Swimmers

Making progress (Read 234 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Swimming for 50 to 100 minutes without much problem.  Even did bilateral (sp?) for the whole way today.  Once you learn to relax it is not that bad.  It took me to build up to this but today was a big break through day. 

I also just go the TI Freestyle video and started watching that last night.  So I think I am moving in the right direction.  I am really enjoying the swimming.  The time seems to fly by right now. 

So that leads me to my big question.  How do I get faster?  I know form will help with that but will doing sprints help as well.  I feel that is a loaded question though because to go faster I have to try harder and therefore I am not as relaxed and you are suppsed to be relaxed as a swimmer. 

I did 1700 Meters in 45 minutes today and just feel that must be really slow. 

2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    Slo

Same concept on running Bearcat.....Keep swimming.

Your biggest gains in speed are going to come from improvments in your form and time in the pool.

Finish watching the TI video. He says its not about necessarily about being fast, its about sustaining the speed you have so the 10000th stroke is the same as the 5000th stroke, is the sae as the first stroke, especially if you are planning on longer distance tri's.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Okay so keep swimming and watch the video got it. 

I will work on the superman when I take the kids swimming.  I am using pool time for better overall fitness, burn calories and get some pool time in.  I like that I am working my upper body for a change.

Swimming seems to be great for the core. 

2011 Goals:
            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
          protoplasm72

Yup, for now swimming more and improving your form are key.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

JoeInTX

I'm 51 and have only been swimming the past 18 months.  Also need the aid of a snorkel.  It takes me 30 min to swim 1100m.  I know its exremely slow, but trying to be consistent.  I used to try and count laps, but kept losing count, now I swim based on time and just try to be consistent.
              Elly.

Get rid of the snorkel and breathe/swim like the big kids. 

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

JoeInTX

Get rid of the snorkel and breathe/swim like the big kids. 

If I get rid of the snorkel, I may never breathe again.   Besides as old as I am, I'd rather stay a little kid! 

Carl A

Joe: I'm OK with the snorkel. Half a lifetime ago, I once saw some pretty fish while snorkeling.

As for present-day me, I finally put in a training swim in June and an open-water mile in July. Feeling the progress, here!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

If I get rid of the snorkel, I may never breathe again.   Besides as old as I am, I'd rather stay a little kid! 

You definately need to get rid of the snorkel. It will take a little getting used to, but it will be worth it.

For now, try and brearhe with the snorkel and only inhale every third stroke like you would if you didn't have it and had to turn your head out of the water to take a quick breathe. After awhile, you should be able to leave the snorkel in the bag.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life