The League of Extraordinary Runners

Banter (Read 1523 times)

Durrr

Didn't Perry once run a silly "0.05k" race? Is this it?

Emily sometimes sends me links about running from major news sources and typically it's something I've already seen elsewhere, but today she sent me an article about the autopsy results of Micah True. I was curious what they would be, but didn't know they were released.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-05-09/Micah-True-marathoner/54859400/1

I find his enlarged heart to be a copout excuse. I don't know the significance of a "thick" ventricle, though. Is that even a medical term? I don't think so.

Many things about his death during a routine 12 mile run are interesting, but the most interesting two things to me are:

1) He had gone for a 6 hour run the day before.

2) They found caffeine in his system.

I think numerous other factors like the day's conditions or how he may have tried to cool/wash his body might have contributed to stress or shock on his body, but those two previous points are the factors I suspect most of being a catalyst for his body freaking out.

Who ever heard a six hour run, right? Must be a typo...

Diesel Power

This food intake app I'm using has not only made me more calorie conscious, but also more aware of nutritional values.  For instance, it looks like for the most part I'm doing okay in terms of fats and cholesteral, and surprisingly protein.  My iron in take is still very low... for the week, I've taken in less than half of the DV.  Potassium is just as bad... I've taken in roughly 9,000 mg of K for Sunday - Friday morning, and the DV is 3500. 

My sugar intake is out of control.  370g for the week so far, and the suggested DV for seven days is 232g.  Less fruits and more vegetables, I suppose, though bananas are high in K (and sugar).  Striking a proper diet balance is hard work. 

I think things like brocolli and V8 (low sodium) are supposed to be high in K, so maybe I'll try those things out instead of too many fruits. 

Weight update: I weighed 185 on Sunday morning.  In my defense though, I had just finished a 48-hour period from seeing the Avengers at 12:01 Friday (and consuming mass amounts of popcorn) to devouring the better part of a 7-11 pizza (surprisingly tasty) on Saturday evening.  So, 185 was perhaps overstating.  I'm down to 176 as of today.  I should note that I definitely don't feel like I'm "starving" myself.  Like Phil mentioned in another thread, weight lost early on could definitely be water weight. 

Now they just need a modified one for runners so that it can tell me to take more magnesium and things like that. It's the magnesium that always gets me...

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

On the VHTRC list they're discussing how long MMT is. One guy said he'd run it in segments this summer using two watches to get more data. Just saw this post, which cracked me up:

GPS has been done.

A thousands times over.

We know the shortcomings of this approach.  Two more carried at the
            same time isn't going to help.

Dan this is your chance to be a hero and perhaps even become an
            immediate front runner for the VHTRC "Next Year I'm Not Doing
            Anything Stupid" award:

Clearly, the course *MUST* be wheeled.

If not you, who?

If not now, when?

I have reached my limit of great ideas for the moment, so that is
            all for now.

Best,
            Bur

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

As far as I'm concerned the wheel has a noteworthy margin of error. They should hire surveyors.

So it turns out that my hairdresser went to school with you guys and in fact, ran cross country with you.  Melanie Guy (I think the last name is correct).  She remembered you all, but particularly noted how fast Phil was in racing.   She was a sophomore when you all were seniors.

I think we all remember her quite well. We still see her around once in a while. Where do you go to get your hair done?

philibusters

I definitely remember Melanie.   She was one of the top 3 girl runners when we were seniors.   There was Melanie, and girl named Nadia, and a girl named Megan Weaver.  All three were capable of outrunning the other two on a given day.  Within the team I was kind of secondary friends with Melanie.  By secondary friends I mean not close friends in that we talked often or ran together much, but I was fairly friendly with her and we would chat some.  Probably similar to how I am friendly with Neal Offenbacher.  If I see him at the Twilight series I will almost definitely talk to him (whereas there are some people I don't know well enough to walk up to and talk to at nthe Twilight series even if I know their names), but not somebody I do a lot of runs with.

Durrr

I associate her more as being a softball star.

I think we all remember her quite well. We still see her around once in a while. Where do you go to get your hair done?

JCPenney Salon

I broke down and made a purchase on RunningWarehouse.com. The humble genesis of this is that I need more socks. I used that as my gateway.

I've been mulling for some time, actually a year now, that my running was never better than when I used the T6 Racer as a daily training shoe. The shoe does not hold up well on the road, though. When I was training for Boston I used the adiZero Ace as my road shoe. This worked fairly well for me. I was not happy with the Brooks T7 Racer. It was an update that made the shoe less comfortable. It slightly improved the fit, but added hot spots and did not wick away moisture as well. Whereas I could get about 500 miles in the T6, I was only getting about 350 miles in the T7. About this time I was toying with the adiZero Adios, which was a little more minimal than the Ace. It was very much a cross between a cushioned trainer and a racing flat. The more I liked it, the more I rationalized I could simply use it for all my road and grass training. From October 2011 through now (June 2012) I've primarily used the Adios as my all purpose shoe. They've always been acceptable, but never great.

I've been using my most recent pair of the Adios for what seems like a couple of months. I thought I would be over 200 miles on them. They feel like shoes I've put a lot of miles on. Yet I'm only at 150 miles! That's what happens when you run 25 miles per week -- it takes forever to accumulate high mileage on shoes. For a long time my grass runs haven't felt very liberating and my road runs haven't felt very protected. The Adios just seems like too much of a compromise to get either surface right.

So I bought two more pairs of the T7 Racer. I'm going to go back to wearing those in grass. I have several cushioned shoes in my closet I can use for road running (including two more unopened pairs of the Defyance).

I also made an impulse buy. I saw that the ASICS Japan Thunder 3 spike was on sale for an even deeper discount. Even though I haven't worn my other pair at all, I bought another pair. Ludicrous, I know. But they are simply the most comfortable spike I've ever worn and if my Achilles can ever handle spiked track racing again I can't imagine ever wanting to use a different shoe.

philibusters

Its a good day to watch running on TV.  ESPN had teh final day of the NCAA Track championships from 12-2 (including four distance events, mens and women's 1500, women's 5000, and the mens 3000 steeplechase) and now at 3 on NBC the Diamond League meet is on.

6pm Sunday at Bollywood for Phil!

Durrr

BM for PM.