The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congratulations Joe. I think your result today is faster than any of mine all year.

I hit the 5K split in about 19:30 today, which actually may be as fast as any of mine all year as well.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

What amuses me is you seem to have hit your watch after 3.1 to lap a 5k split, but it's arguable that had you hit your watch to lap at 1.9 you might have had a faster 5k split due to your good last half of the race.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I did try to lap the 5K. I did not notice that I ran negative splits, which seems to be what you are implying. Off to look Smile

philibusters

Rough day at the marathon for me yesterday.

The pace never felt easy.  Often times the first few miles of the race seem easy, but from the get go the past seemed fast.  After a shaky start from miles 1-6 where I was surprised by the effort I was putting out to keep pace, I settled into a groove and miles 6-13 went fairly smoothly (though the hills bothered me some even during this period) and ran 1:31:30 for the opening half of the marathon, which put me on pace for 3:03.  At that point, I was still worried about whether I would be able to run around 3:02 to get into Boston, but I thought I would at least qualify for Boston.  From miles 13 to 20 I stayed with the pacers and I hit mile 20 on pace for a 3:03:30 which probably wouldn't get into Boston, but would at least qualify me for Boston.  Then at mile 20 things started to fall apart.  First I got a side stitch.  As far as side stitch goes this one was pretty minor, but it was there.   Then my hip started bothering me a little bit.   Finally the fatigue really got to me.  Ultimately the fatigue was what did me in.  The side stitch and hip would have made it hard to "Tempo" in the last few miles if I had anything in reserve, but I didn't really have anything in reserve so it was a moot point.   I was running like 7:35 per mile from miles 22 to 26.  Unfortunately I was done.  Next try will be Newport News most likely.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

According to your watch you had a very strong mile 15 Smile

Ankle sprain at mile 5.75 at Rosaryville.  It looks like no running for me for a few weeks.

Phil ran a solid PR even though he was hoping for more. I think he held on rather well during his second half considering his brisk pace during the first half. I don't think in a marathon you can ever really feel like you're working too hard at the start of it or else you will pay for it later. Your solid aerobic foundation probably helped you keep it together at the end where many people would have had to jog or walk. I think 3:06 is a great time and another 3 months like this would put you in a spot to easily break 3:00.

Sorry to hear about the injury, Crystal. No high heels for a few weeks, either! I hope walking returns to normal quickly. At least it happened in winter instead of beautiful spring or summer months.

philibusters

Ankle sprain at mile 5.75 at Rosaryville.  It looks like no running for me for a few weeks.

Sorry to hear about that Crystal.  Did you ankle roll on you?  Those take a couple weeks to be runnable again, but they take like a year before your ankle is truly 100%.  You may want to avoid trails when you come back.

philibusters

According to your watch you had a very strong mile 15 Smile

If only that was true, I would have run sub-3:05.  Alas, most likely a tall building interfered with the GPS.

Durrr

Rough day at the marathon for me yesterday.

The pace never felt easy.  Often times the first few miles of the race seem easy, but from the get go the past seemed fast.  After a shaky start from miles 1-6 where I was surprised by the effort I was putting out to keep pace, I settled into a groove and miles 6-13 went fairly smoothly (though the hills bothered me some even during this period) and ran 1:31:30 for the opening half of the marathon, which put me on pace for 3:03.  At that point, I was still worried about whether I would be able to run around 3:02 to get into Boston, but I thought I would at least qualify for Boston.  From miles 13 to 20 I stayed with the pacers and I hit mile 20 on pace for a 3:03:30 which probably wouldn't get into Boston, but would at least qualify me for Boston.  Then at mile 20 things started to fall apart.  First I got a side stitch.  As far as side stitch goes this one was pretty minor, but it was there.   Then my hip started bothering me a little bit.   Finally the fatigue really got to me.  Ultimately the fatigue was what did me in.  The side stitch and hip would have made it hard to "Tempo" in the last few miles if I had anything in reserve, but I didn't really have anything in reserve so it was a moot point.   I was running like 7:35 per mile from miles 22 to 26.  Unfortunately I was done.  Next try will be Newport News most likely.

Phil, after examining your log I think that the symptoms you describe in your race report may be the result of being somewhat overtrained. I see that you had a monstrous, 350-mile October, and there were several days in the past couple months that you ran close to or more than the distance of a marathon. And then you didn't afford yourself a particularly luxurious taper before the big day. I know that the natural inclination might be to train harder and run more this time, but you may very well benefit from a "less is more" approach to your next marathon (that worked for me when adjusting my marathon approach between 2013 and 2014 ... in the former, more excessive case I was too injured to even make it to LPRM, but in the latter, more conservative instance I survived and arrived with success).

Joe, was your narrowly missed opportunity to "Shame Shane" and inherit my victorious CAASA Step-By-Step 5k mantle a case of you running abreast with him for much of the race only to watch him slip away toward the end --- or was it more a case of you steadily reeling him in all through the race until distance and opportunity ran out? I do feel like he finally got his due, as when my 4-year Step-by-Step reign began in 2011 he was the only one who seriously tried to oppose me that day. His redemption only required a patient wait over 4 years!

I think Phil's buildup and taper were great, but he probably could have run less the immediate day before. It's splitting hairs, though.

I ran abreast with Shane for the first 1.5 miles. I mean literally abreast. We were side by side. Then at the traffic circle at the end of the island he pulled away some and very steadily pulled away little by little. My pace stayed almost the same, so that means he ran negative his final half of the race. Based on Chaptico he was in superior fitness to me then, so this wasn't a big surprise.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Results for my 5 year age group yesterday:

Apparently they awarded by chip time.

Gun Chip Award (I think)
                            Me 3:18:25 3:18:06 1
                            Dave H 3:18:47 3:18:11 2
                            Dave K 3:18:27 3:18:24 3

Did you have an inkling at the finish that the guy two seconds away was an age group competitor? Congrats on placing!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Did you have an inkling at the finish that the guy two seconds away was an age group competitor? Congrats on placing!

That didn't occur to me, but he sprinted by me going into the final turn, and I said, "Good job!", then felt inspired, and sprinted up to join him, and went on past him Smile