The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

A 6-minute drive? I feel like I should be able to run there in 6 minutes! Well, maybe it's just a bit farther than that.

I should be able to make the Saturday run.

Phil, So Perry and I will see you Saturday morning at 9am at the pavilion/gazebo.  I'm hoping to run 16 or more miles - will depend on hip and knee (they both got very sore last time I ran 16).

DR, Hope you are on the recovery upswing!

Joe, Joe? Joe?  You there?

:-)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Phil, Crystal's run segments are up -- presumably your first 13.17mi should be pretty much the same, in 2:01:09, average 9:12.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

I am starting to wonder if Joe has retired from running.

Durrr

Well, my schedule for the next week and a half is thoroughly confusing, so I don't know when I'll be running. I'm really excited about running these days, too, so it's disappointing. Things should at least normalize a bit in April.

Surely Joe's sentiments haven't changed so soon. Meanwhile I'm hoping that chronic PTT symptoms (five weeks later and my left ankle/foot is still swollen!) don't make me eventually throw in the towel out of frustration.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm leading the week in both mileage AND pace. Course some of you all doing pitifully so far this week. DR is out there with a swollen ankle making you look bad.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

I don't entirely understand DR's running schedule.   Why schedule a 5 am run when you can try running the same run the evening before or after.   When he was logging 100 miles a week I understood the need for doubles and hence really early morning runs, but its harder to understand running at 5 am and making yourself tired for the day when you didn't run the day before on Sunday when you had the day off.

Durrr

It's a matter of choosing between a short term gain for long term pain or a short term pain for a long term gain. This will surely change some after I move (when my daily, round-trip commute will be reduced from 50 miles to 2-4 miles), but I rather loathe having to run after work --- though of course I also loathe having to get up shortly after 4 a.m. to run before work. Thus, when I'm hitting the snooze button at 4 a.m., there's always an enormous temptation to postpone the run to the evening in favor of stealing a couple more hours of sleep. But what usually gets me up anyway (though there have certainly been many mornings in which I've succumbed) is thinking, "Imagine how grateful I'll be when driving home from work that the run was taken care of 11 hours ago" (obviously this doesn't apply to double days). And indeed, the moment I finish running around 6 a.m. I forget tiredness and celebrate with a big breakfast. Though it also has much to do with having the time freedom to take care of shopping/errands business after work (as was the case yesterday afternoon), and being able to relax/unwind after arriving home is something I cherish.

By the way, Phil, would you have felt wary running around the St. Mary's Landing apartment buildings in the dark of 5 a.m. (or 5 p.m. during the winter months)? There Great Mills Rd strip isn't exactly crime free, and you never know what shady characters might be lurking about. There are the treadmills in the fitness center, yes, but my preference would always be to run just straight out the doors (for my apartment-to-be, there's an outer door and vestibule/hallway that I'll be sharing with the apartment upstairs).

philibusters

Great Mills Road can be a little shady.  Its not the ghetto but I would not run there before or after dark.   I usually ran at Joe's apartment complex in the morning.

You may be more of a morning person than me.  Waking up up 4 with 5 hours of sleep sounds way worse than slogging out a hour run after work at night even when I am tired from work, but I am not a true morning person (nor am I am a true night person, I am somewhere in between).

Durrr

I wonder how Joe would feel about 5 a.m. wake up calls to go running around Ab Crest (I know Phil always waited until after 6 a.m.). Though apparently the Rapps are now accustomed to runs begun at 3:17 a.m.

Oh, and I would probably never run on Great Mills Rd itself, no matter the time of day. But I'm wondering if it would still be sketchy to run short loops through the parking lots and drives of the apartment buildings themselves before light/after dark.

I've been busy the last several weekends. I'm not even sure the busy-ness will abate soon. I have gotten in some running, though. I just haven't bothered to upload any of the runs. The runs are hardly workouts most of the time, so I don't feel like I'm losing much if I wait and just do a big data dump from my watch in the future. The mileage totals on my shoes won't be accurate, but I can take a guess at what % would have been done on each.

I ran at work today during lunch. I just moved into a different building (trailer) this week that has a shower. Only a few of us are in the building, so it's much more convenient for running than any setup I've had previously. I also plan to do a few easy miles at the college tonight. I think I've put on a few pounds and my foot isn't 100% healed, but I still like to run. It's been about every other day, which isn't enough to really improve, but my cardiovascular system seems to handle doing a few miles without much trouble.

I like the idea of running in the morning with DR, but we'll probably need to compromise on a start time and pace. I prefer starting at 6am. I could see pushing that up to 5:30am, but any earlier and I'm going to have too much time between the run and work starting, which I will interpret as lost time I could have spent sleeping. I'd like it if we could get a schedule like M/W/F or T/Th. I typically wouldn't run so early on my Friday off, though, due to staying up late on Thursdays, which meant Phil and I wouldn't meet.

I'm unable to run much faster than an 8:30 pace without getting nervous about my foot right now, so it might be a while before I could join you for an actual workout. Easy running is fine for a few miles, though.

I cannot fully grasp from Perry's log how I would have not seen you all at the track yesterday. You all must have run away from the track and then back to the track during the part when I was there. I did see Larry W, though.

Durrr

I like the idea of Monday and Wednesday morning runs, as those are most typically easy, early morning mileage days for me. As far as timing goes, as of now (or beginning next week, rather), I would probably need to have an Abberly Crest run wrapped up by 6:30 a.m., maybe 6:45. This would of course mean that it wouldn't be necessary to start that much earlier than 6 a.m. However, in the near future I may seek to finally switch to a CWS schedule, with 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. being my likely new work hours. In that case I'd still need to have runs completed by shortly after 6 a.m. (as I do now), despite the short commute. Hmm, would it be weird if I showed up at the Abberly Crest parking lot around 5 a.m. and just started running on my own while periodically passing by your apartment to see if you're ready yet? That way, if I wanted to, say, have a 10-mile morning the window of 4:55 a.m. - 6:20 a.m., I could run maybe 7 miles solo before you come down to join me for the final 3. Any chance we could get Ryan out there too? (Though I should note that I don't have much pace patience for anything over 9:00/mi.)

Durrr

I cannot fully grasp from Perry's log how I would have not seen you all at the track yesterday. You all must have run away from the track and then back to the track during the part when I was there. I did see Larry W, though.

Crystal's logging indicates that it was Patuxent, so Perry's trail entry must've been mislabled as SMC.

I'm amenable to the 6am start time and you're also welcome to start without me on days where you plan to run longer. I believe my loop is 1.4 miles and a mixture of primarily road and some sidewalk the way that I do it. You may encounter a car parking or backing up in the road and a person walking their dog on the sidewalk. It's rarely a nuisance, but on days you want to do 10 miles or go fast it may annoy you.

Willows Road is okay for running. The road from start to finish is over 2 miles and has a shoulder for most of it. It can get a little busy in the morning, but before 7:00am it's not bad. On days where you wish to run 10 miles you may want to run there, park on Route 5 to run there, or run from Food Lion on Route 249. Chancellor's Run Park is an option if the gate is open that early in the morning, but you'll just be doing a loop there, as well. Lancaster Park's paved route is a pretty good option, too, but for some reason it strikes me as no safer than your neighborhood, so probably not an option you want to entertain.