The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

Durrr

Although it involved waking up at 5 a.m. on a Saturday and driving an hour north through a dense, omnipresent fog, the Crofton Kiwanis 10k --- my first 10k ever --- was well worth the trip! Today was one schweaty morning, to be sure, but the sun remained veiled and the temperature didn't exceed 80, so really our only elemental adversary was the stick-stick-STICKY humidity --- which was so thick, in fact, that I had to keep pulling my shorts up during the final mile of the race. THAT'S how soaked and sodden they were with dewy perspiration! After a rapid start signal that caught almost everyone off guard, I lurched forward with the front runners, initiating the race with a pace that, although more mild than my usual 5k "go out in" speed, was still probably too intense. To my bewilderment, I found myself straining to keep up with a group of girls who were, almost invariably, 15 years of age (okay, I admit it --- I peaked at their registration bib information before the start). "They must think this is a FIVE k," I scoffed to myself. Well, the girls, who could only have been the female members of a local high school cross country, soon fell far behind ... all save one. This determined young lass refused to give up, and she aligned herself with the front runner fast pack --- the people whom I spent the next several miles trying to keep in sight! I don't know how I would've run this race without the Forerunner. My essential objective was to keep the pace sub-7:00/mi, and thanks to the instantaneous pace calculator I was able to do so quite well --- if not too well (many times I looked down and saw that I was brazenly dipping sub-6:30/mi ... only to find myself exceeding 7:30/mi a few steps later). I forget my one-mile split, but I hit number two right around 13:20, and then mile three somewhere around 20:35-20:40 (meaning my 5k/race half split was approximately 21:30 --- right on target!!). As for the course? It was highly residential (and HILLY), meaning it wove its way almost entirely through sleepy neighborhoods rather than on busy business roads. And the residents themselves were out on their front lawns in fine numbers to cheer us on. The course was like a tricky labyrinth, however, and --- since I couldn't always keep the front runners in sight --- I surely would've gotten lost if not the for the frequent spray-painted arrows on the pavement. Oh, and upon finishing a loop, I espied Alden and his pacing coach Rick, about to begin it! Now, I'd been staying appropriately restrained for the first half of the race --- constantly reminding myself that this was a 10k, not a 5k --- but I'd had enough. I made a vow that, once I hit mile 4.5, I'd unleash the beast within and devour the rest of the race, leaving nothing behind ... except all the people I'd beat, of course. First I passed that defiant high school girl (who was probably majorly regretting going out so hard), and then I picked off a couple chaps (one of whom quite jovially quipped "I guess you were saving your energy for the end!"). As my pace began to hover in the low 6:00s (occasionally sub-6:00/mi!), I couldn't help but get the feeling that this was starting to seem just like a 5k. Finally, after a dogged dogfight with the number one female in which I ultimately prevailed, there it was --- the 10k finish line! I pushed it in real hard (although not quite coming close to catching the guy who was only several seconds ahead), acquiring a new 10k PR time of 41:45, which indicates approximate 5k splits of 21:30 and 20:15 plus an overall average pace of 6:43/mi. Not such a bad debut! Race stats: 6th overall (out of a field of roughly 200 runners), 2nd finisher in the M20-29 age group (sure enough, the guy who finished only three seconds ahead of me was 1st!). Needless to say, I've got a fine new silver trophy.

Diesel Power

Alden ran a STRONG 56:37 10k. He shot off the starting line, and I had to coax him to slow his pace over the first couple of miles. The first two mile splits were 8:42, 8:52. After that, we ran three straight miles between 9:25 - 9:30. We picked up the pace again in mile six, running that in 8:33. Alden struggled a bit in the final quarter, but he finished strong. I really enjoyed everything about this race. This price was lower than average ($20) the race shirt was very decent (it's a shirt I'd actually wear in public!), and it's always nice when the community greets runners with open arms. I'd say that I would take a more serious shot at this race next year, but I have big plans for the McVet 5k/10k next Memorial Day. In fact, I dare say this will be something never attempted by a League member before. However, I'm getting ahead of myself. My next scheduled race is a five miler put on by the BRRC in mid August. I considered running Chaptico, but the drive might be a bit much for a fairly expense road race. At that point, my attention will fully turn to the Baltimore Half on 10/11.
      Durrr

You did Alden an extraodinarily noble service today. I'm not sure I'd ever be able to humble myself enough to pace someone along --- unless their pace was equal to my best race pace! Perhaps Alden could join you for that 5-miler as a prelude to your respective half marathons.
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ran my first tri yest morning -- sprint tri on base. It was a lot of fun. I entirely forgot about swim lane seeding, and was in substantially too slow a lane, and it was too difficult to keep passing everyone else (8 swimmers in my lane), so I would swim til I caught up to someone, then breaststroke headsup, and sometimes make comments to Crystal who was watching from the side, then pass when it was convenient. There were too many people altogether, so they only started men first, so the women were all watching, so several of my club friends were watching and yelling at me to swim faster -- but I found it fairly relaxing to give up on speed and just swim easily. I spent way too much time in the first transition, tying shoes, putting on gloves and shirt, etc, and still forgot to drink and take gel packs. The bike was really great -- Tues at a local time trial I'd averaged 14.4mph on a hybrid bike for 18mi of a 25mi time trial than given up due to sore rear -- so I wasn't sure I'd recovered, but I was thrilled to find myself averaging over 18mph -- on a road bike not a hybrid. The night before I'd put toeclips on it -- took a lot of work to get the old pedals off, and the thought had occurred to me that if I sprained my shoulder trying to change pedals past midnight the night before a race, and couldn't race the next day, I'd feel pretty silly, but fortunately I got through that operation, so I had toe clips for my first time for the race. They felt fine -- I like them. I expect that my +4mph improvement in time from Tues to Sat was due to (1) road bike instead of hybrid, (2) flat course instead of hilly, and (3) toe clips. There was really heavy fog, and I was hoping no car (or airplane) would hit us as we biked around base, but it was lovely in the fog. My glasses got wet, but I could still see. I chased one guy for about 8 miles and passed him only just near the end, right before the final hill. Fortunately for me, he was a nice guy and yelled at me from behind me, when I missed the last turn into the final uphill -- if he hadn't yelled at me so I turned back, I would have gone on to who knows were. (There really weren't any course markings.) I felt pretty good going into the run, altho of course it was hot - the fog was gone, so it was 90s I think, and sunny. I ran just under a 7min pace, for a 21:35 run split (5K). It was an out-and-back, and I declined water at the turnaround -- I can't handle water when I'm racing at that speed, I'll just spill it all over and/or choke. The turnaround was one guy with his car and a cooler and cups. So after I declined and turned around, I felt the water hit me on the back -- he'd thrown a cup onto me -- which I appreciated Smile No clock at the end, so I don't know my time, until I find where they post it. They took no splits, so I'm really glad I used my watch to time the bike and run. The overall time won't mean anything to me anyway, but I'll find it out at some point. We had planned to run back from the tri to home - me riding and Crystal running, and possibly switching. But Crystal already had a headache from the sun, so we nixed that and rode back with a friend. Crystal waited until last night to run, when the heat & sun had died down (a little). After we got home, at about 11:30 (lots of cheering other people and women in, then talking, then awards), I went out for another run in the heat, because I felt really good. I ran 4 mi, the first two at abt 8min/mi and the 2nd two at abt 7:25min/mi. Wierd thing to do after a race, and probably not recommended I bet, but I felt pumped up and really good. I really enjoyed the experience, overall. I'm glad the run & hot sunlight were the last leg. Apparently some other guys came in and then just went and jumped into the pool to cool off -- I probably would have done it if I'd thought of it, sounds like a good idea.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Sounds like quite an experience! The running segment was a 5k, but how long were the aquatic and cycling phases? And was the swimming portion in a pool or in some natural body of water (the fact that there were lanes makes me think pool)? And here are the 10k results! http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?rsID=64737&orgID=234639&pubID=2 Turns out I was only ONE second behind the villain who won the age group, the field of runners was actually 164 rather than 200, and Alden successfully vanquished no less than 77 competitors!
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wow, that's close (one second). 800m swim in pool (50yd pool, so odd number of lengths) -- the lifeguards counted lengths and put a kickboard down in front of you when you were coming to the wall of your last length -- good thing as I didn't count at all, and was shocked to be done when the kickboard went down in front of me 13.1mi bike (primarily the 10mi cycling loop that PaxVelo uses all the time, but which I've never done and don't know at all) 5K run, of course This was a sprint triathlon. wikipedia says the standard distances for sprint,olympic, half-iron and iron (which are the only four I ever see or hear about) are: sprint: 750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run Olympic: 1500m swim, 40km bike, 10km run Half-Iron: 1900m swim, 90km bike, half-marathon Iron: 3800m swim, 180km bike, marathon

Durrr

132 25/25 458 Joe Dowgiallo 25 Lexington Park M 41:15 13:17 41:27 It just dawned on me that my 10k time was only 30 seconds slower than Joe's most recent 5k time! I realize, however, that he was merely pacing Billy (or was Billy actually pacing him?).
                Durrr

9 Thor Young 38 181 M 42:20.27 There was a guy in the race on Saturday named Thor.
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ran Walden-Sierra this morning -- 5K at Greenwell. Actually I marked the trail and ran it both Smile My first sub-20 finish -- won't know the exact time til they post, but definitely a PR, and definitely the clocked hadn't rolled over to 20 when I crossed. Nice and hot out there Smile MTA: But the horseflies were much worse back home mowing the lawn than at Greenwell.

Durrr

Well done! I knew it was only a matter of time before you broke 20:00. Did you win your age division?
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yep - just saw results. Age of finishers: 17, 18, 17, 17, 43*, 17, 28, 15, 16, 33 (F), 16, 27, 33, 15, 46 * = me at 19:39 Lots of kids!

Durrr

43? Have you had a birthday recently, Perry? If so, happy birthday!
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

re: bday Thanks. But, I'll be more psyched when I get to one with an age group -- I hear some of the triathlons do age group brackets every five years, so twice as many bdays are good ones Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I bet my strong finish at Walden-Sierra is at least in part due to the Greenwell training last year, DR Smile

Durrr

Indeed, after running the Greenwell 5k course four or five times in a row during one run last winter (six times in a row that time I did 18.75 miles), we should know the course better than anyone!