The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

Diesel Power

Too Hot To Trot 5 Miler NCR Trail - Cockeysville, MD August 17, 2008 - 8:00am I suppose the irony of the name of this annual race was lost on no one this morning, especially those of us who were up at 5:00am. It was warm by January standards, but fairly chilly by mid summer standards. For this first time since June, I got up three hours before gun time to consume my pbj on bagel and a couple of quarts of water. It was quite chilly while I was walking Molly. I could definitely see my breath, and I had to don long sleeves for the first time in many months. The race start/finish line was at the Papermill Road parking stop at the NCR Trail (Alden is fully aware of where this is). This is approximately 0.5 miles from the start of the trail, so the race course would be a simple out-and-back, to the 3 mile post. Val and I were the ninth and tenth people to sign up, out of about 100-130 people. This was my first experience at a BRRC race. I was pretty happy with what we got. The race number was very simple. There wasn't the traditional "bib," but a much smaller piece of paper showing the number (these were still professional looking, just much smaller). There was no race shirt, but I certainly didn't expect one for $6. There was a decent spread after the race though. Watermelon, donuts, munchkins, bagels, oranges... I got the impression that some of the food may have been brought by several generous runners, but I could be wrong. There were even a couple of port-a-potties present! I went thru my normal pre-race stuff with Val... jog for a half mile, stretch for about 15-20 minutes, GU, jog another mile, port-a-pottie. I think Val may have been a bit more nervous than me, as this was her first race since Thanksgiving. We went down to the starting line, and I noticed a few things. First, although the temperature was up to the mid-to-upper 60s, it was a bit cooler on the trail. This is because the trail is largely shaded, and runs along a large creek. Second, the lack of butterflies in my stomach was causing me some worry. I previously had concerns that I wasn't taking this race seriously at all, despite that it was the opening race of The League's Fall season! Therefore, I took my place in roughly the middle of the starting pack. After all, had I run 37:00 last year, I would have finished 55 / 124. The race was very competitive, much like I was expecting from the small group. The front pack was off like a shot, and I quickly began to weave in and out of a few runners. My vigor for racing quickly found me, and I began to speed up. I probably ran the first half mile at about 3:20, much faster than my intended goal pace. For the next 1.5 miles, I settled into roughly a 7:15 pace that I felt I could maintain. The water stop was well-placed (about 1.5 miles into the race, and therefore 1.5 miles from the end as well), but I wasn't a big fan of how they filled up the cups almost all the way. These were the green Gatorade cups, so each probably had enough water for a couple of mouthfuls. I generally like to take a swig and roll-out. Regardless, I hit the two mile mark at about 14:15. However, I got wrapped up in the midpack competition and decided to drop my pace again. I had been playing a passing game with a few people that I got tired of, and left them far behind me. The turnaround spot was awkward, but this was inevitable. This spot on the trail was only wide enough to accomodate 5-6 people running abreast, so I imagine this turn was similar to the one you guys faced on that handicap ramp DR wrote about. I managed to get through this with very little trouble, but was still quickly passed by a couple of people who seemed to holding themselves back until the second half of the race. A few minutes later, I saw Val coming the other way. She was also jockeying for position with a few chicks, but was holding her own. After giving her a quick "GO VAL!" or something similar, I focused everything on keeping my stride tight to my body (in terms of width), and speeding up my turnover bit by bit. My next bout of competition came at about the four mile marker. I finally caught a group of three guys I had zeroed in on about a half mile previously, and saw that two were fading fast. The third stayed with me for another half mile, and I offered words of encouragement in order to keep him with me. After all, I felt I needed something to keep motivated. As he fell further and further back, I looked down at the Forerunner... 4.70 miles. I realized that this was the perfect time to justify the fast 400m finish that I do at the end of every interval workout. I opened up my stride and felt the pre-vomit pangs. However, I kept up until the very end. My reward was not vomiting! My unofficial splits: 1- 7:01 2- 7:14 3- 7:02 4- 7:06 5- 6:50 I believe my official time will be roughly 35:15 - 35:20, which I was thrilled with. That's about a 7:04/mi pace, about 20 seconds faster per mile than I was shooting for. While I'm very happy about this time, it was really the perfect race-day storm. The temperature was nice and cool, humidity felt low. Additionally, the NCR Trail is notoriously flat. To give the SOMD people an idea, it is similar to how the Step-by-Step/Jingle Bell course is flat. Both have their subtle inclines/declines that may affect your pace without knowing it, but the NCR Trail has no hills like the one in front of the Tiki Bar area. If this were something that people wouldn't consider a PR course, I likely would have been closer to 36:30 - 37:00. Still not bad for the first race of the year. After the race, there was a modest awards ceremony with "budget" trophies. There were very nice glass frames holding a certificate type paper for the first three men and women overall, as well as masters and grand masters. The spread was also modest, but more than I would expect for the price tag. I was extremely impressed with how this race seemed to be pulled off with minimal flaws. The BRRC community is incredibly close knit. It was like a family reunion where the people don't seem to harbor resentment over petty issues. I'd love to think that this race will set the tone for my fall season. I like to think that had I worn my racing flats, I may have been a bit closer to 35:00. The next day or two will certainly be easier, but after that I'll have a full 4.5 weeks of training until my next race, the 2nd Annual Get Ready! Get Set! Get Fit! 5K at Towson University. Guess what my goal time is. I'll let Val tell her story of the race if she chooses, but I'll first say that I couldn't have been prouder of the race she ran today. Her pace was considerably faster than at the Chaptico Classic last year, and not too far off her pace from the Get Fit! 5K last year. With Alden and Adubb poised to impress next week, and Joe, Perry, and DR running the Chaptico Classic the following week, I think it's going to be a great season.
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wow, I'd like an experience like that (great fall-style weather race in mid-August, and great race), and I'd especially like the price tag Smile Great job.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Well done! Looks like you did a superb job of pacing, and if it'd been a 10k I have no doubt that you would've been sub-45:00. Those "budget" trophies sound better than the duplicate plastic cups and socks that the Chaptico Classic awards --- and that race costs $24 more!

Diesel Power

Well, a sub 45:00 would have meant I'd have to pace no slower than 7:14. However, if I ran 5 miles in 35:20 (7:04/mi pace), I would be able to slow down to a 7:38/mi pace for the final 2K to break 45:00. So, you're right, that would have been possible on a course that was equally flat. Of course, I've run so many miles on the NCR trail that, by this point, I almost know that when a certain turn comes I'm about X far away from the next mile post. I'm sure that gave me some kind of advantage in pacing, similar to the advantage you might have at Greenwell. Then again, I think Joe once said something about fault and knight's picking battles...
            Those are incredible times. I think you are poised to destroy some high school times if you haven't already. (It's almost as if your future is most prom... no, I won't say it.)
            Durrr

Joe, I think it's imperative that we update the League website before Chaptico. FIVE races (soon to be six) are now in need of resulting! I'll gladly help by rounding up the necessary data. These are the races (run by ...): -Hospice 5k (DR, Perry, Rick, Alden, Crystal, Joe, Billy) -Robbie Miles 5k (DR, Perry) -MCVET 10k (Rick) -Kiwanis 10k (DR, Rick, Alden) -NCR Trail 5-miler (Rick, Valerie)

Diesel Power

http://brrc.com/brrc2008/2008TooHotToTrotRaceResults.html Updating the BRRC website is not always a strength of the BRRC, but better late than never. Rick - 35:20, 38 / 104 Val - 42:30, 77 / 104 The rough part about running these BRRC races is that they can be insanely competitive. If I got into the best shape of my life and did nothing but BRRC races in a season, I might still finish near the bottom of the standings!
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Warmed up 1.2mi around 7:25 -- we went out Hurry Rd, so we saw the double hill. I warmed up another 0.3mi a few min before the race starts, trying to help ensure I was warmed up. 10K - I think I might like this distance better than 5K as it is less a sprint, but still I was pretty tired for second half and it felt kinda painful -- esp. that double hill, and then beyond that I didn't know what was coming, so the uphills in the farm road and on 238 were unpleasant surprises. Fortunately I caught sight of a person ahead of me as I came to the bottom of the double hill, and I chased that guy all through the double hills and farm road, and caught him on 238. Then I started chasing the next person up, and got kinda close by the end, but couldn't catch him. Oh, and nice uphill finish -- found energy to run hard for the finish just in case anyone was shooting a photo. Completely forgot to turn off my watch, so definitely didn't spoil any photos by bending over to shut off my watch Smile I really like out & back courses because I like getting to see the people ahead of me at the turnaround. This had that, except the out&back was only of the first half -- so I spent the whole second half wondering if I could ever catch up enough to see Blaine -- as it turns out, not -- won't know how far he & the other guys ahead of me were ahead until I see results. Wish there was more food -- only were cups of fruit. (I'm a big fan of having some protein not long after a run, but didn't bother to bring any, b/c for some reason I assumed they'd serve something). Wish I'd left my watch on even longer, because right after they called the 10K over and we disassembled the finish line, I saw another guy coming in. I found the finish line person, but she said they already stopped the watch -- that was when I wished I'd left mine running so I could at least call a time out for the guy. After awards (I didn't win anything, but some people did), we went out with Liza for a 4mi run -- 2mi out & back on Hurry Rd, so we did the double hill again. Felt good except feet were sore. Hit Panera for some nice sandwiches & salads. Got home, both exhausted, showered and napped. Just woke up and considering napping again - feeling very tired out.

Durrr

P.R. neglected to mention that he ran an excellent PR 10k time today --- 41:42, did you say? Well, after five years, I finally achieved my long-running goal to break 20:00 at the Chaptico Classic 5k. Or at least I think I did. If I really did, it was by no more than a nose, nay, a nostril! I don't have time to write a decent account now, so hopefully I'll be motivated to do so tomorrow. And I'd really like to see the official results (times generally weren't mentioned during the awards ceremony).
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I didn't know my 10K time after the race, b/c I was too tired to catch it, I only knew it was 41-42. But I found the guy with the results page later, and my time was 41:14, and Crystal's 5K time was 22:19 (she was aiming to PR by breaking 23:00).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

They just posted the results to the mailing list 5K Men 20 to 29 #1 = Noah Wood of Catonsville, MD, 25, 4th overall, 19:10 (6:10/mi) #2 = David Raley of Mechanicsville, MD, 25, 12th overall, 19:59 (6:26/mi) #3 = Emmett Schaller of Leonardtown, MD, 23, 32nd overall, 21:55 (7:03/mi)

Diesel Power

Congrats, DR! Weather.com suggests that the conditions yesterday may have been 75 degrees at the start of the race, with around 80% humidity. Do you think the weather was something to be overcome? Perry - That's quite a time you pulled off. I feel similar to you about 10Ks... I'd definitely like to race the distance more in the future.

Diesel Power

Joe - We haven't heard anything from you, yet. How did you feel you did? http://www.runraceresults.com/LiveElite/ If you type the names of some friends of ours, you may get a pleasant surprise.
                            Durrr

Then I really did it! Without a single second to spare. The weather conditions yesterday were quite reminiscent of the Kiwanis 10k --- thickly overcast and stickily humid, although it was probably a few degrees cooler. Compared to last year's Chaptico environ, however, yesterday's weather was exceptional for racing. It was the usual crowd ("the repeat offenders and frequent finishers," as Mike the race director would say), boasting both the SMR and Chopticon cross country teams. Joe was being quite elusive during the pre-race proceedings, so I warmed up alone. Then, 15 minutes before start time, I did something I hadn't done since high school: I did the GU (I'd like to think that, if anything, the GU gave me the boost I needed to run 19:59 rather than 20:00). I failed to snatch a front line position, as the aforementioned Chopticon XC team had swarmed their way forward. Old Mr. Thompson, meanwhile, was right behind me. And then came the starting EXPLOSION. Really, I thought either a bomb had gone off or a dumpster had fallen out of the sky. It's strange how history keeps repeating and reflecting itself. The first quarter mile of the race went exactly like the first quarter mile of the race last year went: I went out hard with the leaders, bolstered by the cheers of the crowd; packs of high school students began surging ahead; Julia Smith darted by to the left; and then the two front runners attempted to cut across the traffic circle and take up 238 towards Helen before being corrected. And then, shortly thereafter as we began the long uphill trek towards the U-turn on 234, those same two jokers tried to turn right onto Zack Fowler Rd (where you turn left for the final straightaway in the 5k), which would've afforded them 5k finish times sub-3:00! Again, they were ... corrected (and if their mothers had attempted to intervene, they would have been corrected as well). So, I was chugging along, quickly falling behind the top 10, and then I hit the slowest first mile split I've run in ages: 6:25 (it was reassuring, however, to see that the Forerunner's odometer and the course mile marker were only off each other by 0.01 of a mile). I knew that, to achieve my goal, I'd have to run the next two miles absolutely no slower than the first. I made "this is the year I'm going to break 18:00, so start running like it!" my inspirational code --- but then my confidence was dashed a moment later by the next competitor to pass me. It was small child, standing hardly a hair higher than 4'0, who whizzed right by me and didn't look back. And then, to add salt to injury, I was promptly passed by late-middle-aged man with gray hair! Who am I? Where did I go wrong? Upon making the U-turn for the home stretch, I looked over to the other side of the road to snicker at the long line of people I was beating, but my derision died immediately upon beholding a most daunting sight. There were the front runners of the 10k --- the people I'd had a half-mile head start on --- poised to hit the U-turn. I'd forgotten that the 10k runners make their U-turn farther down 234, and thus I thought that I'd be getting passed by people in a longer, slower race (over whom I'd had a 3-minute head start) at any moment. That'd be even more humiliating than getting smoked by a kid who's not old even enough to see a PG-13 movie without an adult. Anyways, no one else passed me after the turnaround. And my second mile split was in the 12:50s, so I was at least keeping pace. At last I saw the tell-tale sign of the race's final chapter --- the power lines cutting across the road and dividing the trees, indicating Zack Fowler Rd --- and I hastened. Now, I'd been having an issue all through the race. I was wearing the running shorts Rick sent me, and although they provided excellent stabilization, I had neglected something quite important: I didn't tie the drawstrings! Thus I was pulling my shorts up constantly as I raced along. And as I charged thunderously to the finish --- moaning in dismay at the realization that I might miss my goal time by one or two seconds --- the shorts all but fell right off! And that would've been bad since, because the shorts come equipped with a swimsuit-like netting, I was wearing nothing else under them. Ah, and as for that old man, I think even the world's finest race official would be scratching their noggins over who finished first. I basically barreled past him in the finish chute, and I'll be darned if the results don't say we both ran 19:59 (it was probably just like what happened between Rick and Adubb at that one fateful George Town Prep race). So, I learned yesterday that sometimes the difference between valiant victory and destitute defeat is the span of one second!

Diesel Power

DR - I texted you and Joe a picture that my brother sent me recently. It was of a newspaper headlining proclaiming that SMR was eyeing the WCAC XC title. How did the team fare yesterday? For that matter, how did Chopicon do?