The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've been planning on running the 10K at Chaptico -- I think Crystal is still undecided which distance to go. I've only ever run a single 10K (Capitol, at 43:53) so it should be easier to improve that PR -- but my last 5K was a big improvement in my 5K (at Greenwell, 19:39) -- so whichever I run, I'll be stressed about trying to improve my time, so it will be fairly stressful for me I think. My training philosophy right now is just trying to get in a fair amt of mileage and long runs every other weekend (gonna try to do 20 tomorrow).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Rick: need I remind you about the time last November when Joe feasted upon deep-dish meat lover's pizza the night before a race and still won a bronze medal? Perry: I thought you were committed to the 10k, as I'm sure that's the race where most CBRC members will be found.

Diesel Power

Perhaps DR and Perry could come to some sort of arrangement, as you both have similar goals for the 5K race. You could push each other to keep pace to finish in roughly 19:30, and then both of your goals will be accomplished.
        Spoon

Rick - There's nothing wrong with eating pizza. Think about it - bread, tomatoes, and cheese. Carbs and some fat - it's great running fuel and I've heard the same in books and articles I've read in the past. Along those lines, there's nothing wrong with beer either. You just need to stay active and not gorge yourself.

Diesel Power

I know pizza can be alright in moderation, but take these numbers into account: Thin Crust: 110 calories Sauce: 10 Cheese: 60 Pepperoni: 50 According to Dominos.com, those are the calories I consumed in one-eighth of the pizza. Of course, I'm not saying it's bad to eat pizza. I'm not arguing that it's even bad to eat this way every once in a while. My concern is that I've talked about getting in the best shape of my life, and I ate the entire pizza on top of a week of ribs, and the wing feast from Friday night. That's not including the potato chips, popcorn, candy, etc. that I haven't previously discussed. I guess what I'm saying is that I found this to be much more acceptable over the past couple of months. However, now that I have a goal race eight weeks out, I need to get the terrible [evening] eating habits under control. Believe me, the evening after the race, I will probably eat up.
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

230 x 8 that's a fair amt of calories Smile I want to do the 10K, but if DR is only shooting for high 19s, and I think I can run that, I might do best trying to run with him Smile I dunno...

Durrr

I was curious to see whether or not Perry would beat my 41:45 10K PR time at Chaptico ...
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh ya, I forgot -- I have another incentive to do the 10K -- I think a colleague of mine is doing it, and I wanted to run it with him. But he's gotten too fast probably. If he goes out at 06:30 pace, and I go out at 06:50 pace, how long do you think I can keep him in sight?

Perry, how fast do you think you could do a 5k today? A 6:30 pace is on target for a 20:00 5k, which may or may not be too fast for a 10k. On the one hand, I think you might surprise yourself and keep 6:30 very easily. If you have done any speedwork lately where you routinely did miles in under 6:30, then it might not be bad going that pace. If you don't do it often, then pacing the race may be more important. You could run conservatively and pace the race, or you could be ambitious and push yourself from the start a bit. There's another method to "racing". When it comes to time, pacing it or not may alter your finish time. However, when it comes to placement, there are advantages to starting the race a little fast (just a little, though). If you find yourself in the upper tier of runners after the first couple of miles, then you are in a better position to challenge the upper tier for a strong finish. If you start out too easy, then you may take yourself out of the race and fall behind with no real incentive to push yourself. If you're running for time, then careful consideration of what shape you're in is important, but, if you're running for placement, then keeping an eye on your competition is important.
                      As for food, I've heard that Michael Phelps sometimes consumes approximately 10,000 calories in a day. He's probably eating food that digests more easily, but my point is enough exercise can make the calorie count not-so-important. I imagine the one thing you could do in your favor would be less of the meat and cheese.
                      Durrr

Joe's above post isn't very clear. Is he encouraging Perry to maintain a 6:30 pace in a 5k or a 10k? I think Perry would have no problem exceeding that pace in a 5k, as he's already run a 19:39 5k race, but a 6:30 10k pace would put him very close to breaking 40:00!
                          I'm saying he would destroy a 6:30 pace in a 5k and that he could possibly maintain a 6:30 pace in a 10k.
                            This race is in Hughesville on September 6th. http://hughesvillerunningclub.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/hughesville_registration_form.pdf Since it's one week after Chaptico, that may not be too appealing. It looks like some guy is trying to start a running club up there. Good luck to him. Perhaps we should start our own chapter of that Hash club stuff. They're a little extreme at times, but they're recognized. They have an upcoming race: http://www.whitehousehash.com/rdr/ The list of "Who's Coming" is not safe for work. I learned the hard way. I saw Perry making some posts on the CBRC site about a small triathlon sort of race on September 6th. I was a little intrigued by it. I'm trying to figure out what swimming 800m is like. I swam the other day for maybe 300m and I suspect I was rather slow. I wasn't tired, but it's not too terribly tiring when you're going slowly.
                            Durrr

Inappropriate for YOUR work. I find it astonishing that there are so many people out there with such bawdy senses of humor.

Diesel Power

Wow... according to the website, this race will feature, among other things: - Live broadcast by T-Bone and Heather - Moonbounce - McGruff the Crime Dog - SPECIAL GUESTS! Are T-Bone and Heather really still on the air? They suck.' Apparently this club is not competing with the CBRC: "A special *thanks* to Liza Recto and Vic Papagno of the Chesapeake Bay Running Club. Without their help we wouldn’t have been able to organize the run in the time frame we did."