The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

Damn, Phil doubled up on me and Joe in mileage today. That is, he ran as much as Joe and I did combined!

Durrr

It was unfortunate that I cancelled on Joe this morning, as the rain held off, and it would've actually been cool and pleasant out for running. I did, however, use this morning as an opportunity to finally find the fitness center (after first barging into the laundry facility and then the 24-hour business center). Sure enough, it was dark and deserted at 5 a.m. --- though some guy did show up for about 20-30 minutes for an elliptical/treadmill combo morning routine. Anyway, this was probably my first time on a treadmill since 2006, and what the machine called an 8:34/mi pace initially felt shockingly intense. It just took me some time to adjust, however, and by mile 5 I was running just fine with the speed clicked up over 7.5 mph (i.e., sub-8:00/mi). And treadmill running was indeed easier on my ankle than pavement pounding has been (I didn't bother wearing the brace).

I had plenty of time to spare afterward, so I did something else that I haven't done since about 2006 --- I used a weight machine! Just the lat pull down so as to simulate the pull up effect (twice underhanded to work biceps and twice overhanded to work back/shoulders). I'm sure I'll get more daring about what machines I use as time goes on.

philibusters

I just compared my mileage in April of last year to this year and I was doing better last year.  That said April and early May were kind of my peak training months of 2012 so its not a huge issue.

I let my weight get up a little bit and I am trying to get that back down.  I have two races in June.  An 8K in Williamsburg that should be competitive (like 2 or 3 thousand people run it) and 3 short segments in the Ragnar Relay the following weekend (two 6 miles segments and one 4 mile segment).  Thta said the Ragnar Relay segments are our tough trail in the mountains so even though it will be race like effort, I have a feeling my pace will be something like 10 minutes per mile so in terms of time running it will be more like one 6 mile segment and two 9 mile segments.

Durrr

It sounds like, right now, you're the most race-focused out of all of us.

I'm very race focused... on the Boston Marathon... that just ended. I followed it online as I was able. Americans finished 4th for both the men and women.

The weather looks pretty mild. Perhaps I will run before lunch is over.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just compared my mileage in April of last year to this year and I was doing better last year.  That said April and early May were kind of my peak training months of 2012 so its not a huge issue.

You were probably hitting high mileage for ES6 a year ago.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

I hope to see Joe down in the Ab Crest parking lot at 5:30 a.m. tomorrow.

Sure thing.

I'll likely get to the college between 5:15-5:30 to start running for anyone interested. Due to plans for the first part of Saturday I don't know that I'll make any runs that day, though.

Durrr

By first part of the day are you referring to the middle of the day? I'm hoping to get a long run going by no later than 8 a.m. The design I have in mind is 8 miles out and back on Rt. 5 (out south, back north) starting/ending at the HSMC VS. Sub-7:30/mi desired average pace so that the run will take less than 2 hours.

I'm just hoping to be in bed by 8am, so a morning run won't work for me!

Durrr

Goodness! I hope you'll get some rest before noon.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I clicked on the Reports section to see DR's training, as I am wont to do, and it looked like he'd probably run a warm-up, some intervals, and a warm-down. I was about to click into the details, as that was roughly what I did tonight, when I realized that my clicking was not in full-form.

I was looking at my own summary page....

I doubt that I would have been able to get through 5x800 at 2:30-2:40 pace tonight in any case, but I might have gotten closer if you'd been running that pace in 1600s in Lancaster tonight, DR.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.