The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

I just looked at run data for the last month and it shows Phil on top in mileage. DR fell back quite a bit, but I assume he's still leading when it comes to pace. How is everyone's training going? Phil and Crystal look the most consistent these days.

I'm running really just two or three days per week. I was doing maybe two easy runs and one longer run. I need to do faster stuff now, so it will probably switch to two easier runs and one day of very pathetic intervals.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Without my streak, I sometimes don't run at all when I'm traveling, and I had some low weeks last month.

I had two big weekends most recently

- (9 days ago) 50 miles including a 16mi race on Sunday

- (2 days ago) 40 miles including a 10mi race on Sunday.

I was quite happy with those in terms of mileage, and am okay with the races both being slow (even though at race effort).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

Perry we may have a competition for the montly mileage title.  I am probably going to finish this month in the 280 range (as long as I keep running like I plan).  That said you currently on pace for about 300 for the month so you are also having a good month so far.

I just looked at run data for the last month and it shows Phil on top in mileage. DR fell back quite a bit, but I assume he's still leading when it comes to pace. How is everyone's training going? Phil and Crystal look the most consistent these days.

I'm running really just two or three days per week. I was doing maybe two easy runs and one longer run. I need to do faster stuff now, so it will probably switch to two easier runs and one day of very pathetic intervals.

Consistent is probably a good word to use for my training.  I'm not doing anything particularly special, but I'm also not slacking off. That might change a tad this week as I did a 28 mile run last Saturday and a 27 mile run the Saturday before.  I plan to cut back this week and have used the past two days to run easy.  I was actually shocked that I had no pain and felt really good on Monday.  Tuesday felt quite sluggish to start, but better as I continued to run.  I have no desire to put in hours of training to get back into serious 5K shape, but I also want to maintain some speed.

philibusters

The Crystal I remember was more speedy than endurance based.   Now you run 50 milers annually.  How things have changed, but you seem to be happy doing it.

philibusters

My running plans for the weekend didn't go as planned.

I was originally going to run 4 or 5 miles easy Friday night then drive down to NC for the marathon Saturday morning.

However a few things occurred that prevented that from happening.

First I got an email on Thursday that parts of the course were flooded.  Second I had a really busy week at work and I was tired when I finished work on Friday.  Finally I got stuck in traffic on the way home from work.

By the time I got home it was 6:30.  Too late to get in a run before I left for NC, so I decided not to do the run.  As I was packing up to go to NC I realized I was really tired, the trail which the marathon was gong to be run on would be super muddy, and I didn't want to run it.  If I was smart I woul dhave gone for a run at that point but it was 7, dark out, and I was tired.

Saturday morning I was going to run with Mike but he texted me about a Pirate 10k so I ran that as a tempo.  It was a trail tempo and I gave medium effort for a tempo.  This was not like Metric Marathon where I was not sure if I was racing or tempo'ing.  I definitely held enough back that I was tempoing.  I'd guess I held back about 20 seconds a mile.  I ran a 44:05 or something like that.  The course was short.  The trail was more of a firetrail so not a lot of runs, but lots of rolling hills and twists and turns.  My watch said my overall pace was 7:17.  I ran the first mile in maybe 6:40 (which was on road) and that was the effort I gave throughout.  I probably only averaged 7:30 per mile on the trail but the effort probably equallyed 6:50 or so on road.  With a two mile warm up and four mile cool down.  I got 12 miles.  Later in the day I ran four more miles.

Sunday was about making up for missing the marathon and that meant going long.  I ended up running about 15 miles with Mike and a third guy named Dave.  Usually Mike pushes the pace, but he was good and we averaged maybe a 8:20 pace for the first 15.  We almost got run off the road by a bike rider.  Mike yelled at her "what the h#ll are you doing?" by which she responded by bombarding with about a 20 second rant of cursing.

After they stopped after 15 miles, I ran an additional ten miles.  The weather was perfect for running and I felt great in terms of temperature and energy.  Near the end of the run my knee got a little sore, but overall I felt really good considering I went for about 25 miles.  In total the run was 25 miles at a 8:31 pace.  Not quite a marathon and my weekend did not quite as planned, but since a productive running weekend.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I almost didn't run this week, but finally got running in today

• afternoon: 14mi in Seventh District down a road I've never been on in my life
                • evening: 10mi w Liza & Judy

Phil, good job getting in the mileage today. It looks like you're 15mi ahead of me on the month now.

Durrr

Phil, I hope you taper significantly. You've now done two long runs that were both practically marathons, so you could be treading close to being overtrained.

philibusters

It is only over training if you get injuried ;-)

Seriously though you make a good point, though I don't feel that long slow runs put that much stress on the body.   I am much more likely to get injured doing hard speed workout than going long.  Most of my injuries tend to be pulled muscles and not repetitive stress injuries (knock on wood). That said, after the Yasso workout a couple Thursdays ago I did have a lot of tightness in my hamstring, so I am susceptible to injury right now.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So are you not running, or just not logging, Phil?

philibusters

Sorry for not responding.

I am running some,not as much as I would like.

Sounds like you are going to be on Tim's Team Beast Mode for the 24 hour run.  I was talking to Tim tonight and I was like my friend Perry would be a good fit for your team and he was like you already joined the team.

Anyway, it was my last run with Tim for a while as he is leaving the Newport News Police to take  a job with the FBI.

philibusters

Is your drop in mileage Perry a taper or is it related to being busy with other things.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Combination - taper removes my interest in long runs, and my drive to get mileage fell off after the end of the streak.

I did have a nice 8mi run w Jay Clarke a couple days ago that was mostly in the low 7s, that felt pretty good -- and that made me happy. I'd like to do a bunch more like that over the winter (in anticipation of LPRM).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Today's 11 miler on base (just completed) leaves me feeling very accomplished: I felt good. I got somewhat tired, but never felt in too much pain or too exhausted. I'd like to put in a fair amount of mileage like that over the winter, to get ready for LPRM.

4mi tempo this morning. Now I feel tired.

philibusters

Nice, I don't think I realized you were injured until last Friday.