The League of Extraordinary Runners

Banter (Read 1523 times)

So Perry saw a runner in our community today that looked like Sara Fry.  I do not really know what she looks like, but I have seen a runner in the community who looks like she knows what she's doing.   I don't know Sara, but I'm wondering if she lives near me and Perry.

Durrr

Weren't she and Perry both at the Pub Run last week? I bet she'd be a great interval partner for when you do your fast 200s and 400s on the street (as me and Joe learned first hand at Hospice 2010, she can KICK ... according to her UVA athlete profile, her 800 PR is 2:11).

Durrr

I'm of course not trying to foster any bitter rivalries by pitting myself against Phil and Perry in the running for the CBRC Male RotY Award (goodness help us if Joe's name gets added to the mix, too!). All of us are of course worthy of the commendation (and I'll admit that, since I already received the honor for 2009, it may be someone else's turn), but I wanted to make the club at large more informed about who might be deserving. So while Caitlyn Kogel might readily think of Perry --- as she sees him enthusiastically running at Pub Runs and races of vastly varied distances --- she might simply have no idea who I am or what I might've accomplished this year (though I do clearly recall her sitting right there when I collected my 1OA medal at Young Life).

MTA:  oops, my self-nomination was unnecessary. Thus I made myself look needlessly vain. Joking

I'm of course not trying to foster any bitter rivalries by pitting myself against Phil and Perry in the running for the CBRC Male RotY Award (goodness help us if Joe's name gets added to the mix, too!). All of us are of course worthy of the commendation (and I'll admit that, since I already received the honor for 2009, it may be someone else's turn), but I wanted to make the club at large more informed about who might be deserving. So while Caitlyn Kogel might readily think of Perry --- as she sees him enthusiastically running at Pub Runs and races of vastly varied distances --- she might simply have no idea who I am or what I might've accomplished this year (though I do clearly recall her sitting right there when I collected my 1OA medal at Young Life).

MTA:  oops, my self-nomination was unnecessary. Thus I made myself look needlessly vain. Joking

It's interesting.  I had in no way anticipated that folks would start a barrage of nominations over facebook. I was hoping they would send them by e-mail.  Some folks did, so the facebook people did not actually see those nominations.  This modern technology and the instantaneous receiving of information (that perhaps, should not always be seen right away) is still a work in progress. 

DR, it's helpful that you put all that information about your running year out there as that's what I'm going to have the nominees do anyway.  I will be requesting all nominees to provide a photo and write-up of their accomplishments for the year.  I'll compile those and send them out to the club for review, then start the voting.  Sierra did this a couple of years ago and I thought it worked well.  I got to learn things about other runners that I did not know.

Durrr

Yeah, I think it probably would've been best if nominations had been emailed privately to you (i.e., just to you and not reply all to the whole club) and not out in the open on the Facebook forum thread. It turns into a bit of a popularity contest that way, with some nominations getting "Like"s and others not --- and then comes the flood of joke nominations.

I believe the intent was for it to be private. I'm sure Crystal thought, "Oh, no," when she saw all the Facebook posts lobbying for names!

philibusters

Edit:  I think I sent my nominations to Crystal via email, but I cannot find the sent email.

I believe the intent was for it to be private. I'm sure Crystal thought, "Oh, no," when she saw all the Facebook posts lobbying for names.

Edit:  I think I sent my nominations to Crystal via email, but I cannot find the sent email.

Phil, you sent an e-mail response to me with your nominations, so I have them. Did you want to change them or add anything?

I believe the intent was for it to be private. I'm sure Crystal thought, "Oh, no," when she saw all the Facebook posts lobbying for names!

Yeah, I was expecting folks to only send their nominations via e-mail.  The facebook page notification was basically just that, a notification that they had an e-mail to review in CBRC groups.  Once one nomination started, the floodgates opened.  I guess this is how we find out the shape of things to come in social media use.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Should I start writing up why I think Allyson Felix deserves ROY now?  Cause the 200 at the Trials and the 400 relay leg are both gonna get mentioned.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Felix's lack of cartwheels at the Olympics are going to hurt her in the award nomination race against Kathleen.

So yes, Sara Fry lives about .5 miles down the road from us. 

Durrr

Just an 800m interval away!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Felix's lack of cartwheels at the Olympics are going to hurt her in the award nomination race against Kathleen.

Also Felix didn't beat me in an ultra this past year.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.