The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

Perry, I'm glad to hear that you're on board for the marathon. If you're looking for a good long run this weekend, I'll be returning to Greenwell on Saturday for a 30k (18.75 miles). Those Yasso 800s seem very much in sync with my 400s. My average interval time last night was one minute and forty-two seconds, and I hope to run the first half of the marathon in one hour and forty-two minutes. So, if I do the Yasso 800s workout, I'll try to hit them all around three minutes and twenty-seven seconds, as my marathon goal time is three hours and twenty-seven minutes (or let's just say sub-3:30). And although I never walk during a long run, I usually stop at least twice to go to the bathroom/take some water. During this past Saturday's run, for instance, I came to a dead stop at mile 16, finished off my water jug, psyched myself up for the final 1.5, and then got it all over with.
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You running c. 8min/mile, or something slower -- I thought you said earlier you were going to slow your long runs down? It'd be fun to join you for it -- I can join for every other loop, and then in-between, try the run/walk combination.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

I'm guessing that 8:15 will probably be my average pace. This run will require a great deal of mental discipline because, as opposed to an out-and-back run where (after the U-turn) you have no choice but to keep going until the end, I'll have to repeat the same course six times. That means there'll be the temptation to quit five times. But, by the time I reach my previous long run distance of 17.5 miles, I'll already by halfway through the final 5k and in the home stretch. The grass will certainly be a great break for my feet.

Diesel Power

I've been taking several steps recently to avoid further injury, especially to my knees. I'm doing a no-weight strengthening routine for my quads that is supposed to derail symptoms of Runner's Knee (successful, so far). The only problem is the routine takes about 20-30 minutes per leg, and I do it twice a week per leg. I'm also trying to do an ice bath every day for 15-20 minutes, regardless of whether or not I run. Finally, I shelled out 30 bucks for new inserts for my shoes that, so far, have alleviated the pain in my right foot. All of that doesn't include the fact that I've been cycling Ibuprofen on for ten days, off for a week. I ran for the first time in a week this past Tuesday. I only did 20 minutes, but that was by design. Unfortunately, I'm reseting the training program I had started in mid December. The only positive thing that has happened recently is another resurgence in my running enthusiasm. This came after a couple of my co-workers (who are taking advantage of the free company personal trainer) decided to follow my lead and throw their names in the hat for the Saint Patrick's 5K in mid March. I don't think either has a chance at beating me, but I need to be sure about that. That's not to say I hope they do poorly... in fact, I've turned them both on to the Couch to 5K program, citing the help it gave me back in 2006. I guess I'd rather crush them while they're in good shape.
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How's the no-weight strengthening program work?

Diesel Power

They're just various quad exercises aimed at strengthening tendons and such. I'll try to find a link later on, it's not too exciting.
              Durrr

Is that St. Patrick's 5k a regular public race or something just for your company (like the Dunder Mifflin Fun Run to raise awareness for rabies)? I'm just curious and I don't have any intentions of running it, as it will probably be just a few days after the marathon.

Diesel Power

It's a very public run... probably about 3000-4000.

Diesel Power

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise2/runners_knee_rehabilitation_exer.htm I don't really do #6. That's pretty much covered in the weight room, anyways.
                    Durrr

Here are the vital stats of yesterday's run (which happened to be the longest run of my life!). 1/12/08- 18.75 miles (30 kilometers) in 02:27:15. Average pace: 7:51/mi. Calories burned: 3,641. I executed those 18.75 miles by running the Greenwell Three Oaks 5k course six consecutive times. I'd intended to keep a pace over 8:00/mi, but somehow the soft, earthy and grassy turf had me moving swiftly. I ran the first of three 10ks in 49:10, and my half marathon time was 1:42:something. Despite the grass, it was still rough on my knees, though. Although I encountered numerous horseback riders, hikers, and even bicyclists on the trails (for once it was a nice sunny day), I was running solo --- until, just when I was swinging by the parking lot en route to hitting 20 kilometers, I caught sight of Perry and Crystal. After breaking briefly to greet them, we all took up running together for about half a mile before they began their first one-minute walking interval. However, they eventually tired of that tedious walk/run business and stuck with running. They also eschewed following the course exactly, which led to us passing each other face-to-face a couple times. But when I ran into them again around the two-mile point of the course during my sixth and final 5k, they changed direction and followed me as "pace bunnies." For a fast finish, we brought the pace down to the 7:20s for the final 1.5 miles. Crystal kept up for a good while, but as we were now running at her 5k race pace (a very respectable, sub-24 pace at that), she decided to hang back while Perry and I pushed it all the way to the end. Just a quarter mile short of 19, and just 7.5 miles shy of a full marathon. As this was the fifth consecutive Saturday in which I completed a two hour plus long run, I've decided to try some early stage tapering and not do one next weekend. In fact, I'm thinking that from here on I'll just do one every other weekend. So it would go taper next weekend, run 20 miles the next, taper the next, run 22 miles the next, taper the next, run 24 miles the next, taper the next, and run 26.2 miles the next (the actual marathon). On those taper weekends I could either do a lot of cross training or just do a mini-long run (8-12 miles). Granted that plan isn't based on anything I've read --- it just seems logical and natural to me. I just know that if I keep tackling mammoth runs like this every weekend my knees will be brittle beyond belief by the time the marathon arrives. Thoughts?
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My run/walk plan that I drew up was to do long runs every other weekend, like so: 14, 10, 17, 10, 20, 10. I don't know where I got the idea to go long every other weekend; I probably read it somewhere. But, ya, that stopping to walk every 4min is a pain; we both disliked it. So I'm abandoning it I think. Sat was Crystal's longest run in a month, and the only time she has ever gone fast after running over 4 miles. BTW, we ran the loop backwards b/c I figured we'd get to wave to you more often that way, and plus it was a change - I've seen that loop forwards plenty of times, nice to see it a different direction. Today I went long (14.5mi) -- 3mi warmup (9:45 pace), 8mi at 8:41 pace (which was hard for the first couple miles, but then my splits were faster nearer the end, altho I felt slower -- I guess I go faster when I'm warmed up), then slowed for 3mi at 9:20 pace, then half mile warmdown at 9:45 pace. My ankles hurt now.

Diesel Power

I've always read that you can get away with dropping back mileage only every fourth week... however, I'm not sure how that applies to long runs of over 20 miles. Your plans sound good, though.
                          Durrr

By this plan weekly mileage wouldn't really decrease because, without the 20 miles + long run, I'd be able to work more distance into my other runs throughout the week.l
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

DR started with a stronger base than I, and more time, so I think I decided to cut back every other week on the long run as a tradeoff to how I have not very much time and I'm shooting up in both weekly mileage and long run distance quickly.

Durrr

I bailed out of work early again yesterday and headed over to Ryken. It was bitter cold --- low 30s with a biting wind chill. The grass was even covered by a thin layer of crunchy snow. Not bringing gloves was a big mistake, and I was using my sweatshirt sleeve as hankie even before I started running. I was painfully shaking and shivering during the first 10 minutes of the 1.5-mile warm up around campus, but afterwards I actually felt pumped up and virtually impervious to the cold. Thus I headed over to the track starting line for the workout --- 10 X 400. Like last week, my goal was to run them all 1:40-1:45. Last week's workout, however, must have instilled me with quicker pacing, because I kept having to bring myself down to a jog at the end of the laps to avoid finishing sub-1:40. Yet on the ninth 400, I overcompensated and ran 1:46! So, with some energy saved up, I decided to go fast on the 10th and final 400 and pulled off a 1:27. That probably wasn't necessary. I finished with a slow, six-lap cool down around the track, amassing 5.5 miles for the day. My knees didn't feel very good at all on the drive home, but now they're fine.