The League of Extraordinary Runners

Shoebacca (Read 143 times)

Durrr

Joe's recent bantering made me realize how absurd it is that this running forum has extraneous threads for Race Videos, Diet, Daniels Tables, and even NFL Talk, but no shoe talk! Thus I humbly submit Shoebacca  in hopes of establishing a haven for all things rubber/gel, sole/insets, tongue, and laces (the League's official online shoe rack!).

I'll start off by noting that my New Balance M 540s --- which are "4E X. Wide" --- have been a relief. Initially I feared myself doomed to a couple clumsy months of running, as I'll be wearing these (purchased at the dawn of May) until some time in July. They haven't been so bad, though, because while there's a whole lot of breathing room to the sides, the toe-to-heel length is correct. So while I at first felt it necessary to double up my socks when wearing these, I no longer bother. Perhaps the only drawback is the side-to-side sliding my feet do when I make sharp U-turns.

If you simply told me what your shoe buying budget was, I could probably find good shoes on sale at deep discounts. It sounds to me like you're buying shoes based on the tried and true way, which is to try them on first. I think that method remains good. But in this case it sounds almost as if you were unhappy with the shoe even at the time of purchase. I'm glad it's working out for you, though.

I'm grateful that you now log your equipment. Do you purposely try to replace shoes every 500 miles or do they just happen to all go bad for you around 500 miles?

Durrr

Uh ... I didn't so much try them on as pick them up off the display shelf, feel them up real good, and closely visually scrutinize them (I mainly seek shoes that present a happy medium between being flat footed and high arched --- semi-arched is the ideal). Thus it wasn't until after I'd purchased the shoes, brought them home and tried them on that I became aware of the extra-wide screw up.

I've always figured that 500 miles is about the standard for when it's time to retire a pair of running shoes from active service. For me that usually comes out to around 3 months, which is indeed when the support of the shoes starts to feel worn down.

Durrr

For many years now, my running shoe purchases have been solely Asics (save for a New Balance exception here and there). Well yesterday nothing Asics or NB was working for me at Kohl's, as everything my size was either extra wide, trail running specific, or some garishly colored monstrosity with what looked like springs for soles (and this of course sums up most of the Nike or Reebok options). Thus I took a bold chance and went with a pair of Filas --- a brand I've never worn before. I walked around in them, and they sure feel similar to the Asics I'm used to, but I'm still curious to know if anyone has anything particularly negative to say about Fila.

The brand used to be big in soccer countries and most of its marketing is still focused in those areas. During the professional marathoning boom in the 1990s they started sponsoring many big name athletes like Paul Tergat. They have some history in making running shoes, but it's hard to know whether the shoe you bought was designed with running in mind and how developed the materials are. You are a light runner, though, and put less wear on your shoes. My guess is they'll last as long as the other shoes you buy.

I bought a pair of New Balance 1400 the other day. They are similar to the Brooks T7. I hoped buying them would help get me back into running. I wore them in the mountains and enjoyed them greatly. They are slightly more supportive than the T7, so a little better for daily use, though not necessarily for racing. I think this could end up being a shoe I keep stocked for the next year or two.

philibusters

For many years now, my running shoe purchases have been solely Asics (save for a New Balance exception here and there). Well yesterday nothing Asics or NB was working for me at Kohl's, as everything my size was either extra wide, trail running specific, or some garishly colored monstrosity with what looked like springs for soles (and this of course sums up most of the Nike or Reebok options). Thus I took a bold chance and went with a pair of Filas --- a brand I've never worn before. I walked around in them, and they sure feel similar to the Asics I'm used to, but I'm still curious to know if anyone has anything particularly negative to say about Fila.

I had a pair of Fila's.  The cushioning was too firm so I only did a few runs in them and then gave them away.  This was maybe three years ago before I got into running shoes.

Durrr

I had a pair of Fila's.  The cushioning was too firm so I only did a few runs in them and then gave them away.  This was maybe three years ago before I got into running shoes.

They must've heard your complaints, because I wouldn't describe the cushion as anything but squishy!

philibusters

This might be a post that interest Joe... http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2013/01/what-do-orthotics-and-shoes-actually-do.html

Its Jackie Areson, she ran the A standard multiple times so she is a fairly good runner.  It looks like she heals strikes quite a bit.

I read that the other day. What I found most intriguing is that she strikes most comfortably in the shoe she ran in throughout college. Begs the question of whether she picked the right shoe back then or if feet just adapt to the shoe you wear over time. I believe the latter is partly true and I'm willing to accept the former, as well. The study would be a lot more interesting if it was for more than just one person.

philibusters

I haven't bought a pair of running shoes since late August, which is probably the longest period of time that I have gone without buying a pair of running shoes since I got into running shoes around September 2010.  My goal is to make it to February before I buy another pair of running shoes, but I may splurge at that point and get two pairs.  I could realistically another year before I would honestly need another pair.

I read that the other day. What I found most intriguing is that she strikes most comfortably in the shoe she ran in throughout college. Begs the question of whether she picked the right shoe back then or if feet just adapt to the shoe you wear over time. I believe the latter is partly true and I'm willing to accept the former, as well. The study would be a lot more interesting if it was for more than just one person.

I haven't read the article (and probably won't make the time to), but sometimes I think you just get the right shoe.  I found a slightly used pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 9's in my stash and started wearing them again.  They fit like they were made perfectly for me.  No other Adrenaline has fit this well. I am now on GTS 13.  They are pretty good, but not nearly as good as the 9's.

philibusters

After managing to go 5.5 months (since mid-August) without buying any running shoes I broke down and purchased two pairs on Sunday.  I got the Mizuno Wave Riders 15 (neutral) and the Mizuno Wave Nexus 6 (stability).

Durrr

I'm in dire need of new shoes, as I've been running on these Filas since before Jingle Bell (I would've expected to have a new pair by now, but I ended up running basically 100 miles less than intended in January). Also, I noticed some alarming evidence the other day regarding what a severe heel-striker I am. The black rubber is completely worn down around the heel edges of my shoes.

philibusters

I'm in dire need of new shoes, as I've been running on these Filas since before Jingle Bell (I would've expected to have a new pair by now, but I ended up running basically 100 miles less than intended in January). Also, I noticed some alarming evidence the other day regarding what a severe heel-striker I am. The black rubber is completely worn down around the heel edges of my shoes.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpagesale.html?ccode=SALEMS

owever if you use the discount code FB15D it should take an extra 15% off the liquidation items (some facebook promotion). When you view your cart, there is a place to put in a discount code right below the list of the items in your cart.

Phil, your link to those deals almost tricked me into buying shoes. Then I remembered how many extra pairs of unused shoes I have in the closet that I'd still like to wear. I'm currently running in the T7s on grass. I have another pair of them waiting for me and even an old pair of T6s I've saved (most favorite shoe ever). On the roads I'm mostly running in an old pair of the Defyance. I don't like the shoes, but I have two more unused pairs of them in my closet, so I'll keep wearing them unless I can prove they aggravate my fracture. I considered buying a pair of the Ronin racing shoe, except I have wearable pairs of the previous two versions still. The Hagio is on sale, but I have an unworn pair of its predecessor still. I strongly considered the Wave Rider 15, except that it fits the same role as the Defyances I already have and I'd rather wait for the Wave Rider 16 to come down in price and give me some time to wear the Defyances. I've always loved the Wave Rider. My only complaint is that they seem to wear down faster than most other trainers.

Considering DR could get a pair of those for under $70 I feel like that is a very compelling reason for him to consider an online purchase of shoes for a change.