Ultra Runners

There is Something Wrong With Me (Read 463 times)

They have HEED, which is causing me more stress than it should this running season, because every race has it, and I need to find a way to get in a sports drink while avoiding that evil stuff.

Not a fan of HEED either and It seems every race I do has this stuff also.  They need to give it some color also so I quit grabbing it instead of water at the aid stations.

DoppleBock

I find sports drink like beer - I really love certain beers ~ But I will slam any old swill if it is my only choice. 

Not a fan of HEED either and It seems every race I do has this stuff also.  They need to give it some color also so I quit grabbing it instead of water at the aid stations.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

2 funny points ~ 1)  Runners are a weird lot ~ We let one bad run or race play psycological head games even though we have 100 other data points to smile about and 2)  Nothing like pounding out a nice long run for therapy ~ specially if it is on trails ... Ok now I feel better ... 

Ugh.  It hurt.  I stunk.  I was a solid minute over where I thought I was at.  I was mopey the whole day then the next day I had a great long run, so I feel a little better.

Kalsarikännit

+1,000,000  I have never been more in favor of artificial coloring.

If it was just flavor I would suck it up, but it really, really upsets my stomach.  I meet so many runners that don't do well with it that it always surprises me how many races are carrying it.  I know it has to do with Hammer sponsoring the races.  I like the rest of Hammer's stuff by the way.  I think everything else they have is great.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Ugh.  It hurt.  I stunk.  I was a solid minute over where I thought I was at.  I was mopey the whole day 

Hey, that's my line.  

Walked  a good portion of the second half of my 5K. Who does that?

FF- I am going with a handheld until the drop bag at mile 9, then throwing on my hydration pack.  I'd rather just go with the handheld, but I need a way to carry drink mix.  They have HEED, which is causing me more stress than it should this running season, because every race has it, and I need to find a way to get in a sports drink while avoiding that evil stuff.

I am worried about how much time I'll lose looking for my drop bags.  Last year it seemed like I lost 5 minutes looking for it.  I was actually thinking about doing the opposite, running with the hydration pack until horseriders (mile 37?) then dumping the hydration pack and picking up the handheld.  I want the hydration pack as much for the storage as the convenience of having room for 10+ gels.  I know a lot of people run with just a handheld, but I am paranoid and like the security of having most of what I need for fueling/hydration on me.  Then again, do I really want to run with an extra 4 lbs on me?  Arggg.

DoppleBock

If I were trying to run my fastest Ice Age 50M I would be running with 1 hand held ... If I did not see a gallon or pitcher near by I dump 3-4 cups into it and move on.  I ran this way in my 1st IA50.  There are so many aide stations that there are times you can just slam a few cups and move on without a re-fill.

Last time I ran IA50 - I did the exact opposite - I ran with a camel back and a handheld. Handheld I mixed endurox into and camlback I refilled once.

I would not want to dig through a drop bag if I was trying to be fast ~ I might have one for an emergency, but my last couple 50s I do not even put them out. 

I am worried about how much time I'll lose looking for my drop bags.  Last year it seemed like I lost 5 minutes looking for it.  I was actually thinking about doing the opposite, running with the hydration pack until horseriders (mile 37?) then dumping the hydration pack and picking up the handheld.  I want the hydration pack as much for the storage as the convenience of having room for 10+ gels.  I know a lot of people run with just a handheld, but I am paranoid and like the security of having most of what I need for fueling/hydration on me.  Then again, do I really want to run with an extra 4 lbs on me?  Arggg.

Kalsarikännit

I would not want to dig through a drop bag if I was trying to be fast ~

Oh shit.  Now we're expected to be fast?

DoppleBock

I knew I was not fast last IA50 ~ So I ran with a camelback and a handheld ... who the hell cares when you already weigh 220#.  Either way I can carry all my fuel on my person and I use a lot of fuel.  Last time I carried 6 bags of endurox (300 cal each) + 12 gels.

I want the hydration pack as much for the storage as the convenience of having room for 10+ gels.  I know a lot of people run with just a handheld, but I am paranoid and like the security of having most of what I need for fueling/hydration on me.  Then again, do I really want to run with an extra 4 lbs on me?  Arggg.

Storage?  What the heck are you planning on carrying?  Don't they have the typical ultra smorgasboard at the aid stations?

I knew I was not fast last IA50 ~ So I ran with a camelback and a handheld ... who the hell cares when you already weigh 220#.  Either way I can carry all my fuel on my person and I use a lot of fuel.  Last time I carried 6 bags of endurox (300 cal each) + 12 gels.

DB - you are crazy.Smile  I remember you running with all that in your shorts and I was hoping to god they did not fall down. I just can't carry 14 gels in my shorts.  It would not be a maybe if my shorts fell down, it would be a certainty. 

Arggg, this is not helping my tweaking.  Maybe I could fit 3 gels in my handheld pocket, plus 4 in my shorts.  Stop at drop bag #2 on the way back from rice lake and refill on gels.  I may consume less than 14 gels and eat more solid food, who knows but I plan to eat something every 30 minutes. 

WG - yes you are expected to run fast!  Big grin

xor

You need a Sweet Vest.

You will look silly.  But lots of people will look just as silly.  The Sweet Vest is where it's at.  (ok, ok , for me.  Even with race ready shorts with pockets, the vest comes in very handy.)

You need a Sweet Vest.

You will look silly.  But lots of people will look just as silly.  The Sweet Vest is where it's at.  (ok, ok , for me.  Even with race ready shorts with pockets, the vest comes in very handy.)

I might look pretty awesome, but not sure how it will help with the fueling.Wink

Kalsarikännit

I packed my lucky shirt to wear.  I have had all of my success while racing in it (no, I do not think this will help me win the race, maybe help me not die).  I will not be wearing my singlet from another group here at RA, but I do get to race in a shirt from a race that was an obvious money grab from a for-profit group of RD's, is a weird poufy size and makes me look morbidly obese, and was once white but is now a mess of pit and "espresso love" gu stains.  I need the pack to cover it up.  Big grin

DoppleBock

If I remember they had gels at aide stations ... if you are not picky you could put some in you drop bags, but keep refilling from aide stations.  Many people will pin them to the top outside band of shorts and then flip them over so they ride just inside the short band at the top. 

DB - you are crazy.Smile  I remember you running with all that in your shorts and I was hoping to god they did not fall down. I just can't carry 14 gels in my shorts.  It would not be a maybe if my shorts fell down, it would be a certainty. 

Arggg, this is not helping my tweaking.  Maybe I could fit 3 gels in my handheld pocket, plus 4 in my shorts.  Stop at drop bag #2 on the way back from rice lake and refill on gels.  I may consume less than 14 gels and eat more solid food, who knows but I plan to eat something every 30 minutes. 

WG - yes you are expected to run fast!  Big grin