The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

Diesel Power

Joe - The Renie Race at Goucher College will be held on 10/5 this year. That is the Sunday before the Half Marathon, so I'll likely be sitting that one out.
    Durrr

I was just reading about the history of the Hash House Harriers on Wikipedia, and it gave me an idea. What if we took the derelict concept of the League Cup and made it fun, essentially combining it with The Runnies to create an Extraordinary version of a Hash House Harrier race. Basically one person would act as a "hare," running ahead of every one else whilst leaving a "paper trail" and false clues (to throw people off track), ultimately leading everyone to a secret final destination where a frothy celebration would begin (with awards to be distributed as well). Believe it or not, that's exactly what the CBRC does at the end of each year!
      Durrr

http://www.alternatives4youth.org/Classic.html As always, pay special attention to the positions of the special race committee.
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think CBRC is doing finish line for the Hughesville race. Vic lives very close to the course, so he was excited by it Smile I don't know how hilly Chaptico is, but if I do 5K, I'd hope to come under 20m, but if I do 10K, I'll hope for 42m-45m, depending how hilly. (No, I've not been doing any mile work under 7min for a while.) Vic said he needs help for 5K finish, so I may well run the 5K, so I can help at the finish line. MWR (Morale, Welfare, and whatever, Navy & Marine org which runs facilities and events for families and so forth) puts on a base triathlon -- the first one I ever did, in June. Then they put on a relay triathlon, the one on Sep 6. I think they only advertise on base -- I only hear about it by hearsay. I do distance swimming at about 2min per hundred, so I'll guess I'd go 800m in about 16min, or maybe 15min? But, a lot of people swim more slowly than I do, I've observed. Just did a nice slow run with a relative -- abt 4mi in about 45min. 4 miles is more tiring when you're out in the sun for 45min doing it, I observe Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

Joe can better vouch for the 10K course, but the 5K course is a relatively flat out-and-back, for the most part. There is a moderate hill shortly before the one mile mark, but it's not as severe as (for instance) the hill leading up to the second mile mark at Hospice.
              Chaptico only has one real hill near the start. If you do the 10k, I think you get another incline or two, but that's it. The reason Chaptico can very often be brutal is because of the heat and humidity alone. At last year's Chaptico Classic, Emily got hoodwinked into helping at the finish line when she was reading a book nearby! Last year, I noticed more than one race where they had to grab bystanders to pull tags. They'd greatly appreciate it, I'm sure. I'm nearly set on doing the 10k. I would use it as a good mileage run. The 5k racers don't get their awards until the 10k racers finish anyway, so it sure beats standing around and waiting! Wink
              Durrr

Joe, I'm all but certain that you came to the race alone last year --- and that Emily must have been pressed into service back in 2006 rather than 2007 (or maybe you're getting it all mixed up with what happened at the St. Mary's City Thanksgiving race last November). Why else would no pictures have been taken at last year's Chaptico Classic? And as I recall, you'd had a very late night with the Yerby/Allhouses prior to the race, which would explain why you showed up just in time to catch the tail end of our cool down and why Emily was surely at home resting. If Perry is set on doing the 5k and Joe the 10k, then I'm almost tempted to run the 10k just to ensure that no one wins first in the age group by default of being the only person in the age group! Do you think you can match the 54:04 Chaptico 10k time you ran in '06?
                Durrr

... because that was also the case last year: Men 20 to 29 Place Name City Age Overall Time Pace 1 Michael Leonard Avenue MD 28 31 1:03:17 10:12/M And nobody else!

Diesel Power

DR – You had previously been set on running the 5K for the sake of breaking 20:00 at Chaptico! Don’t you think that would be more of a possibility if Perry was running the race with you? You both have similar goals for the race, why not pace/push each other?
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Vic just emailed me to tell me to go ahead and do the 10K, that he is confident he can find 5K finish help.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Yeah, I thought you'd definitely want to do the longer distance --- especially since you have a marathon coming up in less than two months!
                        Spoon

Sorry to be random in my responses... MWR = Morale, Welfare and Recreation The MCM is just over two months from now - 26 Oct, if I'm not mistaken... Just signed up for a marathon trail run to prepare for the MCM as I believe you should run the distance before running a marathon...at least if it's not your first one. It'll be 3 weeks before the MCM so should be the perfect point to run my last super long run. It's down in N. Carolina and so is roughly 2 hours from here... Am a little worried about running a 26.2 mile XC race tho...
                          Durrr

I highly recommend that you not race the XC marathon ... race, but rather take it very slowly. This won't be your first marathon, true, but it will be your first in eight years!
                            Spoon

It's a training run...it's difficult to stay motivated running 20+ mile long runs so this is just a way to help myself do it. Plus it sounds like a really need little run...
                              Durrr

What is your goal for THIS Sunday? Will you penetrate the 1:30:00 mark?