The League of Extraordinary Runners

Injuries (Read 9 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Joe, what do you think of eccentric heel drops, for achilles problems?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I've done them and I recommend them, but they are not a magic bullet to fix something that is wrong right now. They are great for preventative maintenance, though. It's very important to only be dropping when you do them, though. If you bounce or raise then you are pulling on the tendon in the precise way you are trying to avoid by bothering to do them in an eccentric fashion.

Durrr

From my log:

Over 6 days, my only aerobic exercise was a pair of brief treadmill walks. And after the treadmill walk I took on Friday evening (a whole mile!), I felt ready to cautiously resume running. The plan was to run 3 light (i.e., actually not sub-7:00/mi) miles, maybe more if things were feeling smooth (but no more than 7 miles). 

Setting out, things initially felt quite fine. My right calf remained a tad tight, indeed, but I hardly felt injured. Plus it was a merry day for a run. Yet it was just after the half-mile mark that something struck my calf (or at least I thought something had). Had an acorn fallen off a tree I was passing? I'm afraid not, for that had actually been the feeling of my calf popping or tearing (or at least severely cramping) --- and severe limping commenced immediately. Should I still try to make it an even mile, or at least 0.75 miles? No, I had to cease immediately. It was fortunate that I was not very far from my apartment, as walking was a difficult, limpy task as well. 

I should've known better than to just go breezing around outside. The smart thing would've been to get on the treadmill, begin with walking, and then work up to a very slow jog. Now I fear that my recovery has been set back by several weeks, and that the St. Michael's Running Festival Half Marathon (and perhaps the Crofton Kiwanis 10k as well) is a lost cause.

Sorry to hear that, DR.  I hope to hear that it was nothing more than a twinge that will heal up very quickly.

Durrr

It could still be awhile before I'm back to regular running (I probably won't even attempt it again until May), but now I know that the bike machine is amenable to my calf condition. Last night was the most cardiovascular exercise I've gotten since Hospice. It sure felt great to sweat again!

philibusters

I am trying to get back into running again myself.  I missed Thursday - Sunday and ran 3 miles Monday, 5 Tuesday, and 4 yesterday.  Not an injury for me, but I had dental surgery to extract my wisdom teeth last Thursday.

Durrr

Whaaaaat? When did she jack up her spine? How bad was it that she needed surgery?

I feel like I couldn't have neglected her blog for more than a month or two yet this completely blindsided me.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think she expected to run again after the back surgery, and that this was a surprise.

Durrr

Perry:  Was your ankle twist at SMRSP a serious injury, or did you just need a couple days to shake it off?

Phil:  Your mileage has dropped sharply recently. Are you tapering for the Frozen Heart 50k, or are you also shaking off an issue?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Kara is supposed to be off running, but she goes out and cheats (jogs occasionally). Travis is off running indefinitely (spinal issue) as well.

I'm not running due to my rolled & swollen ankle. I might exercise bad judgment and try to limp a loop at FH this weekend, but no doubt it would be better if I did not.

Genzebe just completed her indoor record sweep. At least the F1500 indoor and F5000 indoor are no longer "soft" in any sense at all.

philibusters

Perry:  Was your ankle twist at SMRSP a serious injury, or did you just need a couple days to shake it off?

Phil:  Your mileage has dropped sharply recently. Are you tapering for the Frozen Heart 50k, or are you also shaking off an issue?

I was injured, but now I am just lazy.  Injuries are difficult because you cannot run during them.  Then when you heal, you have gotten out of the habit of running every day for a two or three week period and its hard to get that discipline back especially when it snows every fifth day.

Durrr

But are you still planning to BQ in a marathon on March 15? Apparently Joe is based off of one 15-mile run.

If by "BQ" you mean "participate," then yes. My 15 mile run leads me to believe it will be extremely difficult and hinge largely on whether the bones in my feet stay intact.

philibusters

But are you still planning to BQ in a marathon on March 15? Apparently Joe is based off of one 15-mile run.

I am in the same catagory as Joe.   I will participate, but I have no shot at BQ'ing.  I am out of shape at this point.