The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

Spoon

Up to the 10K, my training had simply been 2-3 30-minute runs per week at about as fast a pace as I could maintain (definitely not always comfortably), probably 7-7:30/mile. One week before the 10K I went out and ran a very slow (~10 min/mile) run for 1 hour. I wanted to know that I could run for that long even if it wasn't fast. I guess it all came together that morning because I certainly didn't deserve to run that time...
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Doh, I should have posted this before, but there are two 5Ks tomorrow morning. One is the mediation groups Trouble Run, or something, run over the Hospice 5K course -- starts at 9AM at the usual Hospice start spot in the govermental center area. I'm not running it because I'm working it.There is also the Colon 5K, or something, up in Calvert County somewhere I think.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

That Trouble Run must not have done a very good job of advertising, because I don't think I've heard anything about it. How was the turnout?
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

40 or 50 runners? It didn't wind up on the CBRC calendar -- yeah, it could use more advertising next time. Andy & Amy Mattingly won.

Diesel Power

I was just on the CBRC website, where they have a picture posted from the starting line of the 2006 Hospice... why is it that there are almost always small children who are on the starting line? It's almost as if they want to get trampled. I'm guessing the 5K/10K will start at the same time. Based on last year's results, I expect about 400-500 people to crowd behind the starting line. Even if the field is similar to 2006, I should finish in the top 20 or so. Therefore, I'm going to be one of the jerks pushing my way to the first few rows. Obviously I won't be in the very front, but I'm not going to be farther back than three or four rows. I'll be very happy if I can keep from getting boxed in like at the St. Partrick's Day 5K.
            Durrr

I would hope that the 10k and 5k starts are separated by a couple minutes. That's how they do it at Chaptico. Perry?
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think everyone (10K run, 5K run, 5K walk) starts at the same place at the same time. A colleague remembers them calling for the runners to go up front. I think last year we started a ways back, and had to pass through walkers. When you hit Leonardtown/Hollywood road, the 10K runners turn right (and I don't know where they go after that), and the 5K runners turn left to old Leonardtown. The 10K runners eventually come back to the same finish line (which is the same as the starting line).

Durrr

In all the pictures I've seen of Hospice starts, there's a line of cones seemingly dividing the starting line in two. It would be sensible to have the 10k runners stay to the right of the cones and the 5k runners to left, because the former turn right and the latter turn left.

Diesel Power

I just registered for the Run for Hospice 5K online thru Active.com. There actually was a "NONE" option under Team Event, so I selected that when filling out the team name. I doubt that will do anything, as there won't be an award ceremony or anything for teams not in the two divisions. I'm slightly tentative that the "NONE" team option is for the purpose of collecting donations as a team. I actually may try to scrape a few bucks together, in case they list such results somewhere. It'd be terrible to see a big fat "$0.00 donations" from The League of Extraordinary Runners.
                    Spoon

Have you noticed that when you use active.com to register for a race that the credit card payment page is not an https but simply http? I was going to sign up for a race but then noticed that and got paranoid...

Diesel Power

The registration receipt page I printed out is HTTPS… I didn’t think to check the credit card information page. However, I’ve never had an issue with Active.com, nor have I heard of any other issues with this (not to say it doesn’t happen). Paying online is a roll of the dice, but I don’t think it’s any more of one than sending your checking account or credit card number thru the mail, or even giving a credit card to a waiter who takes it into another room. Of course, that’s an argument for an entirely different day…
                        Spoon

Ya know, I hadn't really thought of it that way. That makes sense. And if you've never had any trouble...
                          Durrr

Here's a bit of CBRC insider information I got from Perry: President Victor will be running the Hospice 10k, not the 5k. With that in mind, I'd say it's likely that other CBRC heavy-hitters like Vice President Travis will probably also run the 10k.

Diesel Power

While this will probably change 100 times between now and next Saturday, the projected 4/19 weather in Leonardtown shows a high of 74 degrees, partly cloudy, 10% chance of precipitation. If the high is 74, I imagine the temperature would be in the low 60s at race time.
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm probably going to run the Leatherneck 5K this Sat am at Pax, if I can reach the race coordinator tomorrow to ask to be put on the base access list to get in. It is at 0930 -- um, I don't know where.