Ultra Runners

Trekking poles (Read 498 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Any of you have any experience with using trekking poles on a run?  As I become more and more decrepit, I am considering the addition of trekking poles to my equipment cache.  I see there are trekking poles and nordic walking poles... not sure of the difference other than maybe weight (nordic walking poles seem to be lighter). 

Thoughts?

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Have a look here

I was the designated driver for the 3 Peak Challenge (3 Mountains, 3 countries, 24 hours) last year and was amazed when I saw all the walkers with Nordic poles. My sister told me that as soon as she started using them for training it improved here stamina no end. It also has benefits of assisting you by reducing the load on your legs when carrying a backpack. They take a bit of getting used to but I should go for it. 

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Wasatch Speedgoat

Don't do it, Lynn....you'll be named a meltzer wannabee!

Life is short, play hard!

You'll ruin your knees!

Don't do it, Lynn....you'll be named a meltzer wannabee!

Yeah, I thought of that, but at 241 on the wait list, ain't no chance at anything other'n pacing at HR this year.  Besides, I got knee problems older'n meltzer!

MTA: and upon reflection, NOBODY is gonna confuse my speed with Karl's!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

They make a model in carbon fiber...

You'll ruin your knees!

They make a model in carbon fiber...

...dang!  That was a low blow...

... how much?

...dang!  That was a low blow...

Only kidding!! 

What I love about that Zimmer is it has brakes, they maybe a little too fast for Lynn

Jerry

You'll ruin your knees!

What I love about that Zimmer is it has brakes, they maybe a little too fast for Lynn

Holy smokes!  It's a dogpile! 

Lisa, I don't need this. I swear to God, I do not need this right now, okay? I've got a judge that's just aching to throw me in jail. An idiot who wants to fight me for two hundred dollars. Slaughtered pigs. Giant loud whistles. I ain't slept in five days. I got no money, a dress code problem, AND a little murder case which, in the balance, holds the lives of two innocent kids. Not to mention your
                    [taps his foot]  BIOLOGICAL CLOCK - my career, your life, our marriage, and let me see, what else can we pile on? Is there any more SHIT we can pile on to the top of the outcome of this case? Is it possible?
                    - Vinnie Gambini

So Lynn

After our gentle ribbing, what have you decided trekking poles or not?

Jerry

I'm noboby, who are you?

So Lynn

If you plan to use them in a race, make sure they are allowed. There are "purists"(sarcasm intended) that think poles, pacers, shoes are some form of cheating. Anywho, some races to appease those same purists don't allow poles.   

You'll ruin your knees!

So Lynn

I bought a pair and used them in a trail marathon on Saturday.  This particular trail is one of the more technical in the area and I just thought I'd try them out... the RD was OK with it so I did.  Bottom line, I actually used the poles more than I thought I would.  I used them for the frequent/quick climbs and I really used them on the steep, technical descents.  The descents would have caused me to slow down (without the poles) defensively due to my knee (surgery 2 months ago).  I am not certain I would have been able to finish without the poles. 

Hopefully, I will be able to get back to running the local trails without the poles for assistance, but will definitely consider using them in the future for mountain runs! 

A good add to the equipment list!

Lynn B

Did you find that other parts of your body felt tired after like your torso, shoulders and arms as I imagine there is a pay off?

Jerry

You'll ruin your knees!

Did you find that other parts of your body felt tired after like your torso, shoulders and arms as I imagine there is a pay off?

I can't say that there was no impact.  During the event, particularly early on, I felt I might get to a later stage of the race and not be able to use the sticks due to arm fatigue... but that never happened.  I even thought that I would be very sore in the area of my tricepts, but that didn't happen either.  I can tell I used the sticks... but I wouldn't say that I have any undue soreness or discomfort.  This was actually a very pleasant surprise!