The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

Tuesday was the first time I'd done 1600 repeats since late September. My previous 3 X 1600 workout went 6:10, 6:16, 5:43, so I guess I just didn't realize how much faster I've gotten since then. But it's always more satisfying to underestimate your abilities than to overestimate them! Despite my shot knees, last night I went on a five-mile maintenance run around the neighborhood. I didn't get started until 5:25 p.m., so it was already dark --- and COLD (in the 30s!). Tonight I intend to do seven miles with a few short tempo speed bursts sprinkled throughout.
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Today I managed 2x1600. I ran about 1.8mi warmup. Then I ran a 1600 at 5:51 (5:44). Rested. Second lap at 6:01 (5:55). Too tired to try a third. Ran a half warmdown, then was in a hurry to get to car, and then home, to get warm. I knew the first mile was going a tad fast, as I was watching pace, but it felt good, and it was evenly fast -- no blistering opening quarters Smile First time is elapsed time for four laps going outside the shotput pit; parenthetical time is my Garmin watch time on the mile (the watch marked a mile several yards before the end of the fourth lap). I'm surprised it differed. This suggests my watch is about 1.5% short. One of these days I'm going to run a mile or two on Patuxent High Track, and see how it compares to that.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Perhaps your watch was registering standard English miles and not metric 1600s, which is what the SMCM track is meant to be. The Ryken track is actually an old school non-metric track --- it's 440 yards around rather than 400 meters, making it roughly 20 meters longer than the SMCM track. Still, those were well-paced splits you ran. I had some marvelously mighty mileage this past week. After the previously described 14-mile run on Sunday and the sensational 3 X 1600 workout on Tuesday, I ran 5 not-so-mild maintenance miles on Wednesday, 7 miles with 7 hard strides interspersed throughout on Thursday, and then 10 terrific miles in 1:21:## yesterday, thus accumulating 42 miles between Sunday and Saturday. My marathon training plan calls for averaging 50 miles a week by the end of December, so I think I'm right on track. However, this week --- a race week --- will probably tally no more than 20-25 miles. And I might just take the following week OFF (I could probably use a week to fatten up a bit, as I registered 131 on the scale yesterday after the run). But, considering that I'll have almost two weeks off from work at the end of the month, there'll be plenty of time for mileage catch-up. As for Joe ... the run we did at SMCM on Tuesday is very likely the one and only run he's done since the Thanksgiving 5k over two weeks ago! Running once every 10 days or so does NOT suffice. Ah, and something that should be of great interest to Ryken alumni. Guess who left a note under the wiper blades of Emily's car when she and Joe were Christmas shopping in Fredericksburg, VA, on Friday? I'll give you a hint: one of us lovingly referred to him as "Big Guy."
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I considered the difference between 1600 & mile, but it is the other way -- a mile should be 9m longer than a 1600m track. My watch is registering the mile before the 1600m (fourth lap). Either my watch is off, or that track is long. It seems unlikely that the track is off, even though it is an odd track (with pole vault pit in the cinder part). I want to verify against a normal track -- eg, Patuxent High -- but I fear I'll discover my watch is off. Today I went out to try to see if I could run 8min/mi for distance runs. I ran 4mi in 30min, but then stopped to get my coat where I'd left it, and then helped work at theater, and caught a ride home later (raining, so unwilling to run carrying coat). Result -- I think 8min/mi pace is tough for me to run for distance runs, but I might try to slowly build up how far I can go at 8min/mi, at some point. I tried recording my recent workouts on the My Workouts section here on this website -- happily you can leave most of the boxes empty and just record what you want to. I discovered the existence of RRCA (Road Runner's Club of America) when someone forwarded one of their newsletters, and I browsed some back issues -- the Sep 2006 and several following ones have some articles on training that I printed out to read later. http://www.rrca.org/resources/footnotes/ One article on immediate post-race recovery advised against stretching directly after a race, saying there is a risk of injury from stretching after a race -- I forget why. It advised consuming carbs and proteins. Another article (not on races, just long distance running) advised consuming enough liquid to end run at same weight as start (I'm not doing that, as I'm always at least several pounds lighter after distance run), and to consume sodium to balance sweat loss -- I forget the grams of sodium they advised per 8oz of water, but they said energy drinks are better than water b/c they include sodium. One of the training articles advised only going up 5% mileage a week. I've not done any 10+ mile runs in at least a month, and I was doing them kind of haphazardly -- not making any effort to limit mileage change from one week to the next -- so I'm considering starting to keep track, to limit total mileage increase per week, and to limit distance mileage increase per week, to hopefully help reduce risk of injury from overstress (I keep reading that going up too fast dramatically increases risk of injury). I think 50mi/week sounds like a big time investment -- a colleague of mine was running 50mi/week b/c his daughter had to run that for her college cross country summer schedule. They used a fairly simple system -- 5mi x 5days, plus one 10mi plus one 15mi.

Diesel Power

Does this mean Coach Einboden's in the general area?
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Rick, re: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486 Good idea: I forgot about those. This summer I found that link, and started doing those everyday, until I read an article saying muscles should be given 48hrs recovery. Then I kind of forgot about them. I liked those, they were nice and easy, and I should start them again, on alternate days.

Durrr

Perry: I guess the only solution will be to break out a meter stick and measure the SMCM track meter by meter to prove or disprove its accuracy. But now that I think about it, that track is rather old (the lines are barely visible anymore), so could it possibly an English track like Ryken's? I must say that I've noticed a scarce amount of deviation between the splits I run on either track. As for the other training issues, I'd say that's all sound advice. But that college cross country 50-mile week plan calls for running 7 days a week! I need at least one (preferably two) days a week off or my legs will crumble. Rick: Einboden's message was very vague. It said he's "back in the area," but was unclear whether that area is Virginia or Maryland. It did, however, include an e-mail address. I think Joe should e-mail him the results of the 2007 Step-By-Step 5k.
                  With the exception of some detriment to my joints or bones, I've found that running more and consistently has always been the way to avoid injury. Whenever I take a day off, I always feel awkward the next day in ways the emphasize muscle and join pain. Unless something really bothers me, I've always found it best to run as often as possible. I'll let you know how that goes for me when I start running more consistently...
                  Durrr

When is "when"??

Diesel Power

Let us know if you have any contact with him, I'd be interested to know how he's doing.
                      Durrr

I'll leave work a tad early tomorrow (today --- Tuesday --- if you're reading this at work) so that I can get to Ab Crest by 4:45 (or even earlier if you can get off sooner this time). I'd like to do 4 X 200 + 1 X 400 + 4 X 200, mostly connected by recovery jogs. Perry? Tonight may have been one of the windiest runs I've dared since March of '98. I only did an unspectacular five miles, but that was enough. The winds howled, wailed, moaned and groaned, causing the wildly waving trees to creak and squeak violently whilst leaves scraped and scuttled by in horizontal avalanches. Furthermore, the wind chill was about 31 degrees and it was damn dark. "Get used to it!" I told myself, envisioning the long winter of brutal marathon training that lies ahead.
                        Durrr

Last night's workout went perfectly according to plan. But, as Joe and Perry can certainly attest, the cold was bitter and biting! And it got dark much quicker than we could run our 1.5-mile warm up around campus. My 4 X 200 + 1 X 400 + 4 X 200 splits went as follows: 34; 36; 35; 34; 1:14; 3(5-6?); 38; 36; 32. I did recovery 200s between the sprint 200s, but paused before and after the 400. I had hoped that this would be one workout which we could all perform in unison, but considering that this was Joe's first run since the previous track workout a week prior (which had been his first run since the Thanksgiving 5k 10 days before then), he couldn't exactly run abreast. And although Perry pushed me along determinedly for the first 200 set and the 400, he dodged out of the second set, consenting to jog along with Joe --- until the time came for the final 200. I was cramping up something awful in my shoulder socket and side, but we launched into a fierce race nonetheless. With almost no power left in my legs, I relied on sheer force of will alone to push me along. Being fresher from jogging, Perry had the advantage, and after a race of hoof-pounding intensity he won by a stride length. Joe had already absconded from the track to sit in his Explorer by then, and I'm afraid we kept him waiting a good while longer with our six-lap cool down. Adding it all up, I did an even five miles yesterday --- the final speed workout of 2007.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I didn't get around to running Thu, so I ran tonight -- knew I was moving fast but not exactly how fast. After I got back, looked at my splits -- 7:43 for first mile, 7:00 for second mile (only ran 2.25mi). I was working on the second one, but happily I feel like I wasn't working as hard on it as I should be in a race, so it makes me feel more confident that I can hold a pace under 7 for a race. I dunno if the night before Jingle Bell was the optimal time for this test however. Smile

Durrr

Well, your performance today was certainly optimal, as were the performances of Crystal, Alden, and myself (not meaning to sound like a braggart). Tomorrow I hope to write a more vivid race report.
                              Durrr

I decided I'd take a little bit of time off from running after Jingle Bell (little bit meaning maybe five days), what having been training hardcore non-stop since mid-August. But I still need exercise, and with the day off from work yesterday, I decided to do some cross training --- bicycling! The tires felt like they needed some air, but I couldn't find a pump anywhere, so I just rolled with it. Now, transversing across flat distances was no sweat, and riding downhill was literally effortless (I was going well over 20 mph at some points), but getting that bike UPhill --- even a gradual incline --- was just as hard as doing Mt. Everest sprints at Ryken. Apparently cycling uses leg muscles not associated with running, and on me those muscles are weak. Nonetheless, I still did eight miles in roughly forty-five minutes, and it was a darn good workout. Over the course of my marathon training, I think I'll have a bike day every couple of weeks.