Swimmers

WDYDT - week of 9/14 (Read 281 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks, SLO_HAND for the idea.

Today, I started trying to reorganize my fitness life.  After a sudden stop in running (got tired of the injuries) last week, I was left floundering trying to figure out what to do with myself.  Remembered I liked to swim when I did it regularly.  Decided to come back here and get started up again.

Today, I have boxing training from 11-12:30, and then am going to attempt the following workout:

w/u

4x25 swim, rest:10/25

build (repeat x 4)

1x25 streamline kick (no board) R :10/25

1x25 freestyle glide drill r:10/25

core (repeat x 2)

4x50 freestyle pull with bouy, R:15/50

1/100 easy backstroke

c/d

1x50 freestyle easy R15/50

1/50 breaststroke easy

Like I mentioned on another thread, I got this workout through www.swimplan.com.  I told it I could do the 4 basic strokes and had access to pull bouy and kickboard.  I told it I could comfortably complete 1000 yards, was a "slow" swimmer (but not a beginner), and had "below average" fitness level.  This is the workout it picked for me.  I can give it feedback for the next workout to make the workout harder or easier.  Should be interesting.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Roads were made for journeys...

Slo

And thanks Wingz for getting us resurrected !

I decided to do a marathon and really let my swimming slip.

After my 20 miler yesterday I oficially began my taper so I'm looking forward to getting back to the pool regulary. Starting today !

This morning I did a 500 yd opener. Followed with some kick drills on very tired legs but I could feel my back getting a good workout. I threw in some 50 yd repeats, some various drills and the 500 yds to close. Didn't have a plan.

The pool is a very good place for tired and stiff joints. I feel like a million bucks after todays swim.

Wingz

Professional Noob

The swim workout went well.  I found that it was a good match for my fitness level and swimming ability, and left me feeling a little tired but not exhausted.  Didn't want to overdo it at the get-go because while I don't have a history of shoulder injuries, that's about the only joint I've not injured while exercising!    So I think I'll keep it at this level for the rest of the week and then see what happens when I tell the website to make the workout a little bit harder.

Boxing didn't happen today.  Due to personal issues, my coach was unavailable.  He asked me to run while he was finding out if he'd be able to make it.  My run didn't work well, and he didn't make it.

Oh well - at least I had a good swim?  Now to hunt down some lunch!!!

It's good to see some work outs. Yeah Wingz on getting back to swimming. 

I have been going to Master's swims fairly regulary (at least 2 times a week) but have had so many different sets that I cannot remember them when I get into work.  (Suxs getting old)

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Today: first swim before work!

The workout:

w/u (repeat x 2)

1x25 freestyle R:10

1x25 backstroke r:10

build (repeat x 4)

1x25 streamline kick r:10

1x25 freestyle glide drill r:10

core (repeat x 2)

2 x 100 breaststroke  r:20

2x50 breaststroke (25 easy, 25 effort) r:15

w/d

1x50 freestyle easy r:15

1x50 breaststroke easy

Slo

Wed AM

500 yd warm up

200 Kick alternating between 25 yds of a big kick and 25 yds of a flutter kick

200 Drills

Side and cath-up

250 yd time trial  (4:15) nothing spectacular

200 Kick

200 Drills

300 yd wrap up.

Nothing hard, just getting back in the groove.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Well, yesterday afternoon I was NOT able to get out of bed early enough to go swim before work... *yawn!* kinda the same problem I had with running, lol!  So I went after (this AM) and it worked well.

Breaststroke was always my stronger stroke, so it doesn't surprise me that the last workout went a bit too quickly, but I went ahead and told swimplan.com to give me a slightly harder workout today.  This is what it came up with:

Next workout: 1100 yds

2 x 100yd Backstroke Swim (Kick every 4th 25yd), rest 0:20 / 100yd
                  Backstroke swim for 75yd then Back Kick with arms loosely by your side for 25yd.

Build up (repeat 2 times)

1 x 25yd Streamline Kicking, rest 0:10 / 25yd
                  Freestyle kick with arms held out front in a streamlined position. Fingers overlap with one thumb lightly gripping the opposite hand. Lift your chin above the water to breath without turning your head.
                1 x 25yd Freestyle Swim, rest 0:10 / 25yd
                1 x 25yd Single Arm (arm out front) 6 x left, 6 x right, 6 x full stroke, rest 0:10 / 25yd
                  Freestyle using one arm at a time, focusing on shoulder and hip rotation. Complete 6 arm strokes with the left arm then 6 strokes with the right arm followed by 6 strokes using both arms. The non-stroking arm is held out front in a streamlined position.

Core (repeat 3 times)

8 x 25yd Freestyle Swim, rest 0:10 / 25yd
                Rest 0:30 seconds

Warm down

2 x 50yd Freestyle Easy, rest 0:15 / 50yd
                  Freestyle swim at a slow, relaxed pace.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

PR'd my Half Iron swim split - 1.2 mile in 29:38 at USAT Long Course Nationals.  Yeah!!

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Wingz

Professional Noob

Whoot!

Big grin

PR'd my Half Iron swim split - 1.2 mile in 29:38 at USAT Long Course Nationals.  Yeah!!

Very cool!  Great job!

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

This was a nice little workout today:

Warm up (repeat 4 times)

1 x 25yd Freestyle Swim (even pace), rest 0:10 / 25yd
                          Freestyle swim at a steady pace.
                        1 x 25yd Backstroke Swim (even pace), rest 0:10 / 25yd
                          Backstroke swim at a steady pace.

Build up (repeat 2 times)

1 x 25yd Streamline Kicking, rest 0:10 / 25yd
                          Freestyle kick with arms held out front in a streamlined position. Fingers overlap with one thumb lightly gripping the opposite hand. Lift your chin above the water to breath without turning your head.
                        1 x 25yd Single Arm (arm out front) 6 x left, 6 x right, 6 x full stroke, rest 0:10 / 25yd
                          Freestyle using one arm at a time, focusing on shoulder and hip rotation. Complete 6 arm strokes with the left arm then 6 strokes with the right arm followed by 6 strokes using both arms. The non-stroking arm is held out front in a streamlined position.

Core

1 x 200yd Freestyle Swim, rest 0:60 / 200yd
                        2 x 50yd Freestyle Kick with kickboard, rest 0:20 / 50yd
                          Freestyle kicking using a kickboard. Grip the front and rest your forearms on the board. Your chin should just touch the water.
                        6 x 50yd Freestyle Swim, leave on 01:25 / 50yd
                          Freestyle swim, starting every 50yd set on the defined time period. The departure time combines your swimming target time and rest time, so the faster you go the more rest you will have. Conversely, the slower you swim, the less rest time you will have.

Warm down

4 x 50yd Breaststroke Easy, rest 0:15 / 50yd
                          Breaststroke swim at a slow, relaxed pace.

Slo

Wingz

Thanks for keeping this going.

I'll be back to swimming next week and havce some specific goals that I want to accomplish in the off season.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, Steve. Smile

Did this this morning:

Duration 45-60 mins
                            Distance 1600yd
                            Pool length 25yd
                            Issued Sep 22 2009

Warm up (repeat 2 times)

1 x 50yd Backstroke Easy, rest 0:15 / 50yd
                            2 x 25yd Breaststroke Easy, rest 0:10 / 25yd

Build up (repeat 4 times)

1 x 25yd Freestyle Breath Left, rest 0:10 / 25yd
                            1 x 25yd Freestyle Breath Right, rest 0:10 / 25yd

Core

6 x 100yd Freestyle Swim, target time 02:10 / 100yd, rest 0:30 / 100yd
                            2 x 200yd Freestyle Swim, target time 04:20 / 200yd, rest 0:30 / 200yd

Warm down

1 x 100yd Freestyle Push & Glide, rest 0:20 / 100yd
                            1 x 100yd Freestyle Easy, rest 0:20 / 100yd

That was a good challenge for me.  1600 yds is more than I've been doing.  I wasn't able to make the goal time of 2:10/100, but I'm not stressing over it too much at this point.  I'm still new enough back in to swimming that I expect my times'll be changing a bit in the near future, so I'll wait until things settle down a bit.

Signed up for the local tri club's off season swim conditioning/coaching program today.  It runs for a couple of months, focusing on drills and stroke improvement.  I figured I could use some coaching.  Smile

Slo

Not much of a workout today. Just wanted to get back into the pool after the Marathon Sunday.

Felt really good......Until I put the fins on.....Wow did my legs tire out quickly.....who'd a thought ! LOL

1800 very easy and relaxed yards. I'm in the process of defining my swimming goals and formulating a plan / schedule to get me there.