about. Very informative!

For the mini-row, I just meant I was being an indecisive flibberdejibbet this morning so I moved around between the three workouts and my row was so short it felt very mini. My Y has two rowing machines that we can use and it is such a great workout.

Do you go back and forth between running and swimming or focus on swimming more in the winter?

toyger

Thanks, melco!

I'm on a masters swim team, and hope to participate in some of the swim meets in the coming year. I used to swim competitively but then stopped while in college. I took up running and thought swimming would be a nice way to cross train and recover from the hard pounding caused by running. I'm trying to increase both my running and swimming distances at the moment. I tend to place more emphasis on swimming when I'm recovering from longer races or if I'm dealing with injury. Many of the folks with whom I swim are triathletes, so I'm thinking about signing up for a sprint tri in the spring/ late summer. I have a 60k in March, so I'll likely wait until the summer.

As for the stroke clinic, I think we'll mostly focus on free but I'm not sure. It may depend on our interests. My worst stroke is butterfly, and I would be interested in focusing on this as well as free. I'll keep you posted!

How do you balance your running and swimming? Do you compete in any triathlons?

Jen

Hey, Toyger!

I love masters! I refined a lot of stroke work there, and though I only participated in one meet, I love the atmosphere of swim meets. So much fun! You'll have to let us know how yours go and what events you choose. Smart to focus on swimming as solid and consistent cross-training, especially for an ultra runner! :-) Yikes! I've not been moved to to anything over 26.2, thankfully (that gives me enough grief, as it is). What 60K will you be running? Do you go to spinning classes and have a road bike ready for your upcoming tri season? I love running, swimming and biking, but I like them separately. Once again, I'm grateful that bug hasn't bitten me...yet.

Ah, the elusive butterfly. I can do about 15 yards or so before it becomes TOO ugly. ;-) It's fun and takes hard work but it's doable. The problem with me is that I feel self-conscious because it's so unusual for people to even try that it becomes a spectacle, regardless of how well or poorly you swim. However, people tend to think you're awesome just for trying. Have fun with the clinic and please report back!

Well, since I've been injured the better part of a year, my running has been sadly inconsistent. Lots of foot issues and during last training cycle I ended up with shin splints, of all things. For now, I am really trying to beef up my cardio with rowing, swimming and spinning while slowly rebuilding my running. I hope to be up for some 5Ks and 10Ks and maybe a half this May. But mostly, I just want to be fit, balanced and go with the flow.

Anybody still swimming?

This forum is dead.  No posts since 4/1/2013?

Certainly, many of us have still been swimming these past 5 1/2 months.

Right?

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I'm still swimming although I am not a fan of it.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life