Swimmers

Finding Open Water (Read 271 times)

Beware, batbear...

The idea of open water swimming really appeals to me, but I have no idea where to find open water.  I live in the mountains (Asheville).  I don't know of any open water swimming areas around here.  Have any of you ever gone on a similar search?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Hey Josh - we don't have that problem in Spokane.  There are about 70 lakes within an hour drive of downtown.  Make sure you find a lake that does not allow motor boats or that has a designated swim area.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

t_runner

When I went looking for the same thing, I checked with the local triathlon club.  That, or any local triathlons or swim races should give you a good idea of places to swim.

Beware, batbear...

Do you have to have permission to swim on a lake or is a swim at your own risk sort of thing?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

A few times I've done open water swims on lakes that did allow boats, so I had DH stay beside me in the canoe so I didn't get run over.  A bit boring for him, perhaps, but it worked.  I've also seen people with these flags attached to them somehow, that stick up like a buoy.
              2009 Goals:
              PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
              Run a 10K
              Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
              Complete my first Sprint Tri