The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

I'm not sure which is slower-- the speed this site is running at or me. Regardless, I'm exercising. I'm also greatly looking forward to the marathon next month. I will be getting an application to Perry, too, so that perhaps this race can be counted for the League!
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Heh, if it makes you feel any better, we skipped Sat (I didn't get back from the swim video stuff til after 2PM anyway), and Sun I went out in the morning, but only managed 10mi around 9mi pace, and was quite tired by that. I had intended to go somewhere between 11 and 14. Sun night I went back out to get 4 more, to make up for such a short "long run", plus b/c my week total was low. Can you drop me an email about where/when you're thinking of going long this coming weekend, so we or I can think about going along for part of it? Also, I'm gonna see if we can get Joe to join us at some point -- off to email him...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Once again I intend to start by the Callaway Food Lion shortly after 12 p.m. this Saturday. What is a swim video, by the way? Joe: will you be present at the marathon to cheer us on, or was that your subtle way of announcing that you will in fact be competing in the event? Rick: it's been awhile since we've heard from you on here. How's training for the St. Patrick's Day 5k going?
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Actually it was more of a swim clinic -- a local coach volunteered to give interested members of the new tri group pointers. They also shot video to look at, but the main thing was her looking at our strokes and giving us suggestions. I just joined a marathon relay race for Sun, so I'm not going to join you on Sat after all -- I'll rest Sat. I've not run any races over 5K, so this should be interesting -- I'll probably get the 7mi (short) leg of the three legs. I'm not sure what to do for pace -- I'm thinking I'll try going out at 7:30 for the first couple miles and see how that feels, and adjust depending on how I feel.

Durrr

Where is that relay race being held? Not in Southern Maryland, I'm guessing. But I like the idea of breaking it into three segments rather than just two.

Diesel Power

I haven't posted at all recently because my training hasn't been that exciting. Honestly, there's only so much that can be said about 3-5 mile runs, strides, and speed hills. I'll try to come up with something inspiring sooner or later.
              Durrr

Indeed, with the exception of my long runs and 400/800 workouts, my training has also be rather unremarkable. Like last night when I did three mild maintenance miles at a 9:11 pace.
                Durrr

I've already regaled almost everyone who might read this with details of my run yesterday (and both Joe and Perry were intermittently a part of it), but here are the stats: 22.50 miles in 3:23:28 = average pace of 9:03/mi. Time at 11.25-mile mark: (approx) 1:46:##. Negative split margin: (approx) 9:##. This was the first long run in which I employed walking interludes. With each lasting roughly 50 yards, I took them at miles 16.2, 17.9, 20, and 21.5. I never stopped my watch, and even with those four marching breaks I still managed to achieve the above mentioned negative splitage (with Joe we'd started slow --- 10:00/mi + pace --- and after my final walking interlude I was averaging sub-8:00). The taper phase now begins, with the marathon just three weeks away. Track on Tuesday?
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'd like to do track on Tuesday, but I've gone 7+miles each day for the last six, to finally get myself a week with over 50miles -- 12 yesterday at Piney Point, 6 this morning with some of the tri ppl, then a swim workout this afternoon with some tri ppl followed by 3 more miles just after the swim. So I didn't do any long run this week, but I got my top mileage in. I'll take tomorrow entirely off. If I feel well on Tuesday, I'll be up for track. I've put my knee into a bucket of cold water several times -- as an experiment since DR & Rick both have iced with good results apparently.

Spoon

Walking interludes are a terrible idea unless you plan on doing the same in the marathon. When I was training years ago, I did the same thing thing when I got to my 20+ mile long runs. I ended up with terrible leg cramping during the marathon because I never intended to walk during the actual race. Just be cautious with that...
                      Durrr

I do plan to take several brief walking interludes during the second half of the actual marathon. I know people will pass me when I do, but I've got a feeling that I'll be catching back up to them later down the road!
                        Durrr

Yesterday was a mammoth workout --- and I didn't do it alone. Joe, Perry, and Crystal were all present, and after a very scenic 1.5-mile warm up around campus we hit the track. The workout was 8 X 800, meaning a total of 16 laps (separated by 6 brief breaks) or 4 miles of 800s. While Joe did his own noble thing, Perry and I did all eight. As far as intervals 1-7 go, my fastest time was 3:22 and my slowest was 3:26. Perry was never more than a few steps behind me, and Crystal kept right up with us for two or three of them. Then, for the eighth and final eight-hundred --- after everyone but Perry and I had left --- we increased our pace to get it over with and finished in 3:03. The winds had been absolutely savage, and they were only intensifying (seriously, a steady 20-30 mph stream blasted right into our face every time we made the second track turn, and occasionally we were struck by gusts of far greater power). Thus we quickly agreed to do an abbreviated cool down of merely two laps. Nonetheless it gave us six solid miles for the day.

Diesel Power

Goucher College Track, 6:30 - 7:30 pm Wind chill was in the low-to-mid 20s… very windy at times, 20-25 mph I arrived to find about 20 people doing ladder drills on the track, part of a Charm City Run training program. Fortunately, it turns out most of them were well versed in track etiquette... they knew to move out of Lane 1 as someone was coming to pass. Warm up and cool down were not on the track, but it was too dark to run the trails. Instead, I tried to run on the grassy areas around campus. Half mile at 9:00 pace in between the intervals. I ran the two 1200s much faster than I had intended. I chalked this up to the fact that this was my first track workout of 2008, as well as the training happening all around me. The goal of running these long interval workouts in the seven-week Phase II is to do them at 10K pace (roughly anaerobic threshold pace). Given the lack of serious training in the past couple of months, I'd put that at about 48:00 - 49:00 (7:45 - 7:55). Therefore, these should have been closer to 5:45 - 5:55 1200s. The actual splits were 5:14 (7:01 pace) and 5:25 (7:16 pace), which would be okay if I could run a 10K in 44:19. This is slightly quicker than what I would have aimed to run if this were a VO2 max workout. Those workouts will come in a couple of months, when I get into the heart of 10k training.
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

re: 800s I was tired that evening and this morning. Those were at the pace at which I ran my last 5K, so I'm disappointed to be so tired by them -- seems like doing 800 intervals should be easier than racing at the same pace. Oh well. They were fun in any case. re: ladder drill What is a ladder drill? I googled and found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDnobVe1NLE which shows a quarterback sidestepping through an actual ladder on the ground. Doesn't look like a track workout, and plus I can't see them moving the ladder out of lane one every time you came by Smile Crystal and I are running a regular slow run this afternoon -- potentially around 4:30PM -- in our neighborhood area if anyone wants to join us.

Diesel Power

A ladder drill is something to the effect of running intervals of staggered distances... for instance, 200-recovery-400-recovery-800-recovery-1600. A pyramid workout would include coming back down to shorter distances.