The League of Extraordinary Runners

Shoebacca (Read 143 times)

philibusters

Wave Riders may be a good shoe for DR.  They are probably Mizuno's most popular neutral running shoe.

I am excited about the Mizuno Nexus's too.  Just a hint of stability and the shoe got decent reviews for its durability.  However, it didn't get such hot reviews for a smooth ride.

Durrr

On Saturday I bought perhaps the most expensive pair of running shoes I've ever purchased ($99.99!), I broke them in yesterday ... and then this morning the shoes were plunged repeatedly into cold, sock-soaking puddles and mud. I think that Joe would be utterly aghast if one of his treasured shoe acquisitions was so soon sullied.

I had enough anxiety about wearing my T7s with 100+ miles on them to SMRSP the other day to get muddy.

The good news for you is that you can always go back and buy another pair if you think this one may lose some pep before next month! Unlike me it's plausible you'll actually still get full use out of both pairs rather than see it sit in a closet for a year.

Durrr

With the way the extended forecast is looking, I'd have to buy a new pair every 2-3 days if I considered shoes to be pep-detracted after a single rain-ridden run (though in retrospect perhaps I should've un-retired those Filas for just one more run). But no, I simply stuffed my new shoes with newspaper, which should have them relatively dry and rearing to go by tomorrow.

philibusters

It looks like you just bought your pair of high end shoes DR.

Durrr

This is them. As you can see it looks reinforced under the heels, which is apparently what I need.

Durrr

I agree it is in pretty poor taste, but it's true shoe companies do cater to whatever people will buy. Shoe descriptions are out of hand.

Okay, this is not about shoes, but it's kind of related:  Joe, Dick's Sporting Goods is selling Batman running shirts.  Black...with a Batman logo.

Durrr

Bats, I was there yesterday (buying new shoes) and didn't spot these shirts.

As in they are not cotton, but technical shirt materials?

I did not look closely enough to see the type of material, but one was on a runner mannequin, in the front section with the running clothes, and did not look like a cotton t-shirt to me.

I found this new-to-me shoe website called Wiggle.com. It's British, but ships to U.S. customers at no charge. It's like RunningWarehouse, but with a slightly different inventory. They seem to have some models of shoes only available in Europe. I was shocked to find a pair of adidas adizero Ace 5. I used the Ace 3 a few years ago and enjoyed it as a road running shoe. They stopped making it in the U.S. and so I had to choose between the Boston or the Adios and I chose the Adios, as it was more of a marathon racing shoe. I figured they just stopped making the Ace altogether. Then I find the Ace 5! I had to buy a pair, as it was also at a deep discount. Unfortunately reviews on it do not have the detail I want, so I don't know how similar it is to the Ace 3. I also bought another pair of the Adios 2 while there. This year's color for adidas seems to be purple and orange. Fortunately the Ace 5 is mostly orange. Unfortunately the Adios 2 is mostly purple. I'm really dreading all that purple.

DR, what's the deal with your new shoes? Which shoes will you wear for the 5k?

Durrr

I've learned to alternate them. That is, wear my new shoes for significant runs (intervals, tempos, long runs, races) --- but go back to the old ones for the recovery/easy/short/inconsequential runs. Because even if my new shoes don't bite into my ankles too much during a brisk 10-mile run, they will be irritating me by the end of the next morning's light 4-miler (I learned this the hard way). This process is helping for now ... though I wonder how long I can keep it up considering that my old shoes now have well over 600 miles on them.