The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

It's good to have goals!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In the 1600 David Strickland has run 4:19.96 or something like that. The Great Mills record is about 4:19.3, by Will Christian. So David is hoping to improve by .6sec before graduation. The SMAC record is several seconds lower -- not sure how many.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Phil, you're definitely doing the Crofton Kiwanis 10k, right? Me, Joe, Alden, and Rick should all be there.

philibusters

So I am thinking about running a 5k this weekend to establish a fitness baseline.  I am going in with expectations of 19:00 to 19:30, but honestly not sure what to expect.  Fitness wise, I have been in better shape over the past couple years, but I don't feel I am out of running shape either.

Durrr

You should wait until the following weekend and ... test your fitness at the Chaptico Classic!

Durrr

The LPR10 is less than a month away, but I'm not registered yet. This is mainly because I'm not yet certain whether it's again Liza's intention to comp the registration of those who finished in the "open" (as well as the club champions) last year. I believe I've had my registration comped the last three years --- for finishing 3OA in 2010, being the CBRC champ in 2011, and finishing 2OA in 2012 --- and since I was 3OA last year, me being comped for the 2014 race would be consistent with Liza's policy. However, I really don't want to be so presumptuous as to blatantly ask her "Hey Liza, you're going to comp me again, right?" So perhaps someone else could ascertain whether or not the open placers comping policy shall continue? It's not that I'm too cheap to pay (and it is indeed an excellent event worthy of the fee); moreso that I'm currently in a position where saving a few bucks here and there could go a long way.

I would just flat out ask her if you still haven't registered yet. Something as simple as,

"Hi, Liza,

Are podium finishers from last year comped at this year's LPR10 or should we formally register?

Thank you,

Durrrr"

Durrr

Too late! On Tuesday I just bit the bullet and paid to register.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

She mentioned to me a couple days ago that club champs get no prize money but get a comp the following year, whereas top 3 get prize money.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Phil, when are you planning to do your last major long run? If Richmond is on the 15th of November, then that puts two weeks between the 10 miler on the 1st. I think that's good if you do your last long run on the 25th or so of October. It will just make for a week bookended by two hard distance runs and then a two week period where you need to recover, but not have tired legs. I've often done well when I've done something like

3 weeks out - long

2 weeks out - brisk 13 miles

1 week out - easy 10 or so

race

It really depends on whether you finish the 10 miler still able to run normally or whether you feel like you need significant recovery.

I am debating whether to run a 10 miler myself--the Yorktown Battlefield 10 miler in three weeks.  It would serve partly as prep for the Richmond marathon, but also a PR attempt (1:04::27 in my 10 miler PR).  That said, the Yorktown course as a decent amount of hills and three and is windy so I am thinking it may not be a PR course.  So I'll continue to think about it.  If I cannot PR I am not sure it is worth, but if I had a fast course on a perfect temperatured day, I am in shape to at least have an outside chance at  a PR.

philibusters

I was thinking about doing my last long run three weeks before the marathon.   The 10 miler is two weeks before the marathon.  The marathon and my dreams of Boston Qualifying are my absolute top running priority.  Getting a 10 mile PR is more icing on the cake so if I am not fully recovered from teh long run for the 10 miler that does not bother me.  I just want to have fresh legs for the marathon.

philibusters

If I qualify for Boston at Richmond, I think I might try to get gig as a pacer at the shamrock marathon (probably the 3:25, 3:35, or 3:45 group).  If I don't qualify for Boston at Richmond, I'll be racing a marathon in the spring trying to qualify.   I think I have a shot at qualifying.  I am in good shape, my weight is not great, but its not bad either.

Phil, good luck this weekend!

Phil, good luck this weekend!

Agreed!  Hope it goes well!

philibusters

Thanks everybody