The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

Durrr

If I can make it to mile 2 under 11:00 and then not have to deal with heinous headwind in the final mile, I could be on the way to a satisfying race.

According to your graph it looks like you basically surge to improve your time before every mile checkpoint when you look at your watch. Your races consequently seem like a phased assault against the clock. You start off fast and set your best pace for the day (your sustained start far surpasses your finish, though wind may be a factor here) and then at each mile mark you improve the pace only to back off it again. It's less like you're running a 5k effort and more like you're running this interval workout:

1x hard mile

1x immediate hard mile

1x all out tired mile

1x all out tired 200m sprint

Durrr

I think paying better attention to quarter-mile splits would help sustain my speed more evenly. For while I always rush to knock out the opening mile as close to 5:20 as I can, I always forget how crucial that first quarter of the 2nd mile is. Likewise, while I strive to reach 1.5 miles as close to 8:00 as I can, I rarely recognize the importance of hitting mile 1.75 by 9:40 for the sake of achieving mile 2 <11:00.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think this may be the guy who I was thinking of as the ninja guy -- all in black, and in Vibrams: http://s1291.beta.photobucket.com/user/helenakoa/media/Start%20and%20Brink%20Road%20Turnaround/084-SES_1750.jpg.html?sort=2&o=71

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Does everyone bring their own headlamps, or are those provided?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Everybody brings their own.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was entertained by DR's cooldown workout notes.

Durrr

If you zoom in behind the hotel via my map for that log entry (satellite view), you can see where it appears as though we're running right over the water! Also, if you zoom in on my actual race entry's map, right at the intersection of Calvert St and C st, you can see evidence of where I took my very brief detour --- that which essentially handed the race to Trent (not that his victory wasn't likely anyway, but that bit of absent-mindedness on my part just made it that much easier for him).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Results are up, and I've linked them from the club pages. Nathan Udell's gun time makes no sense, however.

Durrr

Based on the results and finish line photos, it would seem that you and Nathan had the same net time, but he was put ahead on account of a 1 second faster gun time. I believe he was right up at the front at the start, whereas it must've taken you a second to reach the line.

These results are very revealing. So many people who I had no clue were there were in this race. I never saw Peter Offenbacher, but he was there. As was Kathy Evans (an alum of SMR XC --- she who we shared a picnic table with at the post-LPR10 cookout), plus my old pseudo-neighbor J. Schwab (I never see her out running any more ... though I did think I spotted my nearer neighbor Elizabeth today, who I ran by as recently as Thursday morning, but she's nowhere in the results). Alas, even after searching the results high and low, I found no Dowgiallo.

Durrr

Actually, though I did find myself thinking that Joe would've been lucky to nab 3M19-29 considering Shane's surprisingly strong showing, I remember now that Shane is no longer in our age group (well, at least not again for another few months). So in truth I think Joe would've had a fairly easy time placing today.

Males 19-29

Place   Bib #   Name                       Gun   Pace         Net  Pace    Gender  City             State        Age Ranking       Team Name           
                        ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
                            1    1524   Raley, David           00:16:53    5:26  00:16:53  M       Mechanicsville   MD           1st M-19 to 29                        
                            2    1553   Rivera, Alec           00:21:52    7:02  00:21:49  M       Leonardtown      MD           2nd M-19 to 29                        
                            3    1207   Hamilton, Jason        00:22:06    7:07  00:22:01  M       California       MD           3rd M-19 to 29    Team CTSi   
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ah, they fixed the results before you saw them, DR -- originally Nathan had an 18:02 net time. I guess they just set his net time to equal his gun time. Probably his net time was really a second faster, as I was probably at least a second behind him (as you can see in the photos). He passed me with authority with about 300 yds to go.

philibusters

Solid times for all you guys.  

Good to see DR under 17, Perry under 18, and Crystal under 20.   I think DR still is not running what he is capable of at 5K, but rather than running 40 seconds off what he can do like he had done in his previous 5k'S, yesterday he was maybe only 15 seconds off, so I think it may break his funk in the shorter races.

Durrr

For 2 miles I was running the 5k race I'd always dreamed of running ... and then the 3rd mile happened.

Now THIS is what I call a rivalry:

7 Katie Ogden 00:58:53.06 F 23 6: 19.9
                              8 Perry Rapp 00:58:55.02 M 47 6: 20.1

Meanwhile me and Demers both got a taste of "best of the rest" humility this weekend.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I got chicked, but it was kind of my own fault - I turned around and yelled, "C'mon Katie!" a number of times, because I thought she should catch up - for maybe four miles we had a good pace group of the top four in my age group plus maybe another guy or two. Eric & David pulled away, and Jeff fell back, and for most of the rest, I was running with the young kid, neck & neck, him pulling ahead on uphills, me passing on downhills. Katie wasn't far back, and I yelled back at her a couple times in this section, to encourage her to catch up. The young guy looked back every so often - I think he was afraid of getting chicked. In the last mile she caught up, and then when she passed him, I went with her. But coming off the last hill, she outkicked me.

It was her longest run since MCM, so she was approaching it as an experiment - and Brandon was supposed to be jogging it, as part of his way back after injury. Clearly he got carried away with his "jog". And of course I helped to corrupt Katie's experiment into a real race effort.