The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Why don't you come race Dawson's 10K this Sunday? I suspect there'll be more competition.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I think coming back from a half marathon to run a 10k is not easy in terms of having speed and being fast. I think you should consider putting your focus on the 5k for a while in your training (if not the mile). I'd still run your same easy running, but do workouts geared toward faster races.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

PRs this morning for Brandon and for Josh, I believe -- not sure about Karsten.

http://www.annapolisstriders.org/2014/resultsDAWS2014.htm

Durrr

Sounds like a fast course --- and I'm worried about when Demers will show up in So. MD again.

It seems like there was a grave misunderstanding about the Crofton Kiwanis 10k at the CBRC meeting ...

7 (Sat)
          Crofton 10k – Gary Howard, David Raley (WINNER!), Joe Dowgiallo (AG 2nd), Phillip
          McCollum (3rd), George Sisson

Were people looking at results from 2012? Phil was most certainly not present, and I'm afraid Joe was 6th in the age group.

Yeah, that seems like the wrong year. Oh well!

Durrr

Looks like Emily made a grand track series debut!

philibusters

Yeah I saw that.  Wish I was there, I miss the track series.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My 5000 went pretty well. I passed Hayley at about a mile in, and pushed through to what might be my fastest race since Feb.

It was only three days after ES6, so I was happy. Karsten, who lapped me on the last lap of ES6, had a very strong 5000, and lapped me on lap 7, but didn't quite lap me twice -- but did get a PR.

I'm curious to hear if DR has any report to make.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Also, the track series makes an appearance in Kara's blog, with DR visible.

Durrr

I was the last person to not get lapped --- and this I avoided by just 2 seconds!! Then I missed the once and a lifetime opportunity to lap Perry by 3 seconds.

Sounds like Karsten has really reclaimed his swagger after a year or two of diminished racing prowess (e.g., when I handily trounced him at the 2013 Snapple High Cloud Half and the recent LPRM).

Durrr

Ah, ha --- this picture illustrates how perilous close Perry came to getting lapped by me (though in truth I had no kick, and it would've been difficult for me to make up those 3 seconds).

philibusters

You never posted your 5K results DR in your log?  What happened?

Looking at the splits it looks like you went our really hard, maybe too hard, and slowed down pretty dramatically, then sped up and settled into a nice pace.

Durrr

Since mid-July when my laptop broke, I've only been logging treadmill runs. I have a new laptop now, however, and once I finally get the Garmin software downloaded onto it I'll do a mass upload of all the outdoor, Forerunner based runs I've done since then (not that many, but the runs include a Piney Point long run and the track series race).

In the track series 5000 --- my first 5k since Jingle Bell --- I very quickly began to lag. I found myself dearly wishing I'd more recently done some 200s/400s or anything that would've given me more speed power. It was only in the last few laps, when I realized that the threat of getting lapped by Joe Niemiec was very real, that I found the motivation I needed to accelerate (and good thing, because Niemiec came within 2 seconds of lapping me!).

philibusters

<p>&nbsp;</p>
                              <p>&nbsp;</p>
                              <blockquote pid="e8d6377736cc49da8d566bcf940a5db8">
                              <p>So I am thinking about running a 5k this weekend to establish a fitness baseline.&nbsp; I am going in with expectations of 19:00 to 19:30, but honestly not sure what to expect.&nbsp; Fitness wise, I have been in better shape over the past couple years, but I don't feel I am out of running shape either.</p>
                              </blockquote>
                              <p>&nbsp;</p>
                              <p>&nbsp;</p>

I ran 19:15 today, right in the middle of the time range I thought I was in based on my fitness level.  I was not super excited, but I was a bit relieved the time wasn't slower.   The course may have been a tad short, my forerunner measured it at 3.10 rather than the normal 3.13 to 3.15 range I get for 5ks.   The course was moderately challenging, decent amount of rolling hills and some twists and turns.

My splits were 6:14, 6:09, 6:18 so I paced it reasonably well.  The first mile I was aiming for 6:05 to 6:10.  I was worried about going out too hard, so I started a couple rows back and that may have been a mistake as I got stuck behind some slower runners and had to zig zag by people for a good part of the first mile.   The second mile felt good.  The third mile was the uphill mile.  I went into the mile feeling good, but I felt exhausted near the end.   Weather was nice today.  Around 70 degrees at race time, maybe a tad higher as that was what my car had at 7 a.m. and the race actually started at 8 a.m.  Some humidity but not terrible.  I am going to run another 5k in three weeks and the goal will be to break 19 minutes.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I saw this in your log, so I was going to ask if you were going to post a race report... and here it is.

Congrats. You're going to pick up some speed before going purely to marathon focus, right?