The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

Diesel Power

You should also consider coming UP for League races, though. Chaptico Classic is unlikely. I am only considering doing the Parkville HS race (so soon after the 5 miler) because it might be an important race to Val and her friends. Additionally, Chaptico Classic is pretty expensive. However, it could be interesting to try my luck at the 10k at that raceā€¦
    Durrr

Well in that case you should bring Val to a race at Ryken sometime (I know the campus hosts at least one public 5k).
      Durrr

And on scoring, I think this past Spring season was perfectly score-worthy. The scoring work itself has been absent merely due to the apathetic negligence of someone who shall not be named. However, I hope to get to Joe's apartment sometime in the near future so that races we've run --- from the Hospice 5k to the Kiwanis 10k --- will at least have results posted on the League website.
          When is the baltimorish 5 Miler you speak of, what's the price?
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Joe was going to run with us this evening at the college before the concert, but some pretty young thing persuaded him not to -- but he wanted to, I can attest.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

Alden - The BRRC 5 miler is one 8/17, a week before the R&R Half. It may not be a great idea to do this a week before the Half Marathon. However, you could do a race in either late July or early August if you want to. The cool thing about BRRC is that races are $2 for members and $6 for non members. http://www.brrc.com/brrc2008/BRRC2008Events.html Here are the BRRC events throughout 2008. The races labeled as GPS are part of the Grand Prix Series, which is just a series of races where they keep standings, similar to what we tried to do. However, not all of their races are part of the GPS, only ten or so throughout the year.
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Last night I heard that Annapolis Striders races are much more reasonably priced than races down here -- but still not as cheap as Rick just quoted for BBRC!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

I've heard the same thing about the Striders. However, very few of these cheap BRRC races have more than 100 people. Most probably have fewer than 80. While I've never been to one of these races, I'm guessing there's not much in the way of amenities... no medals, no breakfast, no t-shirts. Probably just a bib and four pins. Additionally, I think most (if not all) of the SOMD races have some kind of charity attached to them. I think all of the money raised from the BRRC races goes to pay for the RRCA dues, permits to hold the races, as well as for the two or three cookout-type functions that happen during a year. Perry - Is there any way someone could subtley suggest to the CBRC that they could host small races for similar prices? Running is an expensive habit as it is without the extra $30 or so per race. Here's my quandry about becoming a member of BRRC... The annual membership is $20. Races are $2 per race for members, $6 for non-members. That means that, if I get the membership, I would have to do at least five of these BRRC races per year to get my money's worth. Of course, I suppose joining the club would be about more than just saving money.
                  Durrr

I have to say that when I run a race, I want there to be plenty of "bells and whistles" ... or "bananas and bagels," you might say. Bringing home race T-shirts and medals/trophies is an inherent aspect of why I enjoy the racing experience. And you might refute this as nonsense, but I think paying a pretty penny to register is --- at least on a subtle level --- a motivator for getting the most out of a race. I mean, if I'm only paying two bucks to run and I decide to throw the race halfway through, there wouldn't be any monetary waste to speak of.

Diesel Power

Reply deleted.
                        Reply created. DR, we need to have another update gathering. The last one derailed in favor of other activities, if I recall the time. It's possible to do races for cheap. I don't know how subsidized it was, but the Navy recreation place in Solomons used to host 5ks that cost in the neighborhood of $5 and included shirts and medals. They had a race series one summer and I imagine the charge covered exclusively the shirts and medals, which were able to be bought in bulk seeing as how it was a series and they all looked the same. The cost discrepancy between the available races down here versus up there is rather extreme. I'm pretty sure the $20 I could save on registration would make the driving cost almost equal out. My primary issue is that I don't really trust my car to go more than 30 miles and am pretty hesistant to venture outside of St. Mary's County with it. (FYI I am in the market for a different vehicle; I'm down to the last straw now that my driver's side door will not open from the outside OR the inside.)
                        Durrr

A website updating party is quite mandatory. I'll even do the running leg work and try to gather up most of the required data beforehand. Rick, real quick --- what were the stats (race name/location/finish time {net rather than gun}/overall placing out x number of runners/age group placing) of that 10k you ran ... assuming you're using that as your one solo race.

Diesel Power

I only ran four races that qualify for the spring schedule as it is, but here are the requested stats. MCVET 10K Baltimore, MD May 25, 2008 47:13 official net time Finished 43 out of 138 4th out of 16 age group I'm not sure what you guys want to cut-off time to be. We've been using 46:00 for a 5K, so that would translate in 1:32:00 for a 10k... I figure maybe 1:35:00 to account for the longer distance, but I'll go along with whatever. http://www.charmcityrun.com/eventResults.cfm?eventid=747
                              Joe -- Tried dismantling the door to maybe permanently deactivate the latch? Dont do this in the open, and don't keep any valuables in there afterward. But an option? Sorry to hear of your tribulations. My mom might be getting a new car, in which case I could put in a good word for you to have her car, but that won't be until 2010 when the new hybrid classes come out...

Diesel Power

DR - Here's something my brother just alerted me of... apparently, on Saturday 8/9, there is a 5K race being put on by the owner of the SOMD Blue Crabs. The race takes place at 8am around the stadium's general area (I have no clue where that is). I know we were talking about a long run that morning, but this could be an option as well. I'm not sure how psyched I am about it, though. I was planning on running the 5 mile BRRC race to kick off Half Marathon training on 8/17, and Val and I were planning on doing the Parkville High School 5K on 8/23 with several of her friends. Additionally, the Blue Crabs 5K cost a whopping $40!!! Of course, that does include entry to a picnic later in the evening and a ticket to the game that night. However, I was planning a dinner with my family and I'm pretty sure you said you would have obligations with your co-workers. If we were unable to go to the game, then we would then be paying $40 for just the race. Not even sure if they offer race medals, but they would likely be easy targets if they were offered. A $40 5K would likely scare off many people, especially with the Chaptico Classic looming on the horizon.