The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

Phil,

Can we talk you into signing up for the Stone Mill 50 Miler in November?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Endless Summer 6 Hour Run
        Annapolis, MD
        July 26, 2014
        Karsten Brown (1Mas) 42.244mi
        Perry Rapp (1AG) 38.094mi
        Jay Clarke 37.47mi
        Kathleen Hammett 29.175mi
        Christina Wood 26.450mi
        Kara Kramer 25.272mi
        Ruth Tonkyro 23.186mi
        Amy Werking 22.486mi
        Deborah Francisco 18.708mi

Phil, have you relinquished your association with the CBRC?

philibusters

Haha, yep.   Maybe some day I'll move back to Southern Maryland.

philibusters

Phil,

Can we talk you into signing up for the Stone Mill 50 Miler in November?

No, because it the same day as my target race for the fall--the Richmond Marathon.

philibusters

I didn't come anywhere close to my goal of breaking 19 minutes in my 5k yesterday.  I ran 19:32 officially I believe.

I thought the course was longer, three weeks when I ran 19:15 the course measured 3.10.  This time I ran 3.18 so watch had me at 3 second per mile faster pace.  The course was less hilly than 3 weeks ago but the temps and condition were worse.  Last week it was a moderately hilly course, this week no hills (though some rolling inclines), but the temps were not good.  The race didn't start until 9:30 and it was about 87 or 88 degrees and it was humid.  Plus the course was right in the sun without any shade so heat played a much bigger factor this time.

Overall I was moderately disappointed, BUT I knew going in I don't do well in the heat.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I didn't break 19 either. But Crystal said I looked better than Trent when I came up the last hill and into the finish line. (He was already done by then.)

Durrr

(Belatedly in succinct fashion.)

Last year, defending my title and chomping Chaptico a second time was a cake walk --- so much so that I was able to go off course (adding nearly a half-mile to the race for me) and still win handily. It clearly wouldn't be quite so simple this year considering the presence of sub-5:00 miler Greg Imhof, but I didn't exactly consider him a real rival; just someone who would keep my pace honest. Well guess who decided to turn his bib number black (as opposed to the red of the 5k) and enter the 10k:  Trent Herzog, my Jingle Bell rival! He'd just run a sub-59:00 10-miler on the challenging Annapolis course the Sunday before, which indicated that he should be more than formidable in Chaptico. Ah, and the temperature was quite mild and the sun was veiled by heavy clouds, but a sticky humidity persisted.

Many men sought to stampede initially, but by the time I'd negotiated the Chaptico traffic circle and begun ascending the hill it was obvious that this race was a two-person conversation between me and Trent (Imhof and Danny Bennett soon trailed out of consequence). It was tight! Trent was essentially drafting off me all the way until the 10k course U-turn, and this seemed to be a benefit to my pacing (keeping me sub-5:50/mi). I sought to take the U-turn aggressively and steal a step on him before he could make the sharp turn, but my plan backfired:  Trent started pulling ahead after the U-turn!

I didn't let him get away just yet, but all the momentum seemed to be in his favor. Meanwhile, Jereamy Hall the 5k leader was fast closing in on us from behind (granted we'd had to run farther down the road in the 10k, but we'd still had a head start by a couple minutes). "Here comes the 5k," I warned. Alas, we did not escape the humiliation of being passed by the 5k leader --- but at least only the leader passed us (when he was exploiting the downhill descent for a finishing kick), and it didn't happen until the 5k finish was in sight up ahead. More importantly, Trent had backed off on trying to lead by the time Jereamy nipped us. In fact, I'd stolen a few steps back from him before I bypassed the turnoff for the 5k finish (making me look like the leader to those observing). Thinking back to my fierce fights with Joe in the Chaptico Classic 10k in 2010 and 2011, I knew that it was absolutely crucial that I be solidly ahead of Trent by time I began ascending the dreaded double hill on Hurry Rd (just after the mile 4 mark).

Hanging a left onto Hurry, I dared to take a good look back and ... what happened? Trent had fallen way back. Suddenly daring to dream of a certain threepeat, I got a bit gleeful right as I finished my 4th and fastest mile split of the race. But there of course couldn't be any celebrating until I had Memorial Hill left firmly between me and Trent. And oh my, this was the first time I've ever run the Chaptico Classic 10k sans having done a real hills workout (a rigorous increasingly incline session on the treadmill a couple weeks before had to do), and it showed as I slowed. I was huffing and puffing by the time things finally leveled out, indeed, but I immediately had to prepare for the next obstacle:  not turning down that dirt driveway again (actually, upon passing it again it seemed absurd that I would've turned there). Avoiding any bewildering detours, I took the right right turn this year ---  but another look back showed that Trent was almost to the top of the hill!

Some suspense endured as I weaved through the flocks of unwary walkers (often walking several people abreast) on the rough and rambling (though fortunately dry) farm dirt road. Yet once I was back on pavement via a right onto Maddox Rd, there was no question that my third consecutive chomping of Chaptico was all but wrapped up. Just like in 2012, however, the course was longer than it appeared --- for even though I hit mile 6 in exactly 34:30 (by my Forerunner's reckoning), I would once again fail to break 36:00 despite a solidly sub-6:00/mi effort in the concluding "quarter" mile. This time the course measured 6.29 miles! Thus I would've needed a much mightier final kick to crack 36:00 --- but at least I improved upon my 2012 time by a single second with my 36:09 finish (my 2nd fastest 10k ever).

There've been plenty of "repeat offender" champions in the long and storied history of the Chaptico Classic (such as the legendary Jim Hage who won the 10k on 6 occasions, or the likes of Julia Smith and John Urban who've posted victories in both the 5k and 10k divisions of the event), but 2014 was the first time anyone has ever pulled off a trio of consecutive 10k victories (and Mike Whitson was kind enough to note this during the awards ceremony). And even if I never win at Chaptico again, I only need to participate nine more times to achieve Twinkle Toes status!

Congratulations DR!

Durrr

Thanks!

philibusters

This is probably your best non-marathon race in the last year.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Fun report to read; thanks.

philibusters

I had a very disappointing race today.  I have three excuses and one realization.

The realization was that I was not in as good of shape as I thought.

The excuses:

1.  It was hot (about 80 at the end of race) and we were in the sun with no shade for like 9 out of 13 miles

2.  I had tired legs.  I had a 20 miler and today rounded out my highest mileage week since January or February.

3.  I went out too hard.  First mile was 6:20 then 6:25 and 6:27.  I had a classic case of going to hard.

It was a fairly fast course and I got off to a fast start.  Early I actually felt good.  Around mile 5 my legs got tired.  Around mile 7 the heat really got to me as my shirt was absolutely soaked with sweat and sticking to me.  Miles 7 to 10 were particularly discouraging and I temporarily quit the race at mile 10.   Around mile 10 I saved my 10 mile split which I think was a 1:07:01 or 02.  At that point I was like this heat and these legs I cannot finish this race.  So I slowed to about a 8 minute per pace.  Then the second place woman passed by at mile 10.7 or so and I felt guilty and started running around 7:05 miles again.  Which I regretted cause I resumed feeling terrible again.  The last miles seemed to drag on forever.  Since I had stopped my watch I was unsure what my time would be and I was starting to assume the worse, maybe a 1:31 .  As I hit the finish line I came in somewhere between 1:29:20 to 1:29:30.

Disappointed but it was a great learning opportunity.   Hopefully this is a reminder for the marathon to go out conservative.  I was a small race maybe 150 runners and I actually managed to finish 8th.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Well, it's not that big a disaster, and you got a harder than tempo workout -- hopefully you can put this behind you and keep training.

philibusters

Of course.   I was more disappointed, than actually upset.  I think everybody has disappointing races.