The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

philibusters

Sounds like you ran  similar quality race compared to last week.  A 4:53 equals a 5:14 pace for a mile so you were a tiny bit faster on the pace, but the race was also a tiny bit shorter.  How as the weather?  When I ran yesterday it was drizzling.  Did you guys have a wet track.

It was pouring down rain and lightning when it was time for me to leave work, so I skipped out on it. I didn't want to drive an hour in traffic in storms to have it maybe canceled by lightning. My guess was that they'd have the track meet if it was at all clear at precisely start time. I noticed on the radar that it looked like just after 6pm there might be clear enough skies over Lusby and sure enough this came true. I'm glad it worked out, although I'm sorry I wasn't there for it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It was overcast and maybe lightly raining still -- I forget when the rain stopped. In other words, definitely faster weather than last week.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

If Demers can break 9:00 in the 3000 in 2 weeks (he'd basically have to run back to back <4:30 1500s, which doesn't seem so impossible considering that he posted 4:20 last night), then I think he'll have a shot at going sub-16:00 in the 5000 (as he did back in college). Yes, I'm feeling very intimidated by the track series competition so far this year. I fear that last night I could've gotten "chicked" by Sara Fry-Casscells again (which would've made my record 0-2 when racing against her).

philibusters

I raced the mile last night in 5:42.   It didn't feel like a race though.  It was a random relay of three person teams where each person ran 1 mile.  The course was a one mile loop that started and ended in the same spot.  Anyway, the trail was pretty narrow and there 100 teams and I didn't start in the front line but more towards the back and I felt like I lost 5 to 10 seconds at the start of the way weaving around people.  I accidently pushed a woman in the back, but I had thought I had a clear lane at one point through the throng of people to move up and then she stepped in my path and its hard to go from accelerating to slow in a second so I could not stop in time.  In fairness to myself she was probably a ten minute miler and she lined up right near the front.

It never felt like a race.  My head just wasn't in it.  After running the first quarter in 1:30 or so because I had to weave through people, I knew my time wasn't going to be good and I just never dug deep.  Mentally I treated it more like a hard interval than a race.

How did your team do?

Perry's goal last night was to break 10:25 and managed to do so by a little over a second in something like 10:23.6. Matt pretty much drafted Perry the whole race and then pulled away from him for the last couple of laps.

The race was won in 10:02, so breaking 10 would have been a numerical achievement and gotten the win. Trent had 200m to go when he was at 9:24 and I remarked to myself that he could break 10 if he ran the last 200m in less than 36 seconds. Based on his splits I think he could have done it, too, so he must not have tried.

philibusters

How did your team do?

Teams were assigned randomly.  I was hoping for top 10 given that I got two other males who were around 30 and high school age respectively, yet we still didn't crack top 10.  We finished in around 19:00 minutes.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My positioning worked out much better (than Phil's). I saw Trent standing in lane#1, and decided to line up right behind him, expecting him to pull away and give me clear track and immediate pole position. That worked out perfectly (as can be seen in a couple of the photos), and the entire chase pack settled in right behind me.

I knew that by halfway (or so) I only had Matt on my heels; I could tell by the shadow that it wasn't one of the girls, and I expected him -- actually I was surprised he was behind me, but his race plan is obvious in retrospect. He told me afterward that he thought we had a two and a half laps to go until the lap recorders told us that we had 1.5 laps to go, and so he got excited (being closer to finish than expected) and gathered his energy and started his move then, and went by me decisively in the front straight and turn after the bell. Sara was shouting at me to chase him, so I tried, which probably kept me from fading into danger of missing the PR.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Started several positions back in lane#1 this morning, and came up at back of heat (as usual for me in this race), and then clawed my way up during the race -- as usual for me in this race. Great result for me.

philibusters

Started several positions back in lane#1 this morning, and came up at back of heat (as usual for me in this race), and then clawed my way up during the race -- as usual for me in this race. Great result for me.

That is your first breakthrough race in a couple years Perry.  I think you got a 6 second PR on the mile there and now you have to think long term there is a possibility of breaking 5 minutes.

Durrr

That's 25 seconds off your 2012 Wall time! And it's indeed a surprising breakthrough, as your track times this summer have otherwise been rather consistent with last year's (e.g., you ran 10:28 in the 3000 last summer and 10:23 in the 3000 this year).

Durrr

Who in the world is Ben Dickshinski? Could that have been Brandon Demers running under an alias? It's a bit fishy to me that the initials are the same.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Nope, different person. Friend of Katie's.

Who in the world is Ben Dickshinski? Could that have been Brandon Demers running under an alias? It's a bit fishy to me that the initials are the same.

Well, David Raley has the same initials as David Rudisha....but you didn't hear it from me.